x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

If there was a modern Psion or HP Jornada type computer that ran full Windows, would you buy one?

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »
If there was a modern Psion or HP Jornada type computer that ran full Windows, would you buy one?
OptionResults
yes (I would pay up to $600 to 900)35 Votes - [67.31%]
35 Votes [67.31%]
yes (I would pay up to $901 to $1500)2 Votes - [3.85%]
2 Votes [3.85%]
yes (I would pay up to $2000)1 Votes - [1.92%]
1 Votes [1.92%]
no14 Votes - [26.92%]
14 Votes [26.92%]

mobilesalesman Page Icon Posted 2008-03-10 1:37 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

takwu - 2008-03-06 4:27 PM

mobilesalesman - 2008-03-03 11:30 AM
One concept that never made it to market was the Dualcor PC. That was supposed to have windows mobile and windows where you could switch the OS and save battery life.

The HTC Shift runs both OSes just like the Dualcor was supposed to.

Devices like the Fujitsu, Libereto and others are still too large so you need a carrying case and that would look like a "man purse". Not something socially in the mainstream but for geeks that might be ok, but not for me.

The Fujitsu is a lot smaller than the Libretto U100. It might even fit in a larger jacket pocket, especially if you opt for the smaller battery, which gives it a measure of 171 x 133 x 26.5 mm (according to Cnet Asia http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/0,39050490,40571041p,00.htm).

Yes it's still much deeper than a Jornada (189 mm x 95 mm x 34 mm), but it is close to a Sig3 (189 mm x 117 mm x 21 mm).

Fujitsu's depth is too wide being about 5" for it to fit in any normal jacket pocket; the max I think would be about 4.25" and that is pushing the envelope for most pockets. I liked the Fujitsu and if you look at the amount of wasted space around the keys etc. the probably could redesign it to make the depth more narrow?

I've always thought Linux for total geeks but recently someone told me a lot has changed and that there are softwares to enable Linux to run windows applications? I just mention this as there are a lot of new devices using Linux. Can Linux run third party windows applications along with standard MS office, etc?

I have been a long time MS fan but with them being so clueless on mobile devices as evident from their UMPC vision; I would easily switch to Linux or Apple if any of them created a modern Jornada type pocket laptop.

The other potential is if the US gets wimax wireless like Korea has. Then devices like the Samsung SPH P9200 would be sold here and that is so far the best mobile computer I have seen but unfortunately can not buy as they do not offer it for international sales outside of Korea?
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-03-19 9:03 AM
#
H/PC Elite

cmonex - 2008-03-07 10:46 AM

takwu - 2008-03-06 10:27 PM
The HTC Shift runs both OSes just like the Dualcor was supposed to.

not really, until we find a way to hack the crippled WM6.

Look! The first steps to freeing up Windows Mobile from the contraints of SnapVue.
http://www.modaco.com/content/Windows-Mobile-News/266537/Liberate-your-HTC-Shift/

Suddenly the Shift becomes that much more appealing.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-03-19 12:45 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

heh, hopefully soon i'm getting a shift to hack the hell out of it - though i've already played with stuff, shift owners helping to test things

right now it is immensely limited out of the box by HTC. not even any hard reset method without WM booting! but i found a way to do it from vista, so no worries any more. also the WM part is missing the SD, wifi and GPS drivers. SD and GPS we can make possible, it seems. wifi is a long way to go right now.

but next is testing the hacked bootloader so we can load any custom OS on it. going to have that tested soon, but it's less fun without physical access to the device :/

also i want CE running on it.

by the way you are wrong, modaco is second step, first step is of course xda-developers forums

Edited by cmonex 2008-03-19 12:49 PM
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2008-03-20 3:24 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Back to the topic... I just saw the Fujitsu U810 in person when I was in Toronto last week. Altho I didn't touch it as it was behind glass. The keys are indeed similar to Jornada and Sig 3.

