x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New to programming but having a go :)

90right
90right Page Icon Posted 2005-04-24 12:25 PM
#
Hello all, i've just picked up a Jornada 680 off that bidding website, got the cradle etc for a grand total of £51!

Anyway i'm so chuffed with this site, i have setup my wireless netgear card in it, and have been browsing the site from the bottom of the garden behind a hedge, just because i can!

So i want to try and give something back, something for the newbies out there a bit scared to dig in and create something new!

I've just downloaded the Microsoft Embedded C++ off the site, and have installed it. Now i'm new to all this i have dabbled years ago in C++, Pascal, Basic, and Spectrum hardcore programming.

If your like me and want to have a go, then heres how i got my first application onto my 680.

Install the embedded C++ software and load it up on your big windows box.

Create a new project WCE application and check the box under CPU's for your 680, which is Win32(WCE SH3).

Give it a project name and press next.

Then select a simple CE application, and press finish.

Right now it gets smart

I didn't want to code anything just yet, but i did want to see if i could compile it onto my cradled 680. So next i did this:

Pressed F7 and away it went!

Where did it go? Under My Handheld PC on the 680. How cool is that!

Doesn't do anything though, but my journey has just begun.

So there it is my carcass application on my 680. It doesn't get easier than that.

Hope it helps someone get started.

Cheerio for now

Rich

Edited by 90right 2005-04-24 12:27 PM
 Top of the page
Mart Page Icon Posted 2005-04-24 4:02 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Rich, just out of curiosity ... what's the full model of your netgear wireless card, because I have a 680e and I'd like to buy a card which someone else has/is already using and can confirm that it works.

Tired of buying incompatible hardware

/\/\art
 Top of the page
90right
90right Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 3:21 AM
#
It's the MA401 card the wireless b one, as pictured below (i hope). I simply downloaded the prism driver and installed it, then i inserted my card and typed prsmnds.dll (i think), pressed the soft reboot button, and then configured it to my network (also netgear).

I didn't use dhcp but put in the following ip address for my network 192.168.0.4, netmask 255.255.255.0 and then pressed ok.

Soft reboot and the green light flashed, then stayed on, then i google!

I would like to know how i name the device, as it says unknown on my router.

Hope that helps,

Rich

(DSCN2274.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN2274.jpg (53KB - 12 downloads)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 8:02 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

it's prismnds (no need for typing in "dll"
 Top of the page
Mart Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 3:36 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks for that Rich .. I'm now in search of the same card knowing it works .. very helpful

/\/\art
 Top of the page
90right
90right Page Icon Posted 2005-04-26 8:07 AM
#
Mart,

They are hard to find, i bought mine when it was all brand new, all this wireless G stuff has superceeded it, yet they keep G backwards compatible with B, saddo's.

Here's a few links:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/justdeals/ma401.html
- Slightly different design

Good luck though.

As of tonight i'm going to try and compile jlime (www.jlime.com) linux on my compact flash card and try to run it on my Jornada, as well as pick up where i left off with my amazing programming skills.

Cheerio

Rich
 Top of the page
Mart Page Icon Posted 2005-04-26 8:19 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks very much for the info

I'll have a look around, I'm sure I'll find one, even if I have to goto a computer fair or something.
 Top of the page
90right
90right Page Icon Posted 2005-04-27 2:58 AM
#
Latest update: I tried www.jlime.com last night, got it working, and now have a fully working linux Jornada 680 with wireless connection (yep my card works on linux).

So i have the best of both worlds, the slightly free convenient wince, and the highly free well packaged linux version jlime.

I can now monitor my network from my shed ping the world!!!

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-27 11:36 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

90right, please tell us about how well it's working. i'm most interested in power management. how well does jlime handle it?? thanks
 Top of the page
90right
90right Page Icon Posted 2005-04-28 7:49 AM
#
cmonex - 2005-04-27 11:36 AM

90right, please tell us about how well it's working. i'm most interested in power management. how well does jlime handle it?? thanks

cmonex,

It's fairly easy to install when you know how, i've put it on a 128mb card to start with, then i bought a 512mb card, i partitioned my disk using my linux box (fdisk), created 3 partitions, 1 dos fat 16 partition (type 06), 1 linux primary partition (type 83), 1 linux swap partition (type 82).

mounted the dos partition to a directory.
mounted the primary to a directory.

went to jlime and downloaded the shlo-hp680.exe, went into the shrek releases and downloaded jlime-shrek-RC5.tar.gz , and zImage-RC5.

Then i put the exe and the zImage into the dos partition, and gunzip tar xvf jlime-shrek-RC5.tar.gz into my primary partition.

Created a shlo.txt file in my dos partition (vi shlo.txt)

Added the following into the text file as so.........

-------------------------------------------
platform = hp680
boot page = 0x0c000000

load file = 0x0c210000 zImage-RC5
start address = 0x8c210000

set long = 0x8c001000 0 # MOUNT_ROOT_RDONLY
set long = 0x8c001004 0 # RAMDISK_FLAGS
set long = 0x8c001008 0x0100 # ORIG_ROOT_DEV
set long = 0x8c00100c 1 # LOADER_TYPE
set long = 0x8c001010 0x00400000 # INITRD_START
set long = 0x8c001014 0x00400000 # INITRD_SIZE
set string = 0x8c001100 mem=16M ramdisk_size=8192 root=/dev/hda2 devfs=nomount
---------------------------------------------

Saved the text file.

eject the mounted drives (so linux doesn't hang).

Removed my compact flash card from the reader, switched off the 680, slotted it in, and turned it on.

Went to the compact flash directory and double tapped the shlo.exe.

Waited for around 20 seconds before the magic of the penguin takes over.

login, insert my wireless card type cardmgr, card light flashes, stays on, ping www.google.co.uk and got a response.

ipkg update to retrieve all the package information.
ipkg install whatever you want

The battery lasts for around 6 hours fully on, the jlime guys haven't concentrated on power management but have a very stable kernel! If you cradle the beast it'll last forever

I'm sure they will work out how to switch it on and off soon.

The best thing is it opens up new browsers to us, and running opie http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/ you get a stylish front end.

One thing i must tell you about is that it resets your wince completely. So my recommendation is to get a new compact flash card and store all your wince information on there.

But i'm well chuffed, if you want more info then let me know i'm still learning the ropes, i'll try to install opie tonight and report back on my successes.

If you want to try it i recommend the RC5 release, it works like a dream.

chmod, ls, pwd, etc etc, it's another world

Rich

P.S Actually thinking about it with opie installed who needs wince?! It's got everything wince has plus a lot more. So it makes more sense to run wince as a failsafe system and run jlime on it all the time

Edited by 90right 2005-04-28 7:59 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 10