x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J820 and WPC11 v.3

justetina Page Icon Posted 2008-02-03 1:37 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Is there a step-by-step instruction for getting the wifi pc card WPC11 v.3 installed and working on the J820?

I downloaded the driver from the support list.
When I start the utility in the J820, a window asked for the driver name. What do I enter?

For the configuration, I read somewhere (hpcfactor forum?) that I can enter "Any" for the SSID. Is that correct?

If the above makes no sense whatsoever , please advise me on how to get my J820 connected via wifi. I just need to connect to wifi at public areas i.e. coffee shop and bookstores.

Thank you in advance!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-02-03 3:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You're correct about entering "ANY" for the SSID. When the 820 asks for a driver name, type in prismnds.
 Top of the page
justetina Page Icon Posted 2008-02-03 7:07 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

When I went back to start the utility this time, it did not ask for the driver name. Do I need to reinstall to get back to that message or ok to proceed?

If I know the SSID (i.e. home connection), do I enter it or leave it at Any?

When I go to the link window of the utility on the J820, the link was strong. But when I launched the Internet Explorer and entered a web address, it gives me an error as if I'm not connect at all. I'm at a home connection so maybe there are password and such that I don't know about. If I were to go to a public wifi spot with free access, it should work, yes?
Are there other settings I'm missing?
The Encryption tab, is that only for data encryption and secured sites? Not passworded connection?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-02-03 9:17 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The Encryption tab is for passworded connection. If you leave the SSID as "ANY," then yes, it should connect at a hotspot as well. However, is your router set to B mode (or B/G combined mode)?
 Top of the page
justetina Page Icon Posted 2008-02-04 7:10 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

We have the router on B/G but switched to B and still not working. I don't use it at home much so am not too concerned. I'll try the public hotspots later and report back. Thanks for your help!
 Top of the page
justetina Page Icon Posted 2008-02-07 11:19 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

It did not work at the local wifi spot
All the setting seems fine. I looked on the Link tab on the utility and it had excellent signal. But all addresses I tried was "bad."

I read the article on the WPC11 on the 900C. The images showed a window where you have to click Connect to go online. I did not do that. Actually, I didn't see anything that say "connect" on it. Was there supposed to be. Am I missing something?

Also, I was using the IE browser that came with the J820. Is there a different one I should use?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-02-08 1:43 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

"Once you tap Connect you should authenticate (if required) and be connected."

that's only for CE.NET devices and not really necessary, only if you want to pick a specific AP
 Top of the page
justetina Page Icon Posted 2008-02-09 1:13 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I've been reviewing the numerous forum discussion to find answers but still need your help.

It seems I'm getting excellent signal but I'm not getting online. I get the message "The Internet site 'www......' could not be found. Please verify that the address is correct and try again."

What can I try next?
 Top of the page
justetina Page Icon Posted 2008-02-10 7:43 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I am wondering if I am misunderstanding the LED and utility window. I thought I was getting strong signal and linking to the access point because on the WPC11 Config Utility window on the J820, the bars for the "Signal" and "Link" was filled in and at 100%. Is that what the bars mean? That the J820 is picking up the WiFi signal?

How can I connect / go online once I pick up the signal?
Do I need to "Create a New Connection" under Remote Network? I have not done that. All I did was double click on the PIE icon on the desktop.

For what it's worth, the error message I get ("The internet site .... could not be found..." is the same one I would get if I try to go online WITHOUT a WiFi card.

The LED lights (link and power) on the card lit up green. And the little icon on the taskbar is green with the 2 antennaes. That mean the problem is not with the card itself?

Is the problem with the J820? Or should I try another card? I picked WPC11 since it was on the compatibility list. There are several others, which one should I try next?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
justetina Page Icon Posted 2008-02-11 12:58 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Here's more info. I ran the vxUtil and got the follwoing:

Current IP: Jornada 127.0.0.1

Adapters
WCF111 - Instant Wireless Network Card Driver (does it matter that the card is WPC11 yet the readout here is WCF111?)

IP Address: 0.0.0.0

Everything else after that is blank; no Subnet Mask, No gateway, no DNS listed.

I had the DHCP set to assign IP when I ran the vxUtil.

Does this tell you what I may try next?
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2008-02-11 8:43 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

justetina - 2008-02-10 7:43 PM

I am wondering if I am misunderstanding the LED and utility window. I thought I was getting strong signal and linking to the access point because on the WPC11 Config Utility window on the J820, the bars for the "Signal" and "Link" was filled in and at 100%. Is that what the bars mean? That the J820 is picking up the WiFi signal?

You could try walking away from your router and making sure the bars drop from 100%.

I don't have one of these myself, so I'm completely guessing here. But I'd suggest trying that "create a new connection" thing. The 127.0.0.1 is just the loop-back address for your machine.
 Top of the page
justetina Page Icon Posted 2008-02-11 12:17 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

gjcoram - 2008-02-11 5:43 AM
You could try walking away from your router and making sure the bars drop from 100%.

The bars did drop down from 100% as I moved away from the access point.
The "Make a New Connection" only gave me the option of dial-up or direct; I couldn't configure it.

Thank you for trying to help.
 Top of the page
justetina Page Icon Posted 2008-02-18 12:33 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I got the same WPC11 card to work on my J720. I tried the same settings and steps (soft resets etc...) that got it to work on the J720 but still no go on the J820. Does anyone know if the settings are different on the 2 devices? or if the J820 is defective somehow? Or is it the inconsistency of the card itself?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.242 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10