x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

!gwes.exe = brick?

1 2
kitor Page Icon Posted 2007-10-01 9:21 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

GWES must be as launch30

cmonex: part of code of WinCE*** (you know what ;-) ) is making new keys and modifiting registry. I'll try to make sth to rebuild launch30 and depend30 keys
 Top of the page
AJenbo Page Icon Posted 2007-10-01 11:29 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Omg being so spesific, and still changable seams so...
I am so gratefull that you will help me
 Top of the page
kitor Page Icon Posted 2007-10-01 2:09 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

WTF, registry modifiting is very hard using c++ :/
Cmonex: so what's the depend? hexed time to wait before running app or what? I hope that without it when i load gwes and explorer form my app (shellexecuteex function), explorer won't start.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-01 9:31 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ah registry modifying, just some stupid API's...

depends key specifies which apps must start and send signal before the particular app (gwes here) can load.
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2007-12-17 6:04 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Windows CE could care less what you name GWES. Lord knows, I've named it things like gwes_ce420_XP.exe and loaded it from \Temp or a flash disk and never had any problems booting a device to a usable state provided you specify its full path in the registry and your storage medium initializes early enough for the OS to load it. I doubt it really matters if its launch30 or not either. As long as the DependsXX entries are valid, I think it should be fine.

Now, about writing a CLI app to get back to some kind of usable state...

You can try, but I'm not sure how successful you will be. With most of these Windows CE GPS devices (and even Pocket PC/Smartphone) the autorun feature is just a function of their frontend/shell app and since they usually depend on a GUI to run (and thus GWES) you might just be out of luck in that regard. You can try and hope for the best, though.

Edited by TFGBD 2007-12-17 6:07 AM
 Top of the page
AJenbo Page Icon Posted 2007-12-17 9:46 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

arh thanks for the update, I think my device must be bricked then as I ahvent been able to get it to connect to my pc even when naming gwes explorer, I guess it must be because of the dependancy strings in the registry. since im not much of a programmer and have fully working ppc I think ill just scap this and move on to other things. don't have a car either
 Top of the page
TFGBD Page Icon Posted 2007-12-17 8:03 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Oh, I'm so sorry AJenbo... I never realized your PNA used a hive based registry. I always assumed it was like most of the other PNAs out there and stored it in RAM. I dunno. I can't imagine there would be no way to do a full factory reset or recover from it somehow... I would at least keep trying and I wish you luck... ;P

But doesn't your father have more than one of these? Can't you just switch one?

Edited by TFGBD 2007-12-17 8:04 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-18 3:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

the hp ipaq 316 uses persistent registry too

and yeah there should be a way...
 Top of the page
AJenbo Page Icon Posted 2007-12-18 6:13 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

If i switch it i think that would make the guy that gets my old one very unhappy but my dad did actually sell the renaming devices so that not an option any way.
Just tryed short circuiting every possible connection on the main board, found 2 ways to shut down the device, one that reboots it, another to make the screen completely white and one to make half the pixels on the screen jump 4 pixels up. no magic factory default though.
I'm actualy glad that this device had a persistent registry having it in ram is realy anoying as you have to hack it each time it runs out of battery, and this one dosn't to auto run either so that would have become very pesky.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-19 9:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

do you have no option in bootloader menu to clean the registry?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 14