x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 7xx Smartcard reader

htefs Page Icon Posted 2007-09-21 4:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi all!
Don't bother me, for opening a new thread to this topic
Today I have good news: The Smartcard reader of the Jornada 7xx is not that useless as we all are where thinking. With help of Wolfgang Rolke (maybe You know him from his wonderful tools WR Tools Resinfo and WR Tools CpuLoad) I managed it, to read out some informations from the german "Geldkarte" only using standard functions from the Windows CE SDK. You don't need any special DLL's or something. Everything is inside the Jornada 7xx.
If You are interested in how we did that, have a look at this thread in Juergen Rothbergers handheldPC Forum (german only, sorry). There You will find a smartcard.zip, which contains the console application and the sourcecode. Take the last one from "Electron", which is much better than my version.
At the moment is Wolfgang trying to write an application for handling GSM-SIM-cards. I hope he can soon publish his results to the public...
I'm just trying to find a way to read and write memory only smartcards...
Kind regards, Helge
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-09-21 6:13 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Excellent work. We have always know that the reder worked, just that no one had ever written any interface applications for it to talk to the system (usefully).

The thing is, what real practical applications can we come up with for it? Sync your PIM to a SIM card... though none of mine would go in there as they're all thumbnail size
 Top of the page
htefs Page Icon Posted 2007-09-21 6:24 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

You can use an adapter to put Your SIM in the smartcard reader. Look here...
Kind regards, Helge
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-09-21 7:15 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

That's fantastic news!

I tried to get this working myself as I used to be quite involved in the smartcard marketplace, but never managed to fnid any API information.

Well done!!!!

I have around 1000 memory only smartcards still kicking around, however they're only 256bit: we used them for demonstration purposes back around 5 years ago for a proof of concept of a multi-application smartcard. (All the multi-application stuff was rather done with smoke and mirrors )
 Top of the page
htefs Page Icon Posted 2007-09-21 7:27 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

At the moment only "intelligent" smartcards will work, because only these cards can be accessed by the windows API withoput additional DLLs! "intelligent" means, they have a controller on board, in this case the german "Geldkarte" and GSM-SIMs.
The smartcard-API is described in some microsoft online-documents (try search there for smartcard). I think, it is described too in the Windows CE SDK documentation. The protocol of the smartcards is described in ISO 7816-4, the protocol of a GSM-card is described in ETSI GSM 11.11.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2007-09-21 10:54 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

*shudder* this brings back horrible memories. I had a great working knowledge of 7816... Thankfully, the majority has been purged from my memory!

Top of the page
htefs Page Icon Posted 2007-10-14 7:06 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well, now it is official. Wolfgang has released WR Tools Smartcard for the Jornada 720. Until now only in german...
The application can read information from the german "Geldkarte" and phonebook from a GSM-SIM-card. Due to some restrictions of the Jornada 720 smartcard reader, not every GSM SIM can be read out I myself have some, that work and some that don't. Try it yourself...
Kind regards, Helge
 Top of the page
rbsfou Page Icon Posted 2007-10-14 9:14 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

If it could be read by eVB that would be great! You could use it for getting credit card numbers in without having to type. Also, this might sound stupid, but given the fact you have to put a smart card in chip-side down, wouldn't a sim fall out of it's adapter?
 Top of the page
htefs Page Icon Posted 2007-10-14 9:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Look at the attached picture and You will see, the SIM will not fall out of the adapter...

(SIMadapter.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SIMadapter.jpg (33KB - 8 downloads)
 Top of the page
ExPsionMan
ExPsionMan Page Icon Posted 2008-02-14 8:25 AM
#
Hi - This sounds very useful and excellent news. - Am I understanding correclty that software will enable me to use my SIM card (in the adapter) to access from the HP Dial-up application and connect to my ISP? / i.e. Does the card reader show up as a device in the modem window on the Service Provider Tab?

Regards
ExPsionMan
 Top of the page
htefs Page Icon Posted 2008-02-14 8:55 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

No. The smartcard-software was only developed, to show, that the smardcard-reader in the Jornada 720 is not completely useless. But the software is more a proof of concept, not a really useful tool, as You can only read out the whole content of a german ZKA-Geldkarte and of some GSM-SIM-cards. The software does not integrate into other applications.
The development was stopped, as we realized, that the smartcard-reader of the Jornada 720 is not able to read all SIM-cards. Some worked, some don't. Nobody knows, why. Maybe the reader is too slow.
Kind regards,
Helge
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2008-09-19 4:39 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Would this work with GemPlus chipcards too? It would be interesting to see if you could develop some sort of CSP for the Jornada. Add a certificate adn you're ready for internet banking!

Cheers
SainT
 Top of the page
htefs Page Icon Posted 2008-09-19 5:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Aren't the GemPlus cards these cards, that are supported by the Jornada 720 by default? AFAIK there is a smartcard service provider for the Gemplus GPK4000 ImagineCard in the ROM of the Jornada 720.
What we did is, to access cards, whithout using any provider, only by using the information from the several ISO or ETSI standards.
Kind regards, Helge
 Top of the page
dans34
dans34 Page Icon Posted 2008-10-21 6:23 AM
#
i realise this maybe an old post .. i downloaded the smartcard tool when i insert the card i get

Chipkartenleser gefunden
ATR der chipkarte
die anforderung konnte wegen eines E/A-geratefehlers nicht ausgefuhrt werden

i think this is an error I/O error ? ..
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.266 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11