x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720: What to buy to get the very maximum size of memory (pc card / compact flash) ?

1 2 3
patrick295767 Page Icon Posted 2007-11-26 1:34 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi,

I followed this website: http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/j7xx.html?/j7xx/accessories/storage.html
received this reply : http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=10990&posts=2&start=1

bought a Hitachi microdrive 4gb, and just received it ...
result:

It cannot enter the cockpit of the Jornada 720.
What solutions might it give now with this 4gb? can it enter anyhow ?

Edited by patrick295767 2007-11-26 1:34 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-11-26 1:44 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The CF card slot under the 720 can only accommodate Type I CF cards, and MicroDrives are Type II (thicker). You can modify the CF card door on the 720, but then you won't be able to close it (though it will work). Simpler solution: use a Type II CF-to-PCMCIA adapter in the PCMCIA slot. From the first page you linked, go to "Card adapter," and the second picture from the top is what you need.
 Top of the page
patrick295767 Page Icon Posted 2007-11-26 1:50 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

CE Geek - 2007-11-26 1:44 PM

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The CF card slot under the 720 can only accommodate Type I CF cards, and MicroDrives are Type II (thicker). You can modify the CF card door on the 720, but then you won't be able to close it (though it will work). Simpler solution: use a Type II CF-to-PCMCIA adapter in the PCMCIA slot. From the first page you linked, go to "Card adapter," and the second picture from the top is what you need.

Well, the jornada 720 is already stuffed with a wireless Cisco pcmcia card. I am sorry that I didn't realize that it was a type II.
On that website http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/accessories/storage.html, that looked so professional.

thanks
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-11-26 1:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Do you need both in the device at the same time? You'll sure be drawing a lot of power.
 Top of the page
patrick295767 Page Icon Posted 2007-11-26 2:20 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

it is what I presumed when looking /googling hitachi 4GB...
The thing is that the cisco 4800 aironet is rather nice since the antenna can be removed so that the pcmcia wlan remains inside. I tried to avoid removing pcmcia cards, components in general.

I can soft reset the jornada 720, and say NO for no use of pcmcia wireless, then get full power to the compact flash (I would say)
 Top of the page
patrick295767 Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 1:17 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I found a compact flash type I of 16GB for good price.

Will it work in the jornada 720 ?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 1:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Should work without any problem. Just make sure it is formatted to FAT32. You're probably better off using a regular CF card rather than a MicroDrive anyway - it's more durable and draws less power.
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 8:25 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Yes, a 16 gig CF card will work in the Jornada. I think even a 32 gig will, once they reach the market. Not certain of that though.

Newegg sells a very cheap but slow 16 gig, and a very slightly less cheap but much faster 16 gig CF card. Since almost all the CF/SD cards on ebay are shoddy knockoffs made in china, it's actually safer to buy a cheap no name brand memory card than it is to buy a name brand card. At least the no name brand one was built by honest people, instead of ones trying to rip you off.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 8:33 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yes, 32 GB will work without a hitch:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0012.asp

Re: purchasing CF cards on eBay
See this page:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/news/?iid=562
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2007-11-29 7:14 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

The link about purchasing CF cards is very useful.

On eBay, in my experience, sadly, there are so many fraudent users.
 Top of the page
patrick295767 Page Icon Posted 2007-11-29 4:41 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

stingraze - 2007-11-29 7:14 AM

The link about purchasing CF cards is very useful.

On eBay, in my experience, sadly, there are so many fraudent users.

I bought a hitachi 4gb fast CF-II that works well but it rather thickness and to close no possible.
if you wanna it for a good price, plz let me know. I d need a CF-I.
 Top of the page
baltobernie
baltobernie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-30 3:59 PM
#
Wow! 16Gb in a CF card! Now that the capacity is adequate, is it possible to "rip" a DVD to a CF card, and play the movie on my J728?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-11-30 4:45 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

baltobernie, Yes it is!

We recommend DVD Catalyst for this purrpose, because it is the only DVD Ripping application which has built-in support for the Handheld PC - they developed a Screen Rating system in association with us to do that. You can get a DVD down to a couple of hundred MB (optimised for the device).
DVD Catlayst is not expensive, has no spyware in it and is fast at doing what it does.

I appreciate that my statement sounds like a sales pitch, but I have used the program since before version 1 (formerly Pocket DVD - review in the reviews section), and still use it to this day in its latest and greatest.
 Top of the page
baltobernie
baltobernie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-01 2:50 PM
#
OK, I downloaded an installed DVD Catalyst GT, and converted a short DVD. Everything seems to have gone OK. I then downloaded "tcmp.arm720_ce3" from "tcpmp.other.cabs.0.72RC1.zip" on the Support page (the link in the setup screen is broken, BTW). Both of these files are on a CF card. (I can't use ActiveSync because my desktop is Vista)

I suppose I must place this .cab file somewhere in the Windows directory on the Jornada? Can you tell me where? I didn't expect to be able to play the movie without this cab file installed, but I also need a player? The Windows Media Player on the J728 looks like it plays audio only. Can you recommend the best (easiest) player for use with movies created with DVD GT?

Bernie (the moniker "Newbie" is accurate)
 Top of the page
baltobernie
baltobernie Page Icon Posted 2007-12-01 3:15 PM
#
I got it; the cab file IS the application. I needed the ARM CE2 version for the 728. It works! Video is a little smeared, but I think there are options in the conversion process that will eliminate this - file size, most likely. If I can get this to acceptable limits, you've got another customer ....
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.199 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12