x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

custom rom making for CE - now the fun really begins!

1 2 3 4 5
direwolf
direwolf Page Icon Posted 2007-12-17 7:24 PM
#
Hi cmonex

I found this forum after reading elsewhere about your experience in ROMs for WinCE.

I'm interested in learning about this as I have a PNA device that has WinCE 5.0 on it. I had a read through your documents but I couldn't understand how I can get an image of the ROM off my device as there as no ROM available for download.

I can get into WinCE on my device and run programs from explorer if that helps?

Can you point me in the right direction?
 Top of the page
michelbel Page Icon Posted 2007-12-18 7:42 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Philosopher

Huizen, Netherlands (~20 miles from Amsterdam)
cmonex - 2007-12-15 10:11 PM

kitchen for nec 900c being uploaded
now no excuse for not making your own rom!!!

And since much of my time this Christmas I will be in the
kitchen (as usual) anyway
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-18 3:55 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

direwolf - 2007-12-18 1:24 AM

Hi cmonex

I found this forum after reading elsewhere about your experience in ROMs for WinCE.

I'm interested in learning about this as I have a PNA device that has WinCE 5.0 on it. I had a read through your documents but I couldn't understand how I can get an image of the ROM off my device as there as no ROM available for download.

I can get into WinCE on my device and run programs from explorer if that helps?

Can you point me in the right direction?

hey, well, the document doesn't deal with that part if you read the requirements at the beginning of it.. i want to write some other doc on some known ways of hacking to get the ROMs.

in a nutshell what you can try is bkondisk / bksamsung, see my site for rom dumper downloads.

then if that works (50% chance) i can help extract the image etc. if your device has standard uboot on it then it'll be easy to flash it. are you able to enter bootloader menu?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-18 3:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

michelbel - 2007-12-18 1:42 PM

cmonex - 2007-12-15 10:11 PM

kitchen for nec 900c being uploaded
now no excuse for not making your own rom!!!

And since much of my time this Christmas I will be in the
kitchen (as usual) anyway

i'm sure you'll find it is quite easy to change files with this. (modules are the harder part but nothing too bad)
 Top of the page
Neochris Page Icon Posted 2007-12-23 1:14 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Does this tool only work for M900c, or any CE.NET devices?
Could I use it for My Nexio S155 or Sig3?
 Top of the page
nickel3 Page Icon Posted 2007-12-23 4:09 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi Neochris,

Sig III does not have flashable ROM.

regards

nickel3
 Top of the page
Neochris Page Icon Posted 2007-12-23 9:07 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

nickel3 - 2007-12-23 5:09 PM

Hi Neochris,

Sig III does not have flashable ROM.

regards

nickel3

Thanks!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-12-24 3:38 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Neochris - 2007-12-23 7:14 AM

Does this tool only work for M900c, or any CE.NET devices?
Could I use it for My Nexio S155 or Sig3?

if you read at least the beginning of the rom tutorial, you'll have the answer...

the flashable image format and the method of flashing will be device specific. the base rom in this kitchen is 900c specific (drivers, kernel etc).
the rest of the tools are universal.

could work for nexio, but it doesn't comply with the requirements listed at the start of the rom tutorial. you need to find a way into its bootloader menu and a way to flash it along with documenting flashable image format and a way to get a base rom image i.e. dump its rom or get an official rom update - (i have one for nexio S160 but i didn't really feel like trying it out as i have no information if it works at all. also it doesn't fulfill the requirement that the OS must be flashable without a booting OS .. the update kit uses winCE to do its job.)

so these are the things you need to find out about the S155.
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-04 12:29 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Cmonex, I tried to follow your tutorial very carefully in order to make my own ROM. Even wih the 900c ROM Kitchen, it is still very experimental stuff. The tricky part is the registry: as long as there is no "risk free method" to compile default.fdf, I will not go further, unfortunately...

Edited by Geared2003 2008-01-04 12:30 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-04 2:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

how do you mean "risk free method"? i have no problems with default.fdf here. can you tell me what problems you encountered?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-11 7:07 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Geared2003: any answer? probably there is a misunderstanding
 Top of the page
Geared2003 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 6:53 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Sorry for the late reply. There are 2 things that I find risky and unclear. These are the corresponding explanations from your tutorial:

-first thing (I am not sure that I correctly understood): "There are some bugs to watch out for. First I actually had to made a modified template of the original registry because the reg2fdf.pl has a bug to do with incorrectly interpreting hex numbers (maybe it will be fixed). So entries like “\xls.exe” will be corrupted. I changed them to “\yls.exe” and then change them back in the resulting fdf by searching for them in the new fdf with a hexeditor. Note, if you want to search for a string in an fdf then select unicode text for the search. Another bug I found was to do with the rarer multistring entries, if they contain \ chars then they will not be processed at all. Well, have a guess at how to work around this (similar solution to above)."

-second thing: the 0x820 vs. 0x807 attribute: how do you do that with Xipport? I didn't find a clear explanation in your tutorial.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 5:51 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Geared2003 - 2008-01-13 12:53 PM

Sorry for the late reply. There are 2 things that I find risky and unclear. These are the corresponding explanations from your tutorial:

-first thing (I am not sure that I correctly understood): "There are some bugs to watch out for. First I actually had to made a modified template of the original registry because the reg2fdf.pl has a bug to do with incorrectly interpreting hex numbers (maybe it will be fixed). So entries like “\xls.exe” will be corrupted. I changed them to “\yls.exe” and then change them back in the resulting fdf by searching for them in the new fdf with a hexeditor. Note, if you want to search for a string in an fdf then select unicode text for the search. Another bug I found was to do with the rarer multistring entries, if they contain \ chars then they will not be processed at all. Well, have a guess at how to work around this (similar solution to above)."

-second thing: the 0x820 vs. 0x807 attribute: how do you do that with Xipport? I didn't find a clear explanation in your tutorial.

hey. maybe the desc makes it sound worse than what it really is... the xls.exe bug has been fixed, the new script is in the kitchen too. other than that, only .net cf 2.0 inserting can be a problem, if you want a rom with this, i'll describe the solution.. or get it fixed too
otherwise it seems pretty robust.

as for the file attribute value, let me quote the relevant parts.

IMPORTANT TIPS:
2. To insert a new registry file, refer to the registry section in this document below, for warning and solution of a problem! Details in the registry section later, but basically just edit default.fdf.imageinfo.txt, for file attribute, edit that value to 0x807, if it got changed to 0x820 with dumpromx when compressing.

...as for details i meant the explanation of the problem. other than that, you just open the imageinfo txt for default.fdf in FILES folder and look for the line that says fileattribute or similar, and change the value there to 807 if it said 820. that's all.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-01-14 6:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

As if this thread isn't large enough already. I've been trying to work on a way to integrate CMonex's tools into a single easy to use package.

Made a little progress...nothing spectacular. Anyway, if you are interested, you can download it here: http://hpcnec.com/romstuff/simpleromtool.zip

(simpleromtool.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments simpleromtool.jpg (87KB - 3 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-01-14 7:30 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Pretty nice work, Rich.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 13