x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sig3 Relocated DLL's to SD card (8.5Mb more free)

1 2 3 4
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2007-10-22 9:34 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

How about running the Picsel Browser from SD card? I have installed the cab. But how does one remove the old Picsel Browser from the machine if its in the ROM?
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-10-22 9:39 AM
#
H/PC Elder

You would think that...

But picsel browser does not reside in rom. picsel sits in 4MB of flash along with some other files. When the system is hard-reset these files are copied into ram.

You can easilly delete them in the normal way. If you are worried use TRE and in the show menu click hide files in ROM. You will easilly see the picsel files remain in view.

John
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-22 9:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tech_girl: 8.5MB is only for mr_mac, this varies depending on what you've installed.
 Top of the page
tech_girl Page Icon Posted 2007-10-22 11:39 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Understood... I managed to move was about 4M but I wasnt able to see that difference in the control panel. I do have plenty of programs installed. Anyhow I did a hard reset yesterday and cleared out the programs that were good to have but not necessary...

Thanks, mr_mac...I have deleted the original picsel browser.

I have deinstaller in the S3. After moving the dlls, it didnt work. So I guess those cant be moved to SD card.

The CF wifi card which I used was ok...I managed to get online without any inconvenience.

Edited by tech_girl 2007-10-22 11:42 PM
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-10-23 4:49 AM
#
H/PC Elder

tech_girl - 2007-10-22 2:33 PM

I have tried moving all non ROM dlls to SD card. But there are 8 dlls that remained within the WINDOWS folder even though I moved them over to the SD card.

They are:
ace_ddi.dll
atisdio.dll
atiusbh.dll
pcmcia.dll
shlwapi.dll
touch.dll
wavdev.dll
xsusbser.dll

I know for atisdio and atiusbh.dll are not supposed to be moved but for the rest?

The total space thats supposed to free up after moving the dll is about 4M and not 8.5M. The thing is I dont see it in the control panel...

Also just for a note the ones that remain would likely be in use at the time but as you say Ati ones are required anyway...

John
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-11-14 4:10 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I got the same problem of tech_girl. Assuming that ATI dlls have to stay there, how can I move the others? Maybe using a taskmanager to end those progrmas that use them?

Then, same thing cna be done with dlls of program in subfolders or just for those in Windows dir?

Thanks
 Top of the page
Alt Bass Page Icon Posted 2009-11-15 7:11 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

1) How to move currently used dlls.
Just copy them to another defined in registry folder, rename them in the source folder, reset the device, delete them.
As for pcmcia.dll, it can be removed absolutely, as it(s copy resides in rom, the same for atadisk.dll.
2) Another programs.
Here comes the problem. If developer used access to dlls using the exact path (no matter how he/she generates it), there's no way to move them (except writing dumy file system driver which will create fake files while actually storing them somewhere else), if not, they can be moved as usually. This is special about any program.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-11-19 4:55 AM
#
H/PC Elder

If you have no apps set in startup and something is in use (I would have thought it was in rom and not a ram file) just ignore tham. The Ati files need to stay where they are.

Further to this I now go and delete the uninstall files, install picsel browser to SD and remove files in ram, and delete any other ram files like help and text that are in windows dir. This gets me to over 60Mb of ram useable and as the MUI takes up 3Mb I guess I have everything out of ram that I can. Next relocate browser cache to SD (so this doesn't eat up ram when using browser).

Rom files like atadisk and pcmcia cant be removed but then they don't take up any ram so no point in worrying about them. Took me a long time installing each bit of software with win directory open so I can grab the files each app put in Windows directory and copy them to the dir on the SD I specified in reg.

Not had any programs complain about this at all so far and I have used a lot of programs on the Sig.

John

Edited by mr-mac 2009-11-19 4:58 AM
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-11-19 5:44 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I tried to relocate also Opera dlls but when I launch it says that can't find opactivex.dll in Windows directory.
How can I move it telling Opera to look on SD for it?
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-11-19 8:27 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Slycarter - 2009-11-19 10:44 AM

I tried to relocate also Opera dlls but when I launch it says that can't find opactivex.dll in Windows directory.
How can I move it telling Opera to look on SD for it?

Check in the opera ini file as there are a few things in there. If it's not in there then you will have to leave it in windows directory.
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-12-03 2:32 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

How can I relocate Opera chache? I can't find any path in Opera.ini or regkey in the registry.
 Top of the page
Nick_EL Page Icon Posted 2009-12-11 1:40 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Try to edit string in opera.ini
Opera Directory=\SD Card\Application Data\Operathis relocates not only cache but everything from folder Application Data in RAM to the SD card.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments opera.ini (2KB - 2 downloads)
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-12-23 4:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Nick_EL - 2009-12-11 1:40 PM

Try to edit string in opera.ini
Opera Directory=\SD Card\Application Data\Operathis relocates not only cache but everything from folder Application Data in RAM to the SD card.

Are you sure it can be done?
If I relocate the whole /Application Data/Opera folder Opera doesn't run anymore.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-12-23 11:23 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Probably a stupid question, but did you edit the .ini file too as Nick_EL advised (or replace it with the file in his link)?
 Top of the page
Slycarter Page Icon Posted 2009-12-24 1:52 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2009-12-23 11:23 PM

Probably a stupid question, but did you edit the .ini file too as Nick_EL advised (or replace it with the file in his link)?

Yep. reedited, but it is recreated in ram with cacheop folder too.
It seems that cacheop folder, opera.ini and some other files must be in ram or it doesn't start.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.205 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 12