x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

General Development Guidelines Q for HPC 2000 Apps

Hal Page Icon Posted 2008-01-23 7:36 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hi Gang,

Could someone give me an application developer's laundry list I could take to the internet to get started porting or developing apps from scratch for my Jornada 728?

I have done some development years ago in QBASIC, interpretive BASIC, FORTRAN IV(showing my age), and a little C++, but have none of these around at this time. I see SDK's and the like on the MSFT web site and discussion here, but not sure what is needed in conjunction with this and what the options are. What are the steps?

Any guidance would be appreciated.
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2008-01-24 5:22 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

See http://www.hpcfactor.com/developer/

I'd go for EVT3 with the HPC Pro SDK, as this targets the largest user base and has just about the best SDK implementation that includes a workable emulator. Install EVT first, then install the SDK.

For learning WinCE programming, I thoroughly recommend the "Boling Book" - programming windows ce - as it's a great introduction that walks you through the steps to build competence in programming the platform.

Good luck!
 Top of the page
khe Page Icon Posted 2008-01-24 5:29 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hey,

you can develop applications with Microsoft's Embedded Visual Tools 3.0. Download them here:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/developer/
You can choose between eVB and eVC++.

There is also some language called NS Basic CE but it's not free. And then there are some ports of Python or Perl for example.

If anyone has any useful tutorials regarding eVB or eVC++ I would be very thankful if he or she posted them here.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-24 11:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

evc++ "tutorial"? as said, boling... i have CE3 and ce.net editions, send me an email to contactchan at freemail.hu if you want them (chm or pdf).
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2008-01-24 12:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Now that is facinating because the last time I looked that book wasn't freepress...
 Top of the page
khe Page Icon Posted 2008-01-25 5:47 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I think somebody should also mention DialectCE, it's easy to learn and you can even program on your Jornada. Google for a link.
 Top of the page
khe Page Icon Posted 2008-01-25 8:19 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

khe - 2008-01-25 5:47 AM

I think somebody should also mention DialectCE, it's easy to learn and you can even program on your Jornada. Google for a link.

sry for doublepost. (I can't edit anymore)

I found this (untested). It seems to be a GUI-Designer for Dialect.
http://guilect.homestead.com/

Also here is the original link for Dialect:
http://dialect.sourceforge.net/
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2008-01-25 9:25 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Indeed, the boling book is still very much in copyright, and still very much something you buy.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2008-01-25 10:06 AM
#
H/PC Elite

On Amazon I see references to Douglas Boling's CE programming books, 1998, and 2nd edition 2001(?). Suppose I should look for these and make sure they have the CD included(??) Is the 2nd edition any more or less comprehensive than the 1st edition?

Edited by Hal 2008-01-25 10:07 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-27 2:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

2nd edition is CE3, 3rd edition is ce.net. so i assume 1st is ce2 (2.11?). it is not about being less comprehensive, it depends on what OS version your target is.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2008-01-27 7:15 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Found 2nd ed on a Canadian site, so bought it. No mention of the CD, so may have to sharpen my typing skills!!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-28 3:19 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

well Hal, if you buy it anyway, i don't think it is a problem if i send you the contents of the cd. but if that's still a problem i'll just shut up of course
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2008-02-06 1:38 PM
#
H/PC Elite

hey Cmonex: Got my Boling 2nd edition today in the mail and came with 2 CDs, which I didn't expect. Thanks for the help.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 11