x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 680e PCMCIA problems

subzero Page Icon Posted 2005-04-20 1:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, I have an HP Jornada 680e and when I plug any PCMCIA card into it, it doesn't seem to work/do anything ... does anyone know how to fix this problem, or know what I might be doing wrong?

At first I thought it was because there's no drivers for each card I tried... but I don't seem to be able to find drivers for anything what-so-ever, could someone also possibly suggest any helpful resources where I might be able to find drivers for common PCMCIA network cards?

Thanks in advance.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-20 3:18 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The HCL is the place to be:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=10

Don't expect CE to afford you the same compatibility that mainstream Windows does. CE for a start has a driver catalogue of around 150KB, mainstream Windows XP has one of 200MB.

With CE hardware it is all about third party drivers, just like back in the good old days of the PC
 Top of the page
subzero Page Icon Posted 2005-04-20 4:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for your prompt response...

I bought my Jornada from Ebay, and unfortunately the compact flash slot isn't operational. So I've concluded that I need to buy a PCMCIA card reader which takes compact flash.

Your response was helpful in me finding this
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-20 5:37 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hey,
as mentioned in another tread, wich i cant remember where @ right off hand,
you can unscrew that little black base on the bottom of your jornada wich is actully a false bottom, and it reveals the cf slot and the real bottomof the Jornada, I actully just bought a Jornadfa 680e of of ebay with one of those false bottoms, nothing wrong with the cf slot, the record buttons are gone, but i figure that will be easily replaced.... but anyway with the bottom off open the cf slot and put in a card and it should work just fine, slap the bottom back on or leave it off and screw the screws back in the unit its self, up to you....
 Top of the page
Mart Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 7:18 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hey ... I got the exact same one from eBay too, with the false bottom. But when I looked back on the ebay sellers information (justdeals-uk by-the-way) it mentioned there that the compact flash slot didn't work, and ... it doesn't...lol.

But I use a SanDisk PCMCIA CF card reader, works like a charm
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 11:35 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

You put a CF card in it to try?, not a wifi or some type 2 but a memory card?...any way...I got this froma guy in the US, located in Indiana,......Has the false bottom, but every thing works, except ofcourse like mentioned before the record/play buttons are missing.....Crow
 Top of the page
Mart Page Icon Posted 2005-04-22 5:41 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Yeah, I put a CF card into the slot... and it wasn't recognized, but now I have the PCMCIA reader, it's all good.

Mine too also has those buttons missing, maybe I'll come across some spares and re-attach them
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-22 6:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

subzero - 2005-04-20 1:33 PM

Hi, I have an HP Jornada 680e and when I plug any PCMCIA card into it, it doesn't seem to work/do anything ... does anyone know how to fix this problem, or know what I might be doing wrong?

Several members here purchased one of the custom Dutch Railway 680e units, mostly from tigerdirect.com. If yours has a clear plastic piece on the bottom and no access to the CF slot (on bottom), you just need to get a Torx T6 screw driver and remove the custom bottom. You can leave it off and do not need to replace the screws. In fact, you can end up with some odd keyboard failures if you try to replace them all.

You will find your 680e is much more stable with the bottom removed.

After you remove the bottom, you will spot a black box. You push aside the plastic latch and press down on the opposite corner to open\expose the CF Card Slot. There should be an illustration on the box that shows you how to do this. Any Type I CF card should automatically load and work. I use inexpensive Viking 256MB cards in mine. As for a CF card adaptor for your PCMCIA slot, you can get one for under $12. It should show up on screen as Storage Card I...

As for the external audio-voice recorder\playback switches, the 680 is infamous for its terrible speaker and mic. You can buy a complete kit from the HP Jornada site for a few dollars but they are difficult to install. Some users, like myself, either carefully removed the Dutch logo from the base and glued it over the holes or placed a piece of colored duct or metal tape over them.

If you mean you inserted some sort of PCMCIA card device (wifi, etc) without result, you must be specific so users can inform you whether there are SH3 handheld Pro capatible drivers for the device.

--Bruised
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 12