x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Where can I find software for Airspeak Flair

1 2 3 4
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-12 7:51 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi,
I just aquired something of an odd bird in Windows CE devices. Its an Airspeak Flair Model No. FLAIR-001. It's a tablet pc with a nice 12 inch 1024X768 LCD screen. And it's apparently got stereo speakers but I don't know what for since I can't get it to run anything I put on it. Its running a stripped down version of Windows CE 3.0. Why you would want to strip down Windows CE is beyond me but that's the way it is. No Contacts, no Calendar, no calculator. I mean STRIPPED DOWN! It only has PocketWord, and IE4, I think. And it's got a some client software for connection to a PC. I was able to see and control my desktop pc with it using a host program on the PC. but I can't seem to get anything to run on it. It's got two pcmcia slots, one with a Cisco Wifi Card, and I put a 512mb CF Card in the other slot. It shows up as 'Storage Card" like on my e750. But I couldn't get anything I downloaded for my e750 to work on it. So far all I can do is run the built-in IE4 thru my WAP, but that browser is pretty outdated, and control my desktop pc with it. It works ~ok~ but it's kinda sluggish. I at least was hoping to run ereader or something on it.

Can someone tell me which version of software I should be downloading for this thing that might work? It's got Windows CE Version 3.0 Build 126, StrongARM CPU, 52372 KB RAM.

By the way, this site worked prefectly and looked great on the big screen!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-12 9:42 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well if it is CE 3.0 then that's why it has nothing. if it was HPC2000 it would have all that. i can give you quite some hpc2000 packages though

office: http://hpcmonex.net/izemize/hpc2000office_ver_1_0_cab.zip
calc: http://hpcmonex.net/izemize/calc.zip
other apps: http://hpcmonex.net/izemize/worldclock_voicerecorder_hpc2000_test1.zip.ZIP
shell dlls if someone fancies trying them: http://hpcmonex.net/izemize/hpc2000shell_files.zip

you should just get apps from
http://yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx
and from links in http://www.hpcfactor.com/community/

pocketpc apps need hacking.
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-12 11:07 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Thanks. I did find some stuff hat works on my Flair. But I notice that I was only able to install .exe files. When I double-tap a .cab file I get a pop-up box that says "Double-tap a .cab file to iinstall it.". But it doesn't intall.

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-01-12 11:13 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You need wceload.exe to install CAB files.
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 1:16 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Ok. And where can I get that from?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 2:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Good question. I've just been trying to find an ARM version via Google search, with no success. Normally, wceload.exe is included on the device (in \Windows), but since your device is a core device rather than a platform device, I assume it's missing.
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 2:47 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hmm. Well, I'm dloading the sdk for the flair Might it be in there?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 4:51 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Dunno, but it's not in the H/PC 2000 SDK.

Here's a look at a newer version of the device:

http://www.windowsfordevices.com/articles/AT5087550821.html

I see it has a flash ROM. Unfortunately, I don't see a link on the Airspeak site for a CE 4.x .net ROM image - otherwise upgrading might be an option.
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 7:57 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Well, I think this thing is pretty useless as a stand-alone device. But I guess that makes sense since it apparently was meant to be a thin client. But with it's wifi and stereo speakers, it does make a GREAT internet radio and mp3 player! I put gsplayer on it. and shoutcast's radio directory works perfectly on the built-in IE. The Shoutcast page looks great on the 12in screen. The units built in speakers sound pretty descent. So I've put it in the bedroom and I can listen to radio or access my desktop pc with it or use IE to access some websites like I am doing now with HPCFACTOR. Thanks for all your help! You've helped me turn a garage sale find into something usefull!

Edited by paulm64 2008-01-13 8:09 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 8:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Pretty cool device. Maybe someone else here will get hold of one too and be able to do some other things with it.
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-13 9:31 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Yes. it is very cool looking gadget! I just wish it did more. If i can find the wceload.exe thing, I could install some cool stuff. I dloaded the sdk from airspeak but when I try to install it, it says the cab file is corrupt. Bummer! And none of the 'contact us' links work. Are they still around?
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-15 4:18 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

BTW, After looking in the windows directory I found the wceload.exe. But when I double click it I get the same pop-up.
 Top of the page
paulm64 Page Icon Posted 2008-01-15 8:33 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Good news everyone! I was poking around on the Flair and I found a folder called Airspeak. Inside was a program called Flair Configuration Utility. I ran it and one of the options was "Restore to Factory Defaults". I did this and now it runs cab files! I don't know how or why, I'm just glad that now I can install more programs. I've already installed some stuff. This thing is really turning out to be a cool device! It even has a PS2 port for keyboard and a USB port. Though I'm not sure what to use on it yet. Maybe an external HD or USB storage device or something. Well, I don't think it will replace my e750. Since it's too big to carry around but I think it would look cool mounted on a wall, either in my bedroom, or the bathroom. It's great for internet radio or an MP3 player. Heck, I even put pocketTV on it. But I haven't figured out how to stream stuff my my pc to the flair yet. Any other ideas on what I can use a Tablet HPC for?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-22 2:37 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2008-01-13 8:33 AM

Good question. I've just been trying to find an ARM version via Google search, with no success. Normally, wceload.exe is included on the device (in \Windows), but since your device is a core device rather than a platform device, I assume it's missing.

as it is an EXE, you can get it from any dumped ce3/hpc2000 rom

BUT... a core device still includes wceload usually.. the license allows for it and most OEMs don't want you to limit that much
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-22 2:37 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2008-01-13 10:51 AM

I see it has a flash ROM. Unfortunately, I don't see a link on the Airspeak site for a CE 4.x .net ROM image - otherwise upgrading might be an option.

or find a cenet 4.2 airspeak with the exact same hardware, dump its rom then figure out how to use the bootloader to flash it on this one
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.313 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 12