x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Where can I find software for Airspeak Flair

1 2 3 4
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-28 3:36 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

paulm64 - 2008-01-28 12:56 AM

Is there anyway that I can use an emulator on my Desktop with the ROM image from my Flair so that I could test ROM modifications out before commiting them to the Flair? I would like to play around with rom modifications but I want to keep the ROM reading/writing to a minimum. I've already bricked a couple pocketpcs so I'm a little leary of doing alot of flashing.

oh, how did you brick the ppc's? maybe they are unbrickable (i've done that quite a few times, i mean unbricking them)

and no there is no emulator but if we find bootloader mode there will be no real risks with flashing... trust me, i've done this a lot of times on the 900c or simpads for example

ah and i see your new post now.. yeah simpads and smartbooks have a similar software, simpads for example were able to download the image from internet before the link went dead.

Edited by cmonex 2008-01-28 3:37 AM
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-28 3:53 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I bricked an ipaq 3650 during a rom upgrade. I tried everything I could find on every PPC site I could find. It just wouldn't come back to life. I also bricked a ipaq 4705 (Ouch! that was painful!). It also refused to be reflashed. It always failed with a write error at the exact same memory location. Oddly enough, I sold them both on ebay as 'non-working bricked - for parts' and I was shocked to find that they fetched a decent price, especially the 4705 even though they didn't work! Right now I have the Toshiba e750 w/2gb sd card, and the 5200mah battery. Which is my main unit. I'm scared to death to try anything on it. And ZI have the Airspeak Flair which is big but makes a great internet radio! I'm a little more willing to experiment with it since I got it at a garage sale for practically nothing. I would also like to get it working with a better rom since it has a 1024X768 screen, stereo speakers, a USB port, two pcmcia ports, (one with a Cisco 340 wifi card, the other has a 512mb cf card in a pcmcia adapter) a PS2 port, audio in/out, vga out port. I thinks this unit has ALOT of potential. I plan to get a usb keyboard, a ps2 mouse and use it as a windows ce desktop machine if I can get the unit loaded with office, a pim, a mp3 player, and a media player. Preferably in ROM.

Edited by paulm64 2008-01-28 3:55 AM
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-28 3:57 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I have the Windows CE SDK 3.0. It has an emulator in it. Would there be way to start the amulator using the flair rom instead of whatever it is using now?

BTW, I also downloaded the Flair SDK for Basic/C but when I try to install it it starts to install, then says that the cab file is corrupt and then rolls back the changes it made and exits the install. I unzipped the files and they look fine to me but then what do I know. ???

Edited by paulm64 2008-01-28 3:59 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-28 4:51 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

paulm64 - was your flair 1.x or 2.x release before updating? i was reading that flair update page

as for the 3650... i guess you don't have the device anymore but in case you do, does it at least power up to some splash screen?

the 4705, i remember seeing a solution for that, unless it was a hardware problem.

i guess you got really bad luck before

ah, 1024x768, had no idea it had such a great screen. would you post any pics of the thing

the SDK will be no good for testing the rom, sorry.
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-28 4:55 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

It was 2.x.

I don't have a pic myself. I could take one but my camera is pretty crappy. But a very nice pic and a review of it can be found at...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,15993,00.asp
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-28 5:53 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

cmonex - 2008-01-28 4:51 AM

as for the 3650... i guess you don't have the device anymore but in case you do, does it at least power up to some splash screen?

the 4705, i remember seeing a solution for that, unless it was a hardware problem.

I don't have either one anymore.

I don't remember if the 3650 booted to the slash screen or not. The 4705 did, but always got an error when flashing. I miss the nice loud speaker of the 3650. It had the loudest speaker I've ever heard on a pocketpc. And I miss the beautiful screen of the 4705. The colors were so vivid they looked like they were wet. It was a nice machine. My e750 works but it's just not the same. I've loaded it some programs, i.e., Today Panel Pro, etc. in a feeble attempt at duplication the built in functions of the 4705. But it still not the same. Now I"ve made myself sad.
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-02-11 4:42 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Cmonex,
Any luck with the ROM Dump of the Flair?

Top of the page
Hoosier Page Icon Posted 2008-03-27 9:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

paulm64 - 2008-02-11 5:42 AM

Cmonex,
Any luck with the ROM Dump of the Flair?

Sorry for jumping in on this convo, But I too am looking to get rid of the Flair OS. too many limitations.

I wanted to use a blank/plain wrapper WinCE like my Smartphone, I have all the apps, but the phone is too small to enter excel stuff on. And the tablet is smaller lighter than my laptop. Hope you get it done.

Besides not know much about WinCE, I usually get things on the machine one way or another.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-03-28 1:10 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

no, haven't looked at it since paulm took the risk to flash in that crappy program (if it gets interrupted you're left with unbootable OS without knowing how to flash from bootloader)

and so i didn't see the new posts, sorry

email me with your msn address (or irc, icq, yahoo).
 Top of the page
Exador41 Page Icon Posted 2010-08-24 5:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

New to the Forum.
I bought 2 Airspeak Flairs on ebay, One because it said it had CE 6 (It really had CE 4.1) and the other CE 3, but with all original documentation and disks. I just bought 2 Cisco 340 wireless pcmcia cards with the hopes of using them as internet appliances, but did not get the drivers for CE and or the Airspeak Flair.

I have been in touch with Airspeak and they will load the drivers and update the operating system to CE 4.1 (the highest version supported by the first generation hardware) for $50 each. They are working on a replacement motherboard which will support XPe and it will be ready in about 6 months. No estimated cost for that.

I was reading your earlier post about upgrading the operating system on your airspeak flair and was wondering if it would be possible to copy the ROM from my Flair with CE 4.2 and flash it to my Flair with CE 3?

Also, does anyone out there have the the CE Drivers for the Cisco 340 pcmcia wireless card along with instructions on how to install them? I hate to pay $100 for the wireless drivers for the 2 Airspeak flairs if they are available elsewhere.

Lots of questions, Thanks for your help.

Bill Smith
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2010-08-25 1:04 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Welcome and I hope somebody can help you. I would point out that you're jumping into a 2 year old thread. I haven't seen cmonex around in a while and had a vague impression that she had a whole bunch of other things cooking (besides ROM's). You might trying e-mailing her directly or contacting her via her own website.
 Top of the page
fivel1278 Page Icon Posted 2014-05-25 4:05 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hello all. saw this thread about the airspeak flair during some research. i recently got one of thees and was trying to determine its value and have come to the conclusion that well there aint many out there i guess.anyone have any info to help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.327 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11