x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

add hardware wizard not working

brent
brent Page Icon Posted 2005-04-14 6:45 AM
#
I just bought a new DVD burner to replace my old broken one. When I installed it, though, Windows wasn't able to find drivers for it. It still reads and writes (although it's not fully functional) DVDs, but the Add new hardware wizard comes up every time I turn on the computer. I'm pretty sure that windows should be able to find the drivers itself, as the new drive didn't come with any.

Also, I have a DVD-ROM drive, and I disconnected it temporarily. After I reconnected it, windows now asks for its drivers too! Does anybody know what might be wrong? I think it has something to do with windows and not the hardware.

Thanks so much!
-Brent
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-14 7:27 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Bad firmware / IDE cable / IDE channel (master / slave) assignment.

But what does this have to do with a Portable Digital Assistant support forum?
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-04-27 4:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Try this:

Remove both DVD drives, then reboot into Windows. Shut down the computer and put ONE of the drives back in. Reboot into Windows again. Don't try accessing the drive until it has finished installing the drivers through the add hardware wizard. You should now find the drive installed as a new drive letter. If it's Windows XP, you should check to see that you have at least SP1 installed. Some really funny stuff can happen under the original unpatched XP!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 8