x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

DS emulator for 900c!?

clcrx7
clcrx7 Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 12:16 AM
#
In regards to the title, can it be done or...has it been done already? It would be awesome to play Brothers in Arms on the 900c...already has a touch screen and the the processor is four times faster than the DS's two together, there is more memory to utilize, and both run ARMS type processors. It almost seems like it would be easy...They've managed to emulate the DS for pc (without the touchscreen capabilities of course). So what's the hold up or am I really slow!?
 Top of the page
rbsfou Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 12:27 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Probably emulating the custom 3d hardware, plus i think the framebuffer is too slow anyway (just try watching a film in TCPMP for an example). And DSTN screens suck for fast movement anyway!
 Top of the page
clcrx7
clcrx7 Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 2:07 AM
#
But the DS's 3D rendering is really modest even compared to the PSP. Plus wouldn't GAPI support the 3D rendering for graphics on the 900c?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 2:09 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Only to a limited extent. Try running the test files in the GAPI folder to see what I mean. It's far from perfect even at slow speed.
 Top of the page
clcrx7
clcrx7 Page Icon Posted 2007-10-26 2:20 AM
#
Hmmm....frame rate for Brothers in Arms never reaches 30 per second....What can GAPI handle?....I've never really seen it in action other than the test run.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2008-01-19 11:51 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The DS is equivalent in processing power to the N64, which can be emulated well on a PIV (Likely not a PIII) with something more substancial than onboard graphics.

In other words, I would think not.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-01-19 12:30 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

They cannot make the DS PC emulators run correctly on modern x86/EM64-T hardware, getting a dual touch screen modern, specially built games console running on a 9 year old H/PC is no where near as easy as you make out.

For a start it has nothing what so ever to do with how many clock cycles the H/PC has - as my 3GHz PC will attest to when it mangled the output of last DS emulator I looked at. The DS's processor and sub-system is designed specifically as a games processing power house, the H/PC and CPU's in a PC are desgined really as GP-PU or General Purpose Processing Units.

CPU's and memory architectures can be built to function, they are not all designed to be general purpose. A legendary exmaple is the DES processor. Parallel DES processors can crack DES encryption in minutes, when it takes a normal x86 processor of the age months if not years to do it. Another example that is less geeky is the reason why Mac's running PowerPC processors sub 1GHz (700MHz springs to mind) were able to keep up with x86 processors up to 2GHz.

"It 'aint what you do, it's the way that you do it. And that's what gets results".
 Top of the page
Bensawsome Page Icon Posted 2008-02-15 1:38 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

This is a noob to hardware speaking... But I looked up the specs of the DS and it runs a 66 mhz proccesor and the 900c is 400mhz...... Just saying.
 Top of the page
Acestes
Acestes Page Icon Posted 2008-02-15 4:33 PM
#
Mhz doesnt translate into speed precisely, Its like the tires on your bicycle and on your car just because theyre both 26" doesnt mean they can go the same speed its all the other hardware that needs to be considered.
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2008-02-15 5:27 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

Bensawsome - 2008-02-16 3:38 AM

This is a noob to hardware speaking... But I looked up the specs of the DS and it runs a 66 mhz proccesor and the 900c is 400mhz...... Just saying.

66Mhz? Is it those Dragonball processors that were used on Palm ?
 Top of the page
Bensawsome Page Icon Posted 2008-03-18 7:18 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

stingraze - 2008-02-15 5:27 PM

Bensawsome - 2008-02-16 3:38 AM

66Mhz? Is it those Dragonball processors that were used on Palm ?

Doubt it but you never know.
 Top of the page
HellDragon Page Icon Posted 2008-04-17 5:11 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

the 900c would need a totally new cpu, more ram, and 3d acceleration.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11