x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

GPS functionality- a call for details

1 2
cdh
cdh Page Icon Posted 2005-05-05 11:22 AM
#
In looking over the previous GPS threads on this site there is a lot of talk about software... and about hardware... but much of it is speculative. The people who have posted that they have working GPS configurations have never revealed their secrets to getting there. So far Garmap and Oziexplorer have had multiple mentions here and I've downloaded them and found they work on my MP780 and MP790. Now the next step is figuring out the GPS hardware. But, I'd like this thread to be more useful to people with other HPCs as well... So, I'd like to ask everybody who has a functioning GPS solution in the HPC form factor to please divulge the following:

HPC hardware:
HPC O/S:
GPS h/w manufacturer:
GPS h/w model number:
GPS h/w driver:
GPS/map software:
Map data source:
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-05-05 4:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

HPC hardware: Jornada 720
HPC O/S: HPC2000
GPS h/w manufacturer:
GPS h/w model number:
GPS h/w driver:
GPS/map software: MapSonic 1.3
Map data source:

Sorry for not fulfilling your expectations. I just entered what I personally tested. But I'd like to add a particular question:

Has someone tested the AmbiCom (unfortunately not on HCL) GPS card?
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-05-05 6:44 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Thanks for starting this thread. I was about to start one, myself. In the HCL, the only successfully tested entry seems to be the GlobalSat BC307 Xtrac CF on HPC2000. Surely others have found success? I have a J720, and I'd also add the question: what kind of battery system/life does your GPSr provide? If it's a CF-based card that runs off of the system battery, I can see it draining power rapidly. I'm considering some geocaching and it would be nice to have one unit that achieves multiple functions--hiking and road trips, both. Maybe I'm asking too much for an HPC-based GPS unit. I'd love to hear others' thoughts.

Thanks,
 Top of the page
woodnboats Page Icon Posted 2005-05-06 4:35 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Here's what works for me (talk about outdated technology Anybody interested in an Amiga 500?):

HPC hardware: HP 620lx upgraded to 660lx
HPC O/S: WINCE Pro (2.11 core)
GPS h/w manufacturer: DeLorme
GPS h/w model number: Tripmate connected to ActiveSync serial port through gender/bender and null modem
GPS h/w driver: ?
GPS/map software: SolusPro
Map data source: Street Atlas 8.0

Very slow initialization at first, and there is for some reason a 6 hour difference between the system time and the time shown on the initialization screen, which will not go away no matter what I do. But it seems to work OK anyway. I haven't tried it on the road for several years, and then it was just to play with it, so I'm not sure how well it will perform

Kirk Messinger
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 7:43 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Hi all.

GPS is a nightmare for the HCL unless you can physically test the things. The ones in the HCL and flagged asz Partial compatibility will all work with the H/PC, BUT as stated in the notes it all depends on the mapping software being available for your Platform.

Good thinking on the thread, and I will keep my eye on it and update the HCL with your knowlege and experiences, hopefully we can make it less confusing.

Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 8:14 AM
#
H/PC Elite

The GlobalSat BC307 Xtrac CF definetly works I tested it, .

As for my setup,

HPC hardware: HP Jornada 720
GPS h/w manufacturer: GlobalSat
GPS h/w model number: BC307 Xtrac CF
GPS h/w driver: From Mapping software
GPS/map software: OziExplorer
Map data source: OziExplorer Desktop version.

Nick
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 11:57 AM
#
This might be a bit off topic but theres a GPS program thats fairly popular in Malaysia/Singapore that uses Garmin type maps. Its called Pocket Mapviewer and the developer has a version for HPC 2000. You can have a look at the following site...

http://pocketmv.homeip.net/

A review of the software and a comparison can be found here:-

http://www.palmx.org/detailnews.asp?id=119

I've not used it myself, I just don't have the hardware for it yet.
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 6:21 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

My contibution:

HPC hardware: HP720
GPS h/w manufacturer: HAICOM
GPS h/w model number: Hi303S, HI303E, HI300MMF All are Compact Flash.
GPS h/w driver: No need drivers. Only choose the COM port.
GPS/map software: Mapsonic v1.3, Teletype, OZIExplorerCE
Map data source

An other excellent solution is the SOCKET BLUETOOTH CF. Works perfet in a HP720. Then you can use all the GPS Bluetooth.
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 6:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

GPS h/w manufacturer:
GPS h/w model number: SysOn GPS CF
Map data source

GPS h/w manufacturer:
GPS h/w model number: GPS Globalsat BC-307 compact flash
Map data source

GPS h/w manufacturer:
GPS h/w model number: Pretec CompactGPS
Map data source

Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 9:40 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

HCL updated, most of these were in there anyway.

Good thread.
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 4:03 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hpcpro, can we assume that (virtually) any of GPS cards works on a HPC because it just uses a (built-in) COM driver? Are there any known exceptions?
 Top of the page
hpcpro Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 4:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

A GPS Compact Flash card are dessigned specially for PocketPC and use the port COM. We use a navigation software, not a driver. This software open the COM port and only receive information from the CF.
Others Compact Flash card as a FM CF card, a Wifi CF card, or any others requires a specific drivers because it has a exchange with the cards, send and receive.
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-05-11 4:58 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I have a Magellan Trailblazer XL with standard NMEA interface. Do you think iz could work? Is Joranada's serial interface a normal one? Has anybody tried to connect Jornada to a normal GPS using the cable?

If you think that it could work I can try to test it. But first I need to make a connector for Trailblazer because it is more or less impossible buy it
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-06-05 12:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

hpcpro - 2005-05-08 10:42 PM

A GPS Compact Flash card are dessigned specially for PocketPC and use the port COM. We use a navigation software, not a driver. This software open the COM port and only receive information from the CF.
Others Compact Flash card as a FM CF card, a Wifi CF card, or any others requires a specific drivers because it has a exchange with the cards, send and receive.

I have got a XAiOX Wonde-XL Bluetooth GPS receiver. In the manual for the GPS receiver it is written that the Outbound port must be COM8 - an example is shown for a PPC2003, TomTom. Is there a special reason for that? What port are you using with OziExplorer? Inbound or Outbound? Since the GPS is passive, I assume that the Outbound port must be used.

My Bluetooth card installation assigned me COM8 as the Inbound port and COM7 as the Outbound port. OziExplorer only allows me select between COM7 and COM8 BT ports. If I select COM8 (Inbound) after couple of seconds I get a message that no GPS data was sent. If I select COM7 (Outbound), Jornada 720 freezes Of course, in both cases the result is equal or close to zero

I know how to edit the registry to set Inbound to e.g. 5 and Outbound to e.g. 8 but OziExplorer is still offering me ports 7 and 8 as a choice, so I am not sure that i have done the correct thing.

Any idea?
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-06-05 2:43 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

False alarm Now it works. When I chose the Outbound port, Jornada did not really freeze but was just trying to open the port. I should have waited a bit longer - and I would have not missed the tip.

The problem was in the manual. It says that the connection rate is 9600. Same message on the box! When I set to 4800 it started working - that simple!

So my contribution to the original quiestion:

GPS h/w manufacturer: XAiOX
GPS h/w model number: Wonde-XL: Bluetooth GPS Receiver
GPS h/w driver: No need for drivers. COM port.
GPS/map software: OziExplorerCE (demo)
Map data source: OziExplorer - demo

Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 12