x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sig3 Relocated DLL's to SD card (8.5Mb more free)

1 2 3 4
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-10-19 12:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Just a quick note as I am about to leave work (Also I am not sure if this is old news or not so sorry if I am just reporting somthing everyone knows)...

about 10 min ago I suceeded in relocating all non rom DLL's from the windows directory to my SD card.

Total size 8.5MB that I no longer have eating into my available RAM.

I checked some apps that I know require dll's from the windows directory and they all work perfectly.... Also checked my socket BT card as I know all the dll's are installed to windows dir. It worked perfectly as well...

Again all worked fine.

Will pop up instructions later (but for anyone who knows it's almost the same as PPC but you need to create the registry entry rather than just add to one already there)...

John

Edited by mr-mac 2007-10-19 12:41 PM
 Top of the page
Gadgetguy Page Icon Posted 2007-10-19 12:58 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Please share the details - this is great news!!!
 Top of the page
perazz Page Icon Posted 2007-10-19 1:07 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Wonderful news! I will be awaiting for your instructions, mr-mac! Great!
 Top of the page
deusexaethera
deusexaethera Page Icon Posted 2007-10-19 3:49 PM
#
Tell me how you did it. Now.

Don't make me get angry...
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-10-19 5:29 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

lol. this is good news.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-19 7:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i never had 8.5MB in storage ram...

there is a version of picsel andreas stuermer made working on SD, hosted on my site

the rest, is that done like menneisyys does it? because you are referring to pocketpc's..

what surprises me is the socket BT also works that way. is it the newest cenet version?

Edited by cmonex 2007-10-19 7:53 PM
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-10-20 5:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Cmonex, The Socket driver is the one you linked me to about 1 month ago.

Ok basically I did it the same way as they do in pocket PC`s (though I think the entry exists in PPC`s as std and you just add a path).

I used TRE and Total Commander.

My hint before doing this is probablly follow my method. I moved one dll to directory on the SD that made a single program stop working. I was then able to make sure my registry entry worked by soft re-set and running the program to see if it was worked again. Once happy you can move rest of dll`s

1. I created a directory on my sd card. You can call it whatever you want but I went for 'SD Card\sys'

2. In TRE I created a new key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE called 'Loader'

3. I tapped loader in TRE and created new multistring called 'SystemPath'.

4. Double tap on the new multistring you just created. in the data entry boy that appears pop \Windows\ on line one. Hit return and pop \SD Card\Sys\ then click on OK

5. Using Total Commander I went to the windows directory ( in TRE`s show menu I clicked hide files in rom. Then I simply cut and pasted all dll`s left showing from Windows to Sys on the SD card.

6. Lastly Soft Reset.

7. go to system in control panel and adjust slider as you will have gained lots of ram.

Job done

PIE over wi-fi seems to be quicker and I have lots more room in ram. I belive you can also relocate and exe files not in rom from windows dir to sd with this change as well (but It may also require you to edit links and I havn`t tested it).

My only issue so far is occasionally when turning on the unit my wi-fi card doesn`t always load the driver (though if I just remove and replace it all is ok. In my mind it is probs because it sometimes tries to load the driver before sd is running but for me the 8.5Mb extra memory and speed-up in internet browsing on wi-fi is more valuable than this small inconvenience.

Enjoy

John
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-10-20 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Actually, now I have done some more browsing it`s quite surprising the speedup over wi-fi.

The only thing I think I moved that could affect it are the Dll`s for the wi-fi card but why that would make it faster I have no clue.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-20 5:45 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well yes CE doesnt like it if there is too much clutter in storage ram.

oh so it is just the loader path

my concern about the socket driver was whether the SD card loads fast enough on reboot before the socket driver is trying to load..

i dontremember which one i linked for you..
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-10-21 1:55 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2007-10-20 10:45 PM

well yes CE doesnt like it if there is too much clutter in storage ram.

oh so it is just the loader path

my concern about the socket driver was whether the SD card loads fast enough on reboot before the socket driver is trying to load..

i dontremember which one i linked for you..

Think it was the latest driver as it worked better and was on your site (link you gave).

The cards seem to work fine (as I say once in a while it doesn't work quick enough and I need to remove and insert card). However, if that is an issue then you can still leave any dll's in windows that you wish so you could leave the dll's for any drivers you use all the time in memory. It may depend on your SD speed as well, I have a 44x crucial one so slower cards might conceivably cause more driver issues (but as mentioned you could just relocate dll's for software.

It is defo fast enough on re-boot (not had any issues yet while re-booting - just sometimes when switching it on).

Already got the picsel browser and it works great from SD.

Not sure if it also helps but for anyone who uses the flash7 on your site I also managed to make this work on my SD. The only issue that made me think it didn't work at first is the little program that you have to use to register the flash dll file has to sit on the same media as the dll. If the dll is on SD and the program run from memory it doesn't work. So just make sure everything flash.dll and the registry program are in the same place and it works fine. this is handy as the flash file is quite chunky in size.

Anyway I hope people are able to make good use of this path to relocate dll's it really has speeded browsing up (more than clocking to 530 does).

later

John

Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2007-10-21 5:10 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

Looks interesting.
Can be applied to a 900c running cmonex v1.0???
Willing to try anything to increase browsing speed!!!!
Cheers
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-10-21 5:35 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex is ore experienced but I can't see why not...

I guess try it on dll's for one app and see
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-21 6:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes it can be applied, actually you already have a systempath for the 900c, it is the root of the userdisk (internal disk)

but IE6 wont be faster. install and use opera mobile, that'll solve your problems!
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-10-22 7:33 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Quick hint,

Don't move the Ati driver dll's or you won't be able to see the SD card

It's the 3 files in the SDIO update.
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2007-10-22 9:33 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I have tried moving all non ROM dlls to SD card. But there are 8 dlls that remained within the WINDOWS folder even though I moved them over to the SD card.

They are:
ace_ddi.dll
atisdio.dll
atiusbh.dll
pcmcia.dll
shlwapi.dll
touch.dll
wavdev.dll
xsusbser.dll

I know for atisdio and atiusbh.dll are not supposed to be moved but for the rest?

The total space thats supposed to free up after moving the dll is about 4M and not 8.5M. The thing is I dont see it in the control panel...
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 11