x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Linux on NEC 900

Bi_CEps
Bi_CEps Page Icon Posted 2008-01-26 1:32 PM
#
Hi all,

as a not very technical user of NEC 900c contemplating installing linux, I would appreciate if someone could give me a few pointers?

1. Is it possible to install linux on NEC 900, and if so where would one find instructions and files?

2. If possible, what advantages, if and, does linux have over CE 4.2 in terms of programs and hardware support? Does it come with some kind of office, word and spreadsheet processor, calendar?

Thanx and sorry if all of this has already been asked and answered, did try to browse through various threads.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-01-26 2:29 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Top of the page
Bi_CEps
Bi_CEps Page Icon Posted 2008-01-26 2:51 PM
#
Hi, thanx for the info, I was expecting a bit more information regarding advantages and possibilities of linux vs. CE 4.2. Also, am I to understand correctly from the thread you pointed out to that this is still a trial version. If so what are its limitations?

I appreciate this all may sound very trivial to many of you, but I'm sure there are many people ot there who are using HPCs without a very big indepth knowledge of HOW they actually work.

I'm afraid most of the stuff in the thread you mentioned is just too technical for me, and I'm afraid I have neither time nor the inclination to start learning about computer programming. And am probably too old too

So again, I would appreciate a bit more information from a not very technical user point of view.
Thanx
 Top of the page
Kristoffer Page Icon Posted 2008-02-01 3:58 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Cmonex no need to get all technical with everyone.

Bi_CEps :
What cmonex is trying to say is :
1) yes linux is available for mp900c and quite usefull.
2) its not fully developed yet so a few things doesn't work 100%.
What works :
screen
pcmcia
keyboard
touchscreen
sound (although lacking confirmation on that yet)

If you want userland/kernel you can find it at http://www.jlime.com with install instructions.

Btw Cmonex, when you get a chance come to IRC channel so we can fix that goddam bootup issue.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-02-01 10:19 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

kristoffer: i'm online right now. was traveling before.

i wasn't getting "all technical", i simply linked to the relevant thread. the thread has a link to a neat tutorial written by michelbel on how to install linux. but yeah, jlime.com is good too.

as for the user experience, with the help of the tutorial hopefully you can try it out and see for yourself.

Edited by cmonex 2008-02-01 10:20 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 1.093 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9