The problem with these devices being too "deep" is the same as in the smartphone area: manufacturers are not willing to use a non-standard screen ratio. They are sticking to the wide aspect (16x9 ish) or the standard ratio (4x3). To truely make a Jornada-like device (or to revive the HPC form factor in general), the screen has to be wider than the current "wide" screen. Otherwise it would just turn out to be another compromised design.
 Top of the page
nicmalone Page Icon Posted 2008-03-25 7:11 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I've actually had a real run of luck solving puzzles that I failed to do over my previous 6 years of Jornada 720 ownership. Thanks in no small part to this forum and the HPC Factor site, I now have a J720 can allows me to do the following:

Write and edit MS Word & Excel docs via SoftMaker Office
Listen to internet radio or MP3s via GS Player
Watch ultra widescreen video via TCPMP (DVD conversions via HPC-friendly DVD Catalyst)
Sync wirelessly with my PC via ActiveSync and WiFi (Cisco Aironet 350 PC card)
Read RSS feeds via AvantGo
Browse offline via Mobile Channel Wizard (or AvantGo or iSilo)
Browse modern website online with NetFront (thanks Cmonex!)
Access my Windows XP machine remotely over the internet via MS Remote Desktop/Terminal Server Client
Sync my .Mac mail via IMAP settings in Pocket Mail (html rendering would stil be nice though!)
Sync events from iCal on my Mac to the Jornada via a combination of Outlook, GSync and Spanning Sync
And connect to external displays via a Voyager VGA card.

Who needs a clunky bloatware box running Vista? I'm keeping my J720

Edited by nicmalone 2008-03-25 7:43 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-03-25 1:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Hear, hear!
 Top of the page
Prince Hal
Prince Hal Page Icon Posted 2008-03-26 5:46 PM
#
No not I. The form factor is great and the Psion 5 keyboard is still the best in my opinion. But the key is the instant on and the battery life. Instant notetaking and referencing. So simply give me the Psion 5 (hinge and screen cable problems resolved), with a much, much better screen - even if it were greyscale - and an active development community. For that I would pay $200 to $300.

Hal.
 Top of the page
HellDragon Page Icon Posted 2008-04-13 8:27 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I don't like Windows (I use BSD and/or Linux everywhere instead) and my Jornada 728 is fine since I can run Debian and most apps I like on it.
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-04-14 6:09 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The Willcom UMPC I mentioned earlier in this thread has been announced in Japan. It is called the Willcom D4.

Looks like the HTC Shift, although smaller and runs Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium. It has a 1.33 GHz Atom processor but only 1 GB of RAM. Other specs: 40 GB hard drive, slide-out 64-key keyboard, 5-inch display.

Official website here:
http://www.sharp.co.jp/d4/function/design.html

I like!
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-04-14 6:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

The Willcom UMPC I mentioned earlier in this thread has been announced in Japan. It is called the Willcom D4.

Looks like the HTC Shift, although smaller and runs Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium. It has a 1.33 GHz Atom processor but only 1 GB of RAM. Other specs: 40 GB hard drive, slide-out 64-key keyboard, 5-inch display.

Official website here:

I like!
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-04-14 6:11 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Official website here:

Hands on here:
http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news_details.php?id=15829

I like!
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-04-14 6:16 PM
#
H/PC Elder

there is plenty of room there for a touch typable keyboard.... when will they ever learn...

May still have to track one down when they are affordable.

John
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-04-14 6:42 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Sharp does make really nice ultra-mobile PC. Back in 2001/2, my PC-UM10M (2.97LBs) was its Ultra-Mobile (UM) offering with top-notch build quality to notebook users. It's still my workhorse.
 Top of the page
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-04-15 6:35 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Apologies for the multiple posts - the server timed out when I clicked the submit button, so I wasn't sure whether it went through or not!
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-04-15 8:04 AM
#
H/PC Elder

looked at some more pics and maybe the keyboard is better than I 1st thought...

OK so who is gonna be first to get one???? (pre-order avilable may)
http://dfj-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=923
$1539 with free shipping?

John

Edited by mr-mac 2008-04-15 8:07 AM
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.328 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 21