x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The "Forum ideas / Bugs / Request" thread

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next »
Frozen
Niteman1969 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 1:30 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Suggestion for Sticky Topic - Program List??......
Would be nice to have a good list of still available supported
apps wether freeware/demo/shareware.

Would be something like this

App Name Category c.e1/c.e.2.x.x/HPC2K arm/mips/Sh3/sh4 licence

imov chat N Y Y Y Y Y Y free/pay
messenger client

The name of the app would be able to be clicked on for a weblink
to the homepage.

Or there could be 4 seperate sticky lists one in each of the ce1 / ce2 / hpc2k
and ce.4xx forums.

Regards

Niteman1969
 Top of the page Quote Reply
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 11:55 AM
#
How about adding a "devices owned" option to user's profiles (do we HAVE profiles?) or signatures?

Users could enter in the Handheld PCs they own, and then have the option of displaying this information automatically in their profile/signature or not!

One of the many possible benefits is that users could search to see who owns the same Handheld PC as themselves, allow same-device users to share hints and tips, etc...
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 12:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's already been discussed further back in this thread.
You can currently add your own list to your signature in your control panel. There isn't a specific facility for that, as said when it was last discussed. It will be considered for the 2.2 rewrite.
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 12:43 PM
#
See? See?

I'm not the only one that thinks a Software Availability List would be a good idea...
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 12:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes, it definitely would be a good idea!!
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 1:05 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I've not seen anoyone who said it was a bad idea... so...
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 7:48 PM
#
As far as I'm concerned, if this site had a Software Availability List, I wouldn't have any need to visit any other Handheld PC site; virtually ALL of my online time would be spent HERE because it would offer EVERYTHING I need!
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 8:13 PM
#
H/PC Elite

mmm almost anything. Having a SCL is different from having a software archive, so you'll eventually need to go to Henri's site
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 10:11 PM
#
matrixcore - 2005-07-05 10:13 AM

mmm almost anything. Having a SCL is different from having a software archive, so you'll eventually need to go to Henri's site

Not necessarily- doesn't the above site focus solely on Handheld PC 2000 devices?
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 10:20 PM
#
Besides, seeing as most handheld/PDA software is distributed through developer's Web sites and Handango, those are likely to be the only two sites that you are redirected to; links to the site where the software is available could be provided directly in the SCL in the same fashion as the HCL...
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 10:27 PM
#
It would save Handheld PC users (of all generations) the trouble of spending weeks (maybe even MONTHS for the really old devices!) searching for compatible software; they could view an up-to-date list of software that is compatible with their device, complete with links to download and/or purchase the applicable software, all from the one location!

I'm sure that many Factor members would consider it one of the most valuable resources here...
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-04 11:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CybaCowboy - 2005-07-05 4:20 AM

Besides, seeing as most handheld/PDA software is distributed through developer's Web sites and Handango, those are likely to be the only two sites that you are redirected to; links to the site where the software is available could be provided directly in the SCL in the same fashion as the HCL...

no, it is very rare that the links would point to handango on henri's site

but your idea is good as i already said
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-07-05 12:05 AM
#
H/PC Elite

It is a good idea indeed, what i was talking about when i wrote about a repository is that it is needed to avoid the dreaded, but always present dead links. it wouldn't have any sense saying that X or Y software is compatible, if there's no place in the net you can get it. And yes, henri's site is for HPC2000 ARM devices for the most part, but there are some apps for other arch's that can also be downloaded from the sites it links to.
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-07-05 1:58 AM
#
Couldn't you just rely on Factor user's feedback for dead links and download locations?

Even if you simply provide a link to the developer's home page or E-Mail address, then users would simply have to E-Mail the developer's sales department to see where this software can be downloaded and/or purchased from...

You wouldn't have to go into detailed compatibility (although it would be preferable), just CE compatibility (eg. CE 1, H/PC Pro, etc).
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-05 7:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

User feedback? Blood out of a stone.

Putting a link to a developers page is one thing - but what about all the sunk developers... where do you send people who want to go see Utopiasoft... doesn't exist anymore.
Putting email addresses is quite another, and one big kettle of "you're causing me spam" fish. Many developers don't want to be contacted, opting for website submission forms.

There are an awful lot of variables.

I had a jig around with a calculator yesterday, worked out what sort of bandwidth is available through the T line to the site off-peak, and as a mean value.
One or two of you have offered to set up your own repositories using your own dsl...
So how about this. If we could work out a way to sync any file repository between the main server here and the private servers held by members, then and load balance load here using mirrors. Is that an idea that grabs anybody?
« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 27