x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

If there was a modern Psion or HP Jornada type computer that ran full Windows, would you buy one?

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »
If there was a modern Psion or HP Jornada type computer that ran full Windows, would you buy one?
OptionResults
yes (I would pay up to $600 to 900)35 Votes - [67.31%]
35 Votes [67.31%]
yes (I would pay up to $901 to $1500)2 Votes - [3.85%]
2 Votes [3.85%]
yes (I would pay up to $2000)1 Votes - [1.92%]
1 Votes [1.92%]
no14 Votes - [26.92%]
14 Votes [26.92%]

CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-02-28 10:35 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yes. HTC shift is very nice. The problem is the price tag ($1599).

Edited by CAuser 2008-02-28 10:35 AM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2008-02-28 7:58 PM
#
H/PC Elder

DonL0001 - 2008-02-26 1:38 AM
Can you reference a picturebook?

If you mean what is the model of my Picturebook, it's the C1MV/M.

BTW the Vye S41 is what I meant by the "latest" Kohjinsha, rebranded by Vye.
 Top of the page
ExPsionMan Page Icon Posted 2008-02-29 12:35 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi - I assume your picture book is one of the Sony PCG-C1 models? I have been considering replacing my Jornada 728. however, the only point that has been stopping me is that I have not been able to find out how to Sync Outlook Calendar and Contacts automatically (or with a few clicks of the mouse) - the Sony PCG to my home Laptop and Work Desktop. If you already do this I would be very interested if you could please explain the process? / Ideally this would be via a USB to USB lead, which would be the simplest method of connecting the machines.

I particularly like the Sony PCG's as although they are larger than the Jornada, they are still a useful size and are smaller than other more recent machines such as the ASUS Eee. I have found Laptops, shut down via Windows Hibernate, still have a reasonable start up time of a few seconds.

Kind regards

Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2008-02-29 11:14 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I don't think there's anyway to sync Outlook from one PC to another PC, at least not in Outlook itself.

There is a workaround... Kinda stupid but it works. Simply set up an HPC/PPC to sync with both PCs, and use it to "transport" the data from one PC to another.

Also, there could be third party solutions more elegant than that... I don't know
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2008-02-29 11:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sony UX50 is the size I would appreciate but then something with a higher resolution, and clamshell rather than what it has now for keyboard.
Full-blown vista or XP isnt a really big deal. I'd settle for Windows 2000 as well.

I would love to be able to do my delphi-development on the go.
I might go for the eee though.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-03-01 2:36 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

PocketDVD - 2008-02-29 8:23 PM

Sony UX50 is the size I would appreciate but then something with a higher resolution, and clamshell rather than what it has now for keyboard.
Full-blown vista or XP isnt a really big deal. I'd settle for Windows 2000 as well.

Good luck with that, given that Windows 2000 is beyond EOL.

A full-blown PC the size of the Sony UX-50? With that microscopic hardware keyboard?

Nothing stupid about your H/PC relay idea, takwu. To me that's exactly the point of the option in ActiveSync of synching with two PCs.

Edited by CE Geek 2008-03-01 2:38 AM
 Top of the page
ExPsionMan Page Icon Posted 2008-03-01 3:38 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi Thanks for your feedback - this is in fact how I achieve this at the moment, but it defeats the point of buying one of the small footprint devices such as the Sony PCG-C1 series, HTC Shift, ASUS Eee, etc, etc if one then has to carry two machines around - a Handheld PC or Pocket PC and the small footprint PC device.

I am sure there are many other business users, such as myself that have a secretary keep thier diary up to date on their Desktop PC and need a small handheld device such as the Sony PCGC1, ASUS Eee, that will run full Windows Packages and Sync with Desktop when returning to office.

The present bread of Windows XP or Vista driven small footprint PC's are useless for users such as myself, without the ability to Sync with Outlook and the Windows Mobile Devices with keyboards, have keyboards which are in my opinion not much use and the platform will not run full Windows software.

