x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

If there was a modern Psion or HP Jornada type computer that ran full Windows, would you buy one?

« Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »
If there was a modern Psion or HP Jornada type computer that ran full Windows, would you buy one?
OptionResults
yes (I would pay up to $600 to 900)35 Votes - [67.31%]
35 Votes [67.31%]
yes (I would pay up to $901 to $1500)2 Votes - [3.85%]
2 Votes [3.85%]
yes (I would pay up to $2000)1 Votes - [1.92%]
1 Votes [1.92%]
no14 Votes - [26.92%]
14 Votes [26.92%]

cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-13 8:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2009-02-23 5:02 AM

The HTC Shift I think can do that, somewhat indirectly.

The general idea is to use a Windows CE or Windows Mobile device as a "mediator" between two Windows PCs. One way to do it is to have that CE device by your desktop PC, so before you take your portable PC, you sync desktop with CE, and then CE with portable.

But the HTC Shift simplifies it because it has both a Windows Mobile device and a Windows PC in one machine. You only need to sync the WM half with your desktop, and you're good to go. The PC and WM in Shift can sync themselves when you're on the road. Altho I'm not 100% sure if someone has actually tried that syncing thing... Particularly I don't know if you can sync the Shift's WM with another PC. The Shift also has UTMS and HSDPA built in.

you can sync the WM part to the vista part. you cannot directly sync WM to another PC.

the phone can be used now for calling in WM part

and vista can be replaced with XP / Linux / Win7
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-13 8:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

I don't like the cloud idea. no privacy... I don't use gmail either, I don't like google. it's poinless to argue by talking about cameras. I may (and do) have files and other data that are very secret and would totally not appreciate it if anyone else got their hands on them (both personally and financially).

PS: I forgot shift now also has GPS

Edited by cmonex 2009-03-13 8:27 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2009-03-14 7:10 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2009-03-13 5:23 PM
you can sync the WM part to the vista part. you cannot directly sync WM to another PC.

Cannot connect the WM to another PC with USB or bluetooth?
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2009-03-14 7:29 PM
#
H/PC Elder

cmonex - 2009-03-13 5:24 PM

I don't like the cloud idea. no privacy... I don't use gmail either, I don't like google.

If it is free or from an unknown internet company, it is risky. But like I said, if your ISP provides it, the security issue is almost a moot point. All your emails are stored in your ISP's server until you download them anyway. I don't use gmail, but I do use my ISP's webmail service when I'm not home. It is just as secure (if not more secure) than using traditional mail servers.

Cloud computing is like putting your money in a chequing account, and local data is stashes of cash under your pillow. You might feel your money is more safe if you can touch and smell it, but sooner or later you will deposit them in your chequing account simply for convenience. Similarly, sooner or later you will put all your files online simply for convenience.
 Top of the page
ExPsionMan Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 4:33 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi - Having now taken a closer look at the Sony and read a review in the latest PcPro magazine, I can not see the cost of the device justifying the purchase of this over and above say the Samsung NC10 Netbook. In terms of either the Sony, Samsung or HTC Shift being a replacement for my old Psion 5mx, Jornada 728, none of them are as pocketable as Psion or Jornada.

I have tried a number of keyboardless PDA's and the HTC TyTnII and found the Windows Mobile platform far too slow. - The closest I have found to the Psion and Jornada are the Nokia Communicators, although the keybaords on them are no where near the quality of the 5mx keyboard. But the range of available software suits me, battery life is good and speed of operating progammes, syncing with PC and Intenet via GPRS is just fine for me.

For me to date, there is no "ideal" PDA/ smartphone - they all have advantages and disadvantages. The 5mx was great but I didn't like the display, the Jornada was also great, but available software was limited and I never found a good Route Planning Software that would operate on it with GPS unit, such as Palmtops Route Planner or TomTom. With the advent of smartphones, any PDA has to have a built-in phone/ internet and ability to sync with PC via ActiveSync or PC Suite, type programmes.

I'll keep looking for the ideal PDA/ phone though!

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 1:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2009-03-15 1:10 AM

cmonex - 2009-03-13 5:23 PM

Cannot connect the WM to another PC with USB or bluetooth?

no, there is no usb sync port on the shift. (it syncs to the x86 part via an internal connection)

bluetooth is not available on WM part
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 1:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

takwu - 2009-03-15 1:29 AM

cmonex - 2009-03-13 5:24 PM

I don't like the cloud idea. no privacy... I don't use gmail either, I don't like google.

If it is free or from an unknown internet company, it is risky. But like I said, if your ISP provides it, the security issue is almost a moot point. All your emails are stored in your ISP's server until you download them anyway. I don't use gmail, but I do use my ISP's webmail service when I'm not home. It is just as secure (if not more secure) than using traditional mail servers.

Cloud computing is like putting your money in a chequing account, and local data is stashes of cash under your pillow. You might feel your money is more safe if you can touch and smell it, but sooner or later you will deposit them in your chequing account simply for convenience. Similarly, sooner or later you will put all your files online simply for convenience.

I don't use my ISP's webmail, because who knows if I'm going to change ISP's one day. and currently I use 4 ISP's anyway (5 if I add the backup dialup connection )

my issue with security is not really about emails though, but other stuff. it is mostly personal and business stuff.

as for convenience, as soon as my ISP will provide me with a 3Gb/s upload bandwidth then perhaps (or whatever SATAII hdd speed is). currently my upload is around 35-40kbyte/s and 25-30kbyte/s for my 2 main ISP's (the others are mobile internet and I will not pay for unlimited data).

Edited by cmonex 2009-03-15 1:53 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 2:56 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ExPsionMan - 2009-03-15 1:33 AM
In terms of either the Sony, Samsung or HTC Shift being a replacement for my old Psion 5mx, Jornada 728, none of them are as pocketable as Psion or Jornada.
. . .
I'll keep looking for the ideal PDA/ phone though!

I was chatting with cmonex the other day, mainly about UMPCs. Quite a few interesting devices to consider really.

For pocketability AND a keyboard, wait for the UMID mbook; it's slightly smaller than a Sig3. The Fujitsu U820 is a bit larger but still pretty small. The Raon Everun Note is probably the next larger device (size similar to Shift), and it's really capable if you're ok with the size and short battery life.

If you don't need a real keyboard and mastered the art of thumbtyping (or "Blackberrying", OQO Model 02+ is really small and starts at $999.

cmonex herself uses a Sony UX390 Or the HTC Shift.

I was playing with the Sony P at the store the other day (just the physical, as the login was passworded ) Honestly the keyboard is not that great. It feels harder to type than the Picturebook keyboard. The machine is much thinner and a bit smaller overall than Picturebook. Which means it's significantly smaller than most netbooks out there, but still larger than many UMPCs.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2009-03-15 3:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

UMID1

Top of the page
« Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 14