x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 locked up!

BANE J720
BANE J720 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-15 6:56 AM
#
well! I have had my first real annoyance with my 720 , ever really. last night i was browsing the internet with my cisco 350 wireless card, and all of a sudden the machine just stopped responding.... Happenes everyonce in a while, I'll just soft reboot it, that sorts it out... I did that and as the machine loaded again it loaded in the exact same way, nothing responding, it dind't even ask for my system password :S So naturally i got worried. Did a soft reboot several times, and finally accepted fate, and had to perform a hard reset. my first hard reset I had made a system backup , but it as from like a month ago, so there is few things I have lost, (thankfully all my important stuff is on my 5GB Pcmcia harddrive, but I lost the drivers and client utility for my wireless card. I'm at uni, and everyone has gone home for the weekend, so i can't get a laptop to download the drivers until sunday :S and even if I downloaded them on the computers in uni, I would have no way to get the program installed :S ARG sorry i am ranting now.

FRUSTRATION!

......IB a n e
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-15 7:15 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Can you get the 720 onto the net via the analogue modem / GPRS?
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-15 7:58 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

BANE J720 - 2005-04-15 6:56 AM

well! I have had my first real annoyance with my 720 , ever really. last night i was browsing the internet with my cisco 350 wireless card, and all of a sudden the machine just stopped responding.... Happenes everyonce in a while, I'll just soft reboot it, that sorts it out... I did that and as the machine loaded again it loaded in the exact same way, nothing responding, it dind't even ask for my system password :S So naturally i got worried. Did a soft reboot several times, and finally accepted fate, and had to perform a hard reset. my first hard reset I had made a system backup , but it as from like a month ago, so there is few things I have lost, (thankfully all my important stuff is on my 5GB Pcmcia harddrive, but I lost the drivers and client utility for my wireless card. I'm at uni, and everyone has gone home for the weekend, so i can't get a laptop to download the drivers until sunday :S and even if I downloaded them on the computers in uni, I would have no way to get the program installed :S ARG sorry i am ranting now.

FRUSTRATION!

......IB a n e

Just out of curiosity, how long have you had your 720? I've had a 720 for about 3 years and during that time, I had to hard-reset it at least two or three times a year. Soft-resets were not a daily occurence but almost. In a nutshell, the 720 was very unstable. Unlike by NEC MobilePro 900 - very rate soft-resets, I think I had one hard-reset, caused by a faulty software that I've since trashed. So if you've had your 720 for some time and this is the first time that it freezes on you, consider yourself lucky. And take my advice - backup regularly! Full backups, that is, registry and all. The only thing I don't backup is the CF card, which I backup to my desktop at least once a month, more often depending on the activity and relevance of newly added data files and programs. HTH, good luck!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-15 10:26 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I'm in agreement with you there uncle ben, it does, with the 720's seem to be down to the batch. I have one which is problematic and antother which will just stay running 24/7 for months and not hickup once.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-04-15 7:44 PM
#
H/PC Elder

hmmm, my 728 has never had a problem so bad that I had to hard reset. Do you think the 728 build is more stable?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-15 9:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow interesting idea that it depends on the exact device. i have a 720 and a 728. 728 has never locked up so far (i've got it for some weeks). i have never had to soft reset it due to lockup or freezing. but i think it's down to just my usage because i had to soft reset the 720 at the beginning quite often, after that i had to do it less and less often and finally almost never. you just have to figure it out but i can imagine that you're (C:Amie) right too.

Edited by cmonex 2005-04-15 9:05 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-15 9:07 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh and i think it's not indifferent what software you're using. i had to stop using resinfo. it caused two hard resets (when turning the device on, lockup, and i had no other choice). no hard reset since then...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-15 9:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

My 720 will stall when idling, aspecially when runnng 2.11 or lower apps. Not a hint of it on the other one. There is also a lot of noise leakage.
 Top of the page
BANE not logged in
BANE not logged in Page Icon Posted 2005-04-19 10:52 AM
#
Hey, well I have had it for nearly 2 years... I soft reset every once in a while...i have trouble sometimes with the sound level sticking when I am listening to WMP, so I can't turn it up or down... but I don't mid soft resets at all, in fact this is the ONLY hard reset I have ever done. I will take your advice guys, back up fully, regularly on my 5GB Pcmcia hd, and I am trying to create a back up off all the programs I need/want on the drive wso I can eith install them directly, and if its pc install, I'll still have it ready Everything is back working guys, thanx for the help....

......Ib a n e
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10