Until the manufacturers catch up with the need of the Business User, I will continue to use my Jornada 728 and Work Laptop i.e. carrying two devices most of the time.
Kind regards
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-03-01 12:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

CE Geek - 2008-03-01 8:36 AM

Good luck with that, given that Windows 2000 is beyond EOL.

A full-blown PC the size of the Sony UX-50? With that microscopic hardware keyboard?

win2000 is still a lot more usable than you'd think... i have it on my libretto

heh @ second line. the sony vaio UX is exactly that. unusable.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-03-01 2:57 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Windows 2000 is a great OS - you just can't get a new PC with it.

(Oh, and the Sony UX-50 is a a Clie, not a Vaio - it's a Palm OS handheld. )
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2008-03-02 1:04 AM
#
H/PC Elder

ExPsionMan - 2008-03-01 12:38 AM

Hi Thanks for your feedback - this is in fact how I achieve this at the moment, but it defeats the point of buying one of the small footprint devices such as the Sony PCG-C1 series, HTC Shift, ASUS Eee, etc, etc if one then has to carry two machines around - a Handheld PC or Pocket PC and the small footprint PC device.

You don't have to carry the HPC or PPC with you. You can keep it right beside the desktop PC, if all you need it for is to transport data to your laptop when you need it.

Alternatively, you can use a Windows Mobile smartphone to do it. Personally I use a PPC phone for my schedules and address book. Granted the PPC phones are still not very sexy (maybe except HTC Touch...) or very normal as a phone (almost all have no keypad). But the Windows Mobile Standard devices (aka Smartphone) are very much like regular phones. A good example is the HP mobile messenger. These devices can do the ActiveSync between your PCs, and double as a regular cell phone.

The present bread of Windows XP or Vista driven small footprint PC's are useless for users such as myself, without the ability to Sync with Outlook and the Windows Mobile Devices with keyboards, have keyboards which are in my opinion not much use and the platform will not run full Windows software.

Until the manufacturers catch up with the need of the Business User, I will continue to use my Jornada 728 and Work Laptop i.e. carrying two devices most of the time.
Kind regards

You should really look at the Fujitsu U810 again. It has a workable keyboard (I think similar to Jornada?). And the footprint is really quite small.
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2008-03-02 8:02 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

You should really look at the Fujitsu U810 again. It has a workable keyboard (I think similar to Jornada?). And the footprint is really quite small.

Have a look at a YouTube review of the U810 here (something you'd struggle to do on a Jornada 720's graphics chip and browser)
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/worlds-smallest-tablet-pc-fujitsu-u810-review/3676482
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-03-03 3:17 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The review notwithstanding, I like the U810's size and design - just trade Vista for XP and I'd be happy. How much is that little thing going for right now?
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-03-03 4:08 AM
#
H/PC Elite

In Singapore, the U810 is known as the U1010. This is the version with quadand GSM and triband HSDPA.

The three OSes you can configure it with are Windows Vista® Home Premium, Vista® Business or Windows® XP Tablet PC Edition.

On the balance, I think I'd go for Vista business for the inking ability as well as (what I think is) the superior hibernate mode in Vista over XP. I agree that out of the box Vista is slower than XP, but it can be tweaked to behave in a near identical way.

Price-wise it it going for about SGD$1,300 (or USD$950), so within the price range we're discussing here.
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-03-03 4:12 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Sorry, just wanted to add that the U1010 differs from the U810 in that it has those funny Mickey Mouse ears on either side of the screen. It aslo comes in white as well as black.

Edited by ZSX 2008-03-03 4:14 AM
 Top of the page
chiark Page Icon Posted 2008-03-03 6:58 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

That looks damn smart!

I've just bought a libretto u100 for a silly good price, and am starting to enjoy that. The screen - 7 inch, cramming 1280x768 into it - is beautiful!
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 41