x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Installing windows 95 on the jornada 720 ?

1 2
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-13 4:59 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
NarakuITA Page Icon Posted 2022-12-14 11:11 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Interesting! And how does the operating system behave?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2022-12-15 7:55 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Painfully.
 Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2023-09-28 4:27 PM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

OK so its not Windows 95 on a HPC but it is an easy method for Windows 95 on a PPC. Of course HPCfactor gets a mention too ??

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2023-09-28 4:49 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I commented on your video the day you put it up, but the comment isn't showing. Are you moderating comments?
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-09-28 8:35 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Relatedly I have windows 3.0 running on my sigmarion (in PocketDOS) and it works great
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-09-28 10:21 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
@thenzero Is that proof-of-concept or are you running Word/Excel?

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-09-29 12:57 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Jake - 2023-09-29 5:21 PM

@thenzero Is that proof-of-concept or are you running Word/Excel?

Jake

I guess I'd say somewhere in between. I am only running in real mode (hence windows 3.0) so the newest Word version I can run is 1.1. That said, it runs great. Paint and stuff like that work perfectly as well.

I have a feeling I might be able to run some more advanced stuff using Neko Project II but I haven't tried anything except games on there yet. It's on the todo list! :-)

Microsoft Word 1.1 on Windows 3.0 on the Sigmarion 3
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-09-29 3:15 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Note: Ignore the dumb way the mouse cursor is moving in my other video. You can easily make it move like you'd expect by installing the PocketDOS Windows 3.x mouse driver.

Demonstration:

Better mouse driver in Windows 3.0

Top of the page
fantablium Page Icon Posted 2023-09-29 8:29 AM
#
Subscribers
Factorite (Elite)

@C:Amie I'm not moderating at all, its set to allow all comments. Weird that your comment would disappear!

@thenzero that is a nice demo and running much faster! It seems that you can run win3.0 in the built in XTM on the Psion, I'm going to give that a go
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-09-29 1:10 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

fantablium - 2023-09-30 3:29 AM

@thenzero that is a nice demo and running much faster! It seems that you can run win3.0 in the built in XTM on the Psion, I'm going to give that a go

Wow, neat I didn't know about that. I'll have to try that out on my 5mx. Thanks!
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-09-29 2:26 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

@thenzero https://www-petrpilny-cz.translate.goog/oldsite/?palmtop-hp-200lx,150&_x_tr_sch=http&_x_tr_sl=cs&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc At the bottom is a full-blown Win3.0 install with Word/Excel and a set Program Manager. Works OOTB for the HP 200LX; I imagine that would be the same for other devices running DOS.

Jake
 Top of the page
thenzero Page Icon Posted 2023-09-29 5:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Elite

Neat site, thanks for the link. Looks like they're running the same versions of Winword/Excel that I am, guessing that means HP 200LX only runs in real mode also? I don't know much about it but it sounds like a really cool device.

Btw, looking at that zip I guess what I've got going is also "full blown" in the sense you mean. The part that makes me hesitate is that I have to load the bochs emulator to get past the 286 limitation and it's pretty slow, so I can (mostly) only run real mode things. That said, the emulator is fast enough to play some games like Dr. Quandary, QFG3, etc, but not really fast enough to run Windows 3.1.

p.s. there are Windows 3.1 & Windows 95 HDD images for NPII floating around which is why that's still on my todo list

Edited by thenzero 2023-09-29 5:23 PM
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2023-09-29 9:51 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes, 200LX can only run Win3.0 in real mode. It takes prolly a minute to get into Win3/Word, and it takes some dexterity to use without a mouse, but doable:

https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20574&posts=12&start=1

Right now, I'm using NewDeal Office 3.2a on my 200LX--this takes even longer to load, but it's a superior WYSIWYG word processor compared to Word 1.1a. Again, you have to key-stroke to get along, but it has smart quotes, em dashes, and other syntax I need.

It's abandonware now, and I have full-install in a directory. It's about 13mbs, I think, too large to email, but if you've got a place to upload, I'm happy to send it to you.

Or to anyone else, for that matter.

Or if you want to play with your own install, it's on WinWorld:

https://winworldpc.com/product/new-deal-office/32a

Do get the 3.2a--4.0 and later Breadbasket, I believe, had to get rid of their Word 97 converter.

Jake
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 8