x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 820 Internet connection questions

amos
amos Page Icon Posted 2008-01-29 8:39 PM
#
Hey guys,

First of all, I'm brand new here, and not even sure I'm in the right section of the forum. If not, please let me know.

I've been asked by a friend with a Jornada 820 (running CE 3.0, but it then says "core system 2.11" and i don't know what that even is referring to) to see if I can connect his Jornada to the Internet.

I thought I would try my Netgear Wireless USB adaptor, but I haven't had any luck even connecting to a PC to install the driver. So, as you can see, I'm REALLY green on these things.

I tried hooking the USB/Serial cable to a Win98 box I have, and the Jornada tried to connect but no success. I haven't been able to connect, although the Jornada did see the serial connection and tried to connect.

Has anyone written a "how-to" to connect these things to the net via the USB port and a wireless adaptor?

I really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

-amos
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-01-29 11:59 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to Handheld PC Professional Support

The 820 runs Handheld PC Professional Edition, version 3.0, which is the platform name for Windows CE 2.11 for the Handheld PC. (Have I succeeded in confusing you further? )

The USB port doesn't support wireless USB devices. The simplest way to connect is to get a PCMCIA WiFi card. See the Hardware Compatibility List for compatible cards (with driver download links):

http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/

As for connecting with your PC via the serial sync cable, I trust you've installed ActiveSync on your PC.
 Top of the page
amos
amos Page Icon Posted 2008-01-30 12:30 AM
#
thanks!!

ok, a pcmcia wi-fi card... i'll do that.

i haven't installed activesync on the pc yet. i assumed (wrongly?) that it would connect to the serial port even if it couldn't "do" anything once connected.

i'll give that a try, too.

my friend with the jornada and i both travel a lot (airline employees) and a 2 pound way to connect to the net sure seems attractive. i was thinking about an eee pc or maybe the cloudbook, but if these things work i might pick one up for myself, too.

i'll work on it a bit. it'll take a few days to find the pcmcia card, etc... and then we'll see where i stand.

thanks!!

amos

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-01-30 2:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I always play with my H/PCs while in flight whenever I travel. (Any chance of free WiFi in flight anytime soon? )
 Top of the page
amos
amos Page Icon Posted 2008-01-30 11:42 AM
#
CE Geek - 2008-01-30 2:24 AM
(Any chance of free WiFi in flight anytime soon? )

I wish! That would be awesome!

So, anything else I need to know? I should be able to get the wireless card on ebay.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-01-31 12:32 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

This too if you plan to access secure sites:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0107.asp

The update is available here:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/
 Top of the page
amos
amos Page Icon Posted 2008-01-31 11:11 PM
#
thanks!

i got the connection between the PC and the Jornada working just fine.

i haven't gotten a wireless card yet. am i reading it correctly that there are no 802.11g cards that will work?

after i get it working i'll see about that secure site upgrade. i'll need that.

-amos
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-01-31 11:28 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That's correct - you need an 802.11b card.
 Top of the page
amos
amos Page Icon Posted 2008-02-02 11:17 AM
#
ok, i ordered a proxim orinoco gold card. should be here in a few days, but with my schedule i don't know if i'll be here when it comes. haha

after i get it installed i'll get back to the secure upgrade you talked about.

by the way, thanks for your step-by-step help on this. i wasn't sure where to turn. you and your site are great!

here's what my friend wants to use the jornado for on his trips.

1) checking his schedule (the secure site i told you about)
2) checking his email (aol.com)
3) skype
4) just browsing the web

so after i get the secure upgrade and the schedule site working, i need to ask about skype. is that possible with the jornado?

-amos

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-02-03 2:16 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Not on the 820, I'm sorry to say. There are people still struggling to get it working on the 720, which runs H/PC 2000 (CE 3.0).
 Top of the page
amos
amos Page Icon Posted 2008-02-06 12:56 AM
#
haha, yeah.

well, i'm struggling to get ANYTHING working. i did get the wireless card to work, and can get to a few web pages, but nothing after the first page. like, no yahoo mail, no google searches, nothing.

i did download and install the program 128bitHPC.exe, but it didn't seem to help.

am i missing something obvious? --or-- is there a way to upgrade the browser to something that will work? is there a cut-down version of a regular (non-ce) browser that will work?

thanks

-amos
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-02-06 3:28 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The choices are unfortunately limited on H/PC Pro devices - and PIE 3 is rather inadequate, as you've found out. There are better choices for browsing in Linux - see the Linux/Unix forum on this site for ways to run Linux on the H/PC.
 Top of the page
amos
amos Page Icon Posted 2008-02-06 2:58 PM
#
well, i looked...

that stuff is waaaaay over my head, i'm afraid. i thought this was complicated, but that is by far more than i can do.

am i missing something? i had the impression that i'd at least be able to do a few things with PIE i can't even check my yahoo email account. i get a "sorry, bad request" page.

was i expecting too much... or do i still have some more work to do before it's really useful?

if lynux is really the only way, can you help me with the steps?

-amos
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 8