x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Is my Jornada 720 irrepairably damaged?

[Frozen]
Frozen
dock32
dock32 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-23 12:59 PM
#
Before going on a trip I was charging up several portable electronic devices. By mistake I connected the power lead for my laptop ( a JVC mininote) to the jornada 720 for a few seconds only before realising my mistake and disconnecting. When I came back to the Jornada , (which had not consequently been attached to its own or any other power source ) a few minutes later it was emitting a little smoke! It has not worked at all since. No power, no lights, nothing.
I realise that it may be completely gone, but am surprised that connecting to the wrong power source for such a short period of a few seconds can cause so much damage. It was such a good piece of kit that if it can be repaired I would certainly consider it.I now have a Dell axim, but its just not the same.
Any advice gratefully received.
 Top of the page
Jornada 660lx Page Icon Posted 2005-04-23 1:15 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

take it apart and see what is fried.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-23 1:51 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I had a similar problem time ago, and the only thing that got damaged was the motherboard. you can get a spare one on ebay and replacing it is not hard

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-04-23 3:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

dock32 - 2005-04-23 12:59 PM

I connected the power lead for my laptop ( a JVC mininote) to the jornada 720 for a few seconds... such a short period of a few seconds... so much damage. If it can be repaired I would certainly consider it. Any advice...

If you email the staff at [usedhandhelds.com], they will be happy to advise you. They buy, sell & repair jornadas, especially the 720.

--Bruised

Edited by bruisedquasar 2005-04-23 3:54 PM
 Top of the page
wallythacker in lazy
wallythacker in lazy Page Icon Posted 2005-04-26 5:10 PM
#
And here is more proof that luggage tags attached to the business end of every AC adapter in your inventory are mandatory.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-26 10:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

dock32 - 2005-04-23 10:59 AM

Before going on a trip I was charging up several portable electronic devices. By mistake I connected the power lead for my laptop ( a JVC mininote) to the jornada 720 for a few seconds only before realising my mistake and disconnecting. When I came back to the Jornada , (which had not consequently been attached to its own or any other power source ) a few minutes later it was emitting a little smoke! It has not worked at all since. No power, no lights, nothing.
I realise that it may be completely gone, but am surprised that connecting to the wrong power source for such a short period of a few seconds can cause so much damage. It was such a good piece of kit that if it can be repaired I would certainly consider it.I now have a Dell axim, but its just not the same.
Any advice gratefully received.

oh oh ... the white smoke of death! But chances are its a capacitor that got fried ... or a voltage or current limiting diode. Just hope that its a bigger sized component and not one of those surface mounted ones! *gulp*
 Top of the page
bgrayesq
bgrayesq Page Icon Posted 2005-04-29 11:58 PM
#
Because I recently discovered that the Jornada 720 that I bought on ebay as "perfect" actually had a non-working pcmcia slot, I contacted usedhandhelds.com (Thaddeus Computing). They are not buying any "broken" 720's, and their minimum fee for doing any repair on a 720 is $200. Any chance that I could repair or replace the pcmcia slot on my 720? Without it, no wifi - and I already bought two wifi cards for it.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-30 12:20 AM
#
H/PC Elite

As i said before, the only way would be to get a spare motherboard in ebay and replace it. if you need help on how to do it, i may be able to give you some pics of the procedure

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
nauman_416 Page Icon Posted 2005-10-28 7:22 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

matrixcore - 2005-04-30 12:20 AM

As i said before, the only way would be to get a spare motherboard in ebay and replace it. if you need help on how to do it, i may be able to give you some pics of the procedure

Hope this helps

hi dear,
i want to replace main board for my J720, can u send me pics > how to do it on my email address
nauman_416@hotmail.com
thanks
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-10-28 7:49 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Thread Closed
Please do not trawl old threads.
 Top of the page
Frozen
Jump to forum: