x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Philips Velo 1

conti
conti Page Icon Posted 2005-05-02 12:47 PM
#
hey guys,

anybody know the velo 1, introduced in 1997 I think?
I'm having problems hooking it up to my windows xp pc since the program to upload stuff on the velo is designed for win95.

I recently got it from an american friend, it was not even released here in europe, so I first need to get a voltage converter to not blow it up right away with our 220V here

Would be great if anybody had information on hooking the velo up to a win xp system. Links to free software for use with the velo would also be awesome. Or just some hints to get startet.

thx in advance & greetz from germany

conti
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-02 1:00 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

If your velo is running CE2, then you can go into the top Navigation, Sync Software and download ActiveSync 3.8, that is XP compatible.

There is a lot of useful info in the Support section and here on the board.
Welcome to the community.
 Top of the page
conti
conti Page Icon Posted 2005-05-02 5:42 PM
#
I'm fairly sure my velo runs ce2, can't check though since I don't have that converter yet. The win ce cd doesn't say either, I installed the hpc explorer from it, but several error messages popped up saying my os is not compatible and stuff.

So basically all I need to do is get that activesync 3.8 in case my velo really runs ce2?

where's that support section you're talking about?

cheers,
conti
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-02 5:44 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

H/PC Explorer is for CE 1 devices only.
Support is in the top navigation.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-05-02 6:32 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Aren't the Velo 1's CE1? I though they were.

Nick
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-05-02 6:33 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Velo 1's are CE 1 without the upgrade, CE 2 with the upgrade,

Hope it helps,

Nick
 Top of the page
conti
conti Page Icon Posted 2005-05-02 6:40 PM
#
I got that hpc explorer from the win ce cd, now does that mean it's 1.0 only?
although the manual cover says "includes instructions for upgrading to win ce 2.0"

so obviously it should be possible to upgrade to 2.0, no matter what win ce version is on my disk.

can't wait to try that out...
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-05-02 6:51 PM
#
H/PC Elite

, well if you go to the system properties in control panel it will tell you there but it is probably CE 1 not 2.

Your'll be lucky if you can find the upgrade.

Nick
 Top of the page
conti
conti Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 3:54 PM
#
You`re right Nick, I got that voltage converter and startet the velo, it is running ce1 only by default
Therefore it has 12mb ram/hd instead of 4mb (as it says in the velo itself), seems like my friend upgraded it.

According to the user`s guide it is possible to upgrade to ce2 by first installing "windows ce services 2.0" on my desktop computer.
And that`s what the problem is, it won`t run on win xp.

What to do? install win95/98 besides win xp on my desktop pc?
Is there another possibility to upgrade to 2.0, or hook up the velo to the desktop pc running ce1?

Maybe you wanna move this thread to ce1 @mod/admin...thx.

So, can anybody help me out here? What should I do?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 4:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey, why do people keep confusing the ce services synch program with the system itself?
you'll have to acquire a rom upgrade somewhere, that's a physical rom chip with ce 2.0 on it.
 Top of the page
conti
conti Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 5:00 PM
#
nah I'm not buying anything obsolete like that, it has to work another way.
if anything else fails I'll reassemble my old pentiumII system, install win95 on it, and sync it with the velo. software update to ce 2.0 should be possible, that`s what the user`s guide says. not with win xp though, seems like I can`t even sync under xp.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 6:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Windows CE 2.0 is not a software update.
The only thing you install on the host is Windows CE Services 2.0, which is the CE2 Sync client (H/PC Explorer is the CE1 sync client).
CE Services was replaced with ActiveSync and is now at version 3.8. If you ahve a 2.0 device you can use it to sync, download is in Sync Software in the in top navigation.

H/PC Explorer is your only option under CE1, see the Sync Software section again for a download and as said the support section on connecting CE1 to Windows XP.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 2.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 9