x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Size of the Jornada but more powerfull... what is it?

turbosteve Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 1:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Does this ideal machine exist? Before I rush out and sell my J690 for a J720 do other clamshell models exist with a new OS? I've looked at the mobilepro's a little but they are quite a bit bigger. I like the small size of the Jornada but was curious if someone made a more updated O/S model? Something a little more PPC software friendly perhaps?

Steve
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 1:23 PM
#
Something like this is probably the way forward. Not quite as big as a Jornada, so keyboard loses some usability and so on, but runs normal PocketPC OS. You could also look into the OQO handheld PC or Oragami projects.
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 1:31 PM
#
Sorry - the links in the "another new hpc" thread.
 Top of the page
turbosteve Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 1:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

The Oragami projects one looks cool but whoa does it look fragile. I guess there are just not to many options out there that look/work like the Jornada's and lean more towards the laptop end than the PDA end. I think the size of the 680-728 is perfect for my needs if they just made one with 400mhz or more and a little more up to date.

Steve
 Top of the page
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 2:12 PM
#
Some of those clamshell pocketpc's might be okay. You could try those jasjar things if you can find one with a better keyboard, or a Nokia Communicatior (not PocketPC compatable though, and expensive). Thats probably the best you'll get at the moment.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 2:32 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the sigmarion 3 is the answer. i have one

btw, the jasjar is much smaller, that is ok but i tried one for 1 day and got tired of the keyboard.
 Top of the page
turbosteve Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 5:10 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

cmonex - 2006-04-10 2:32 PM

the sigmarion 3 is the answer. i have one

btw, the jasjar is much smaller, that is ok but i tried one for 1 day and got tired of the keyboard.

Ahh the sigmarion 3 does seem much closer to what I was looking for it's pretty much the same width but a little deeper. Now the question where does one obtain one of these, as eBay seems devoid of them.

Steve
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-10 6:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

turbosteve - 2006-04-10 11:10 PM
Ahh the sigmarion 3 does seem much closer to what I was looking for it's pretty much the same width but a little deeper. Now the question where does one obtain one of these, as eBay seems devoid of them.

yep, it is deeper but it is no real problem, it is so much slimmer and lighter than the jornada. so overall it can't be feel that much for example when you're using it in your hands
the screen is a little smaller and has a higher resolution, this may prove a problme for you but personally i think it is OK

ebay isn't the best place to get them though a seller recently failed to sell one because the reserve price wasn't met. i emailed him and he said he still had it, a few days ago. but as i got another sig3 (as a spare machine) from another source i don't need that one... so...

another source is conics.net, it has them just at the same price as the prices the ebay ones go for. but you may have to take customs duty into account.

or a japanese friend can get you one for much less in akihabara..

yet another source (this is where i got my first one) : the yahoo group named handheldPCs: groups.yahoo.com/group/handheldPCs
this is a nice resource for sig3 owners as well. just like the cenet section on this site / forum.

anyway do your homework before choosing between j728 and sig3

Edited by cmonex 2006-04-10 6:25 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker Page Icon Posted 2006-04-11 3:18 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hmm, I could have a drawerful of Sig 3s if I hadn't gone on other spending expeditions.

Nevermind, I'm happy with my gear and probably too lazy to hack the Sig to English anyway. That and I'm having problems enough viewing my Libretto screens until I've had a pot of coffee or tea to open my eyes.
 Top of the page
turbosteve Page Icon Posted 2006-04-11 8:31 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

The Sig3 definately does look nice, I think I'll have to work towards one of those but I'm probably going to be getting a J720 or if the gods shine down upon me a J728 if it finds its way to me cheap enough. Thanks for all your input.

Steve
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2006-04-11 9:16 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Smartbook G138 a little bigger but it good to go. no infrared.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2006-04-11 9:25 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The big downside to the Smartbook is its lack of expansion options. The downside to the Sig III is of course its Japanese OS version. To me, almost all HPC devices are compromises in some way or another.
 Top of the page
turbosteve Page Icon Posted 2006-04-18 1:47 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

The Sig III still seems like the best choice as an altenrative since it is closest in size and functionality to the Jornada. I got back from vacation late last night and used the 690 on the road and it was quite helpfull. If I only had wireless internet in it I would have been VERY happy. No matter how hard I tried I could not find a bluetooth adapter locally for it (to allow BT DUN on Sprint Vision). Oh well....

Steve
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-04-18 3:35 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

turbosteve - 2006-04-18 7:47 PM

The Sig III still seems like the best choice as an altenrative since it is closest in size and functionality to the Jornada. I got back from vacation late last night and used the 690 on the road and it was quite helpfull. If I only had wireless internet in it I would have been VERY happy. No matter how hard I tried I could not find a bluetooth adapter locally for it (to allow BT DUN on Sprint Vision). Oh well....

Steve

socket bt will work just fine, it works in my 680.
it's a rev F, not sure about newer socket cards.

wallythacker - 2006-04-11 9:18 AM

Hmm, I could have a drawerful of Sig 3s if I hadn't gone on other spending expeditions.

Nevermind, I'm happy with my gear and probably too lazy to hack the Sig to English anyway. That and I'm having problems enough viewing my Libretto screens until I've had a pot of coffee or tea to open my eyes.

haha, that was what i said!! before finally giving in and buying a sig3.. hahaha
you'll see once the day will come and you'll buy a sig3...

Rocketman - 2006-04-12 3:25 AM

The big downside to the Smartbook is its lack of expansion options. The downside to the Sig III is of course its Japanese OS version. To me, almost all HPC devices are compromises in some way or another.

sig3 is 95% english.. i have no problems regarding the OS language..
which hpc isnt a compromise for you?
for me j728 and sig3 aren't compromises. sure everything can always be improved on but they're not what i'd call a compromise , as i'm happy with them.
hmm, bsquare, there the battery life is somewhat of a compromise (as it is internal. just like on the smartbook). zaurus c760 has a smallish screen. i still didn't find an extended battery or a battery charger for sig3 and i could go on and on but i'm happy with them overall..
but you don't sound too happy...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.201 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 34