x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any AT&T 8525 (HTC) users?

rlw Page Icon Posted 2007-10-20 1:49 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'm considering replacing my beloved, but aging, J720. My daughter works for an AT&T reseller and is tempting me with the AT&T (HTC) 8525. It runs Windows Mobile 5.0, and, despite the small screen, looks to be a suitable replacement for my J720. I mostly use the J720 to keep track of transactions and mileage (with pocket Excel). This device also has pocket office built in, and I assume even more third party apps than the J720.

I already have Sprint EVDO-A for an internet connection at $60/month (and locked in for the next 19 months), and I'm not interested in signing up for AT&T's slower EDGE internet at an additional $40/month. I *do* have AT&T for my cellphone service, and would just transfer that account to the 8525.

Most of the places I would need to have internet connectivity already have WiFi enabled. If I've got to go somewhere that doesn't, I can always drag along my Linksys router and Sprint Pantech EVDO card.

What I'd like to do is make sure that the only way I can access the 'net with this device is through WiFi, effectively disabling the overpriced ala-carte AT&T internet connection.

Does anyone know if there's a way to do that, down in the system settings, perhaps? I played with it for about 5 minutes, but didn't find anything obvious.

Over and above that, any other owners of this device out there? What are your thoughts on it? Are you happy with it? The keyboard's no J720 k/b, but it's an awful lot closer to it than the little buttons on a Blackberry.

Forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place, it may be that Windows Mobile 5.0 != Windows CE 5.0...

RLW
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-10-20 4:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

I own a X01HT, which is basically the same with 8525. (Hermes) It's a great device! You can upgrade to WM6.0
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-20 6:53 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

rlw - 2007-10-20 7:49 PM

Forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place, it may be that Windows Mobile 5.0 != Windows CE 5.0...

RLW

it is not the same.

anyway, just go to modems in connections and delete ATT's APN setup, that should do it
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-10-21 2:34 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

technically no, but it is similar.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-21 7:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

nah similar?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-10-22 7:51 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/8525/?_requestid=21644

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/en/product/xseries/htc/x01ht/

Doesn't it look similar to you? It's using the same body except the shell and buttons, and almost the same inside, except some differences. The outer shell on X01HT is modified by Softbank.

Edited by stingraze 2007-10-22 7:55 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-22 9:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i meant CE 5.0 vs WM5
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-10-23 2:35 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

lol okay I didn't see your quote true they are not the same thing.

Edited by stingraze 2007-10-23 2:36 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 30