x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

STORAGE VERSA PERFORMANCE HP JORNADA 820

gulfwindx Page Icon Posted 2005-04-28 10:26 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Another newbie question(if anyone noticed I'm getting ready to Graduate up a notch) I just orded a 1 GB Cf card (at 40 bucks why not) what's the best way to get the best performance out of the HP 820. Can I copy and paste all the programs off the HP internal memory to yhe Cf card and run them from there?? Is at simple as that. I know. I can cut and paste files is that the proper way.How much better if at all, would the pictures and web pages look comming from the CF card also would the video look less grainy. i think what I'm driving at can you run internet explorer from the CF card. After my battle with windows ME I'm running out of my own RAM

For any one who has installed an the second internal 16 MB of RAM do you think it was worth the cost and what program did you see benifit the most??

Thanks in advance

Edited by gulfwindx 2005-04-28 10:37 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-28 2:06 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

not all of the programs will work if you just copypaste them to the CF: you should reinstall those what won't. maybe a hard reset is the easiest solution.
IE won't run from CF but don't worry, it runs from ROM, it isn't installed into ram.
benefits of the extra ram: you can run more programs at the same time, and if a program needs so much memory that 16 MB isn't enough, it will be ok then, that's a benefit also. and you don't have to worry about the amount of free ram. nothing else really but it's so much more comfortable, you'll see.

oh, one more thing: there are some programs that need to be installed in RAM (they won't run from CF). so that's an advantage too.

Edited by cmonex 2005-04-28 2:08 PM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-28 3:26 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

This is the last time I'm going to ask.

Please stop naming your threads in Caps, in forum etiquete it is deemed as inappropreate.
 Top of the page
Cindy
Cindy Page Icon Posted 2005-04-28 4:08 PM
#
Hi there Gulfwindx! Congrats on the purchase of your CF card - $40 is pretty cheap, where did you get it, if I may ask?

Yeah, as pointed out by CMONEX, cut & paste might work with some simple programs but not with others. Any programs installed that caused a change to the registry won't work once you move them over to the CF card because the system will not be aware of the new location and will still be looking for those files in your Windows directory. But I don't think you need to hard reset your HPC - all you have to do is UNINSTALL, and Re-install to the CF card. Note that not all applications can be installed to CF card. Most can, but some can't. In any case, there is really no harm done in trying. If it doesn't work, all you have to do is reinstall to main memory, and you're off to the races. Hope this helps!

Cindy

Not bad for a dumb blonde hey guys!
 Top of the page
gulfwindx Page Icon Posted 2005-04-28 4:15 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

ok 1 more thing to add to my pda reminder, getting old sucks!! can i capitalize in the main part of the inquiry i have never been in a forum with some one standing over my shoulder, again i'm so sorry to offend you........................ seems i have to use your spell checker please point to dowload
 Top of the page
gulfwindx Page Icon Posted 2005-04-28 4:19 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

hi cindy go to fatwallet.com and then fourms then hotdeals then search > cf
 Top of the page
Cindy
Cindy Page Icon Posted 2005-04-28 4:21 PM
#
gulfwindx - 2005-04-28 4:19 PM

hi cindy go to fatwallet.com and then fourms then hotdeals then search > cf

But I don't have a fat wallet ... now what do I do? Just kidding! Have a nice day!

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Thank Yooou.wav (4KB - 13 downloads)
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-28 6:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome to an IT tech forum, the home territory of Netiquette.

From a Netiquette guide:
Using all caps, for those who don’t know, is regarding as yelling on the Internet and does not convey an image of respect or patience. Although it may seem that posts with all caps might receive more attention this is in fact not true, as many forum users will simply overlook the post entirely
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.160 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 10