x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

8Gb or more CompactFlash memory for Jornada 720?

[Frozen]
1 2
Frozen
Nimel Page Icon Posted 2008-02-05 12:14 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I´m a Brazilian university student and I just bought my first Jornada 720. I intend to use it mainly to read (as many ebooks and articles I can) and write in rtf for my papers, as well as use my yahoomail and gmail, google to find articles, and probably see photoshop presentations and jpg images.

I´ve heard about people using 8Gb or more at J720, but when I´ve searched the hardware compatibility web page at HPCFactor, there was no 8Gb CF compatible listed there.

Could anyone please tell me which 8Gb models are compatible with j720?
I´ve found a good samsung 4Gb, listed as compatible, but I would prefer a 8Gb one.

Oh, and I would really appreciate if someone point to me which programs would be better to install in the CF and which ones are better to install at the original device memory.

Thanks in advance,
Nivea
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2008-02-05 12:21 PM
#
H/PC Elite

8gb Samsung works. I reported the 16gb SANDISK and could very well have reported the Samsung 8gb, too, but didn't. I have tried 16, 8, 4, 2, 1gb as well as 512mb, 64mb, 32mb, 10mb, and have yet to find one that didn't work. BUT I found performance problems with some "no-name" brands, so I suggest you stick with the main stream mfgers.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2008-02-05 12:25 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I used mine for school with my printer( infrared ) to print my work out. Yahoo may be hard but Gmail (when I last used it) will work. Photoshop presentation..hmm pics may not come out they way you want it.

I used only up to 4 GB card , just getting back into the HPC scene. Others will chime in.
S/F<
CEYA!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-02-05 12:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The 720 can handle up to 32 GB:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/h/0012.asp

Edited by CE Geek 2008-02-05 12:53 PM
 Top of the page
Nimel Page Icon Posted 2008-02-05 1:58 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I used mine for school with my printer( infrared ) to print my work out. Yahoo may be hard but Gmail (when I last used it) will work. Photoshop presentation..hmm pics may not come out they way you want it.

I used only up to 4 GB card , just getting back into the HPC scene. Others will chime in.
S/F<
CEYA!

Oh, I beg your pardon . I was trying to say "powerpoint presentations" and not photoshop. Probably photoshop must be impossible with wince3.0.

8gb Samsung works. I reported the 16gb SANDISK and could very well have reported the Samsung 8gb, too, but didn't. I have tried 16, 8, 4, 2, 1gb as well as 512mb, 64mb, 32mb, 10mb, and have yet to find one that didn't work. BUT I found performance problems with some "no-name" brands, so I suggest you stick with the main stream mfgers.

Thank you all a lot for your kind answers. I was searching and found a 8 GB 133X Compact Flash Card by Transcend, but it´s listed at HPCF as not compatible with j720. Unfortunately I´m not as good to understand the reason of it by reading the page kindly posted by CE Geek.

So now I know that all samsung are compatible. Are there well known others? Thanks in advance.

Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2008-02-05 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I have an 8 GB Transcend 133X CF card that works with my NEC MobilePro 900, and with my Sig3, and with my Zaurus SL-6000L. Should also work with J720. I would be surprised if it did not.

Top of the page
Nimel Page Icon Posted 2008-02-07 5:29 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

theoak - 2008-02-05 5:21 PM

I have an 8 GB Transcend 133X CF card that works with my NEC MobilePro 900, and with my Sig3, and with my Zaurus SL-6000L. Should also work with J720. I would be surprised if it did not.

Wonderful! Does any of them has wince3.0? If one of them uses wince3.0, then it will work for my j720!
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2008-02-08 10:03 AM
#
H/PC Elite

they are formatted FAT or FAT32, depending on the size, so should be OS-independent.

There are now 32gb CF's on ebay, if you want to max out!!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-02-08 3:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Above 2 GB, they have to be formatted to FAT32 to be readable by the 720. (The tutorial I linked above mentions the 2 GB upper limit in FAT.)
 Top of the page
papouillenouille Page Icon Posted 2009-09-27 2:41 PM
#
Avatar image of papouillenouille
H/PC Newbie

I am looking for a way to make my Transcend 32GB 133x AND my Sandisk 16GB CF card to work on my Jornada 720/728...
Only 8GB are recognized
I first formatted the card with one partition of 32GB in FAT32, only the "first" 8GB are accessible :-(
I then formatted the card with 4 partitions: 8GB + 8GB + 8G + 6GB for the Transcend 32GB, nothing doing, only the first partition is recognized.

I also tried the EXDrive driver utility http://tjotala.com/archives/45/ but it did not work either.

Questions:
- is there a way to have all those different partitions displayed under Windows CE 3.0 HPC2000 like they are under Windows XP?
- how could I access the memory above 8GB?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-09-27 2:56 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Did you also edit the registry to call ExDrive.dll?

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13458&posts=27
 Top of the page
papouillenouille Page Icon Posted 2009-09-27 4:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thans CE Geek for your very quick response!
Actually, I saw there was a key that needed to be updated, I went to have a look and saw that on my device (a French Jornada 728), the key is called "PC-CARD_MANUFACTURER-PCMCIA_ATA/ATAPI_Adapter-4629" instead of "ATADisk" like sa1100 mentioned in his post.
Inside this key, the field seem to be pointing to the right data:
- FiendlyName: "CMS EasyMove"
- FSD: "FATFS.DLL"
- Ioctl: 0x00000004
- Prefix: "DSK"
- DLL: "ExDrive.dll"

Do you think I have to change the key name?

Thanks again for your precious support, I have namely been looking for months for a solution..

Cheers.
 Top of the page
papouillenouille Page Icon Posted 2009-09-27 4:23 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

What is the tool you use to format your card?
I have tried Partition Magic and Paragon on Windows XP, result ok but only the first 8GB are usable on the Jornada 7xx
I have also tried to let the Jornada 728 format the card upon insertion but here, I come across the 8G limit...

Cheers.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2009-09-27 4:40 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

So there's no key HKLM\Drivers\PCMCIA\ATADisk?
 Top of the page
papouillenouille Page Icon Posted 2009-09-27 5:38 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Oops, indeed, there is an "ATAdisk" entry in the registry... Sorry, I didn't pay attention.
So, I have updated it and all works like a charm.
File Explorer and CNETFlashFormat recognize the card as being 32GB.
Thank you soooo much CE Geek!
Bye.
 Top of the page
1 2
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 32