x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help with remote desktop

dmxsoulja3
dmxsoulja3 Page Icon Posted 2007-11-23 1:29 AM
#
Hey guys, I could have this right and just not know it since I'm not near a pc that isnt connected to my local network.

if I type in the computer name in this case.. desktop1. it works, obviously both the 900c and the desktop are on the same router.

here is the next part...when I'm not at home, what do I type into the connection window, i'm guessing currentipesktop1 ? I have a dynDNS address so I'm guessing I can use my username.getmyip.comesktop1

or is that not the syntax its looking for?

Thanks in advance, J
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2007-11-23 1:57 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

All you would need to do is make sure port 3389 (RDP) is forwarded properly in your router to the correct desktop machine. Then simply type in your WAN (internet) IP or dyndns hostname for the connection address in the RDP client (e.g. dmxsoulja.dyndns.org). You only use the computer name if you are on the local network, because it resolves to a LAN IP and not a WAN IP.

Edited by mscdex 2007-11-23 2:01 AM
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-11-23 8:54 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Yep... I set mine up like this... I have my desktop sitting on a static IP so just forward the port to the desktop machine in the router settings.

It helps if your ISP gives you a static IP... If, like I know BT used to do, give your ADSL a dynamic IP it may be more difficult as the IP needed to contact to will not be the same all the time.

John
 Top of the page
dmxsoulja3
dmxsoulja3 Page Icon Posted 2007-11-23 9:38 AM
#
Thanks guys, I don't have that port forwarded, so I will take care of that when I get home. it sucks because I installed TightVNC and forwarded 5800 and 5900 and on 5800 I get the TightVNC java applet on the web, it then says connecting to my machine on 5900 and then I get a "network error" I remember this being much easier back in the day when I tried this. I don't have a firewall so I'm not sure what is hanging me up but back to the drawing board.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-11-23 11:04 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

just use no-ip.com for the dyndns
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9