x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Browser for Handheld PC.....

1 2 3 4 5
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-08-27 7:13 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Yeah I know, it's easy to use the WM5.0 or use CE.NET 4.1/4.2, but currently, I'm getting bids from professional coders to code a decent browser for the Handheld PC and above platform at rentacoder.com

I got a reply, and am hoping I'm getting more bids... I think I can get this done in a little over $100...

I'll let you guys know how it goes....

Remember that Minimo petition thing I started long ago.....

Edited by stingraze 2007-08-27 7:31 AM
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-08-27 10:23 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I got one bid: $100. hmmm
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-08-28 7:02 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I've got total of 3 bids, and one from an experienced mobile programming company.

It might work out.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-08-29 2:52 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

mmm interesting. though 30 days is a little tight.

anyway i would like to give a hint: there may be another browser already in progress. so maybe it would be a waste to make this another browser.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-08-29 3:01 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Is it confirmed there is another browser in progress? and the quality? is it really faster than the IE in Handheld PC?
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-08-30 9:05 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

stingraze - 2007-08-29 3:01 AM

Is it confirmed there is another browser in progress? and the quality? is it really faster than the IE in Handheld PC?

stingraze

Don't stop the bids because there 'may' be another browser in progress......ask for conclusive proof that the rumor is true. We have heard the rumors of a browser in progress before (it was all a big secret) but nothing ever materialized.

Edited by Hurricane John 2007-08-30 9:05 AM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-08-30 9:43 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Agreed. I've started - and shelved - projects because there's "something in the pipeline" which has never materialised.

I'd recommend keeping on with the bids. I'd also be interested to see what the requirements are for the browser and how people are estimating! I would be happy to chip into this... Perhaps the community could end up owning this? I'd advocate opening it all up, too.

But that's running before we can walk
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-08-30 5:56 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I got one ridiculous quote saying it will take 8man months and $22,500! Crazy...
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-08-31 4:13 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

That's more like it IMHO.

What's the base that you're suggesting, or the requirement statement (functional and non-functional)?
 Top of the page
gorgon5 Page Icon Posted 2007-08-31 5:54 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Why not just get someone to code a compatibility layer like the (now defunct?) redgear so we could just use Opera?
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2007-08-31 8:17 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Not to preach to the choir, but is there a requirements document for an HPC browser that someone has created? Would be nice to share it with the forum for input. Perhaps some such could be hosted and maintained on the HPC forum. The features would likely be never ending with the input of the masses, but could be prioritized and priced accordingly. Should include a list of sites that the browser would access to pass the sniff test, as well as HTML and java script compatibility requirements. One could compare features of known browsers and use the essence of those for starters. Performance will be an issue.

Whether a browser developed from scratch, or a layer, this document would form the basis for an RFP (request for proposal) response from prospective developers to include cost, features, development headcount, and development flow time, alpha and beta test and schedules, etc.

Need to decide what platforms would be suported and what variances are needed to support a prioritized hardware support list.

So, to keep from garbage-in, garbage-out, we need more rigor to the process if we are serious. Of course the more we can pin down the requirements the closer the result will be to something peole will use.

How's that for stirring the pot? :-)
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2007-08-31 8:53 AM
#
H/PC Elite

If you Google "RFP format" you encounter a bazillion. Here is a sample of one of the first ones that comes up: http://adm.idaho.gov/purchasing/manualsforms/ModelRFPFormat.pdf
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-08-31 6:14 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

How much do you think we can raise for a new browser?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-08-31 6:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

gorgon5 - 2007-08-31 11:54 AM

Why not just get someone to code a compatibility layer like the (now defunct?) redgear so we could just use Opera?

redgear is not defunct, or at least that's my latest information. this is what i hinted at in my previous post.

anyway, the quote about the 8month thing is much more realistic than 30 days and 100$, for a serious browser.

and if it isnt a serious browser, we dont need it.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2007-08-31 8:36 PM
#
H/PC Elite

My put is from my 15 yrs s/w development management defining and implenmenting engineering requirements (though I never wrote a line of code) and if you have no hard requirements specified, forget it...it is a dream, not to be confused with "Shallow Hal"....the movie..
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 10