x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

1GB San disk card does not work in Jornada 720

1 2
Jason
Jason Page Icon Posted 2005-05-06 3:25 PM
#
Bought myself a san Disk 6 in 1 PC card adaptor, and have been having issues getting my 1 GB san disk SD card to read in my Jornada 720. The system asks to format the card everytime I insert it. Its odd because my cameras 64MB SD card works just fine.

Jason
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-06 3:53 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Have you tried formatting it on the Jornada? Remember to back up any data on the card before formatting! What happens if you just cancel the request to format the card, does it show up as storage card in explorer on the HPC?
 Top of the page
Jason
Jason Page Icon Posted 2005-05-06 9:43 PM
#
The card shows but as a blank volume with nothing in it. This SD card opens in a PC laptop just fine. I wont reformat the card since its used as a drive on a PDA.

Jason
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-06 9:59 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

If you back it up on your PC you will not need to worry about the reformat. It seems as though you may need to format it with your device before you can use it. It may seem weird to ask, but have you used it with another PDA? Does it actually have anything on it? If the 720 won’t recognize it you may not be able use it until it is formatted.

Edited by Yoldering 2005-05-06 10:00 PM
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 1:15 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The card wasn't formatted as an NTFS volume on the laptop was it? Are you sure it is a FAT volume? I agree with Yoldering, the best thing to try is backing up anything on the card and try formatting it on the Jornada and then see if it works OK. I assume the other PDA is a Pocket PC?

You say that the card shows up as an empty volume, but can you check the properties to see if it shows it's capacity? It also may be a good idea to try using a third party utility like Flash Format or Storage Tools on the Jornada to check to see what details they can find about the card.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 5:10 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I use a Sandisk 1 gb in my 720 without problem and no formatting. I wonder if the problem may not be the adapter. Have you tried dropping the CF in the bottom of the machine rather than in its PCMCIA slot (which makes you use the adapter)?

Jake
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 5:44 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I think Jason was referring to a 1GB SD card and NOT a Compact Flash. The adapter is therefore required. Although it could of course be that the Jornada doesn't like that particular type of adapter. I once had one of those 3-in-1 adapters that could accept any one of MS/SD/MMC and it worked fine on a laptop but not on my Intermec 6651. Another adapter I tried DID work ok on the HPC. So you never no.....
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-05-07 8:32 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Yes, my mistake. I'm so used to working with CF cards that I made the wrong assumption. I had no idea that SD cards even came that big. Sorry about that.

Jake
 Top of the page
Jason
Jason Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 2:53 AM
#
Okay here is the problem

1) The 1 GB SanDisk card opens just fine in a PC laptop but it does not open in the Jornada 720 and must be formatted or whatever. It asks for this everytime I insert it.
2) My digital cameras 64MB SD card works just fine in the Jornada 720 as the card opens just fine
3) The 1 GB SD card is used a PDA (palm OS to be exact) and has much music, mpg movies, graphics, and other stuff. The laptop can read the card using the adaptor but the Jornada cannot.

The adaptop is a SanDisk 6 in 1 PC card adaptor.

Jason
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 3:16 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Jason, I'm afraid you will need to answer some of the previous questions before anybody can help. For any of the recommended solutions you will definately need to back up the contents of card to a desktop/laptop first.

Now, when it asks you to format the card on the Jornada do you just keep saying no or have you tried allowing the Jornada to format it?

Are you sure the card is formatted as a FAT volume?

Obviously the Palm OS uses a different filing structure to Windows CE but you SHOULD still be able to use the card in both devices. Either device should just ignore (or show as 'unknown' file type icons) any files not relevant to the device in use.

If you back up everything on the card, format on a desktop PC using FAT file system, test it is OK in the Jornada, then copy back all the files from the desktop onto the card it should then work in both the Jornada and the Palm
 Top of the page
Jason
Jason Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 5:20 PM
#
<<Now, when it asks you to format the card on the Jornada do you just keep saying no or have you tried allowing the Jornada to format it?>>

I say no and I have not allowed the Jornada to format it. The card is a FAT volume.

<<Are you sure the card is formatted as a FAT volume?>

The card was formatted with the Palm OS 5.2.8 os. It works just fine in a laptop, and claims to be a FAT volume.

<<Obviously the Palm OS uses a different filing structure to Windows CE but you SHOULD still be able to use the card in both devices. Either device should just ignore (or show as 'unknown' file type icons) any files not relevant to the device in use.

If you back up everything on the card, format on a desktop PC using FAT file system, test it is OK in the Jornada, then copy back all the files from the desktop onto the card it should then work in both the Jornada and the Palm
>>

Why do I need to go through this? What if it does not work? I cannot understand why the card works just fine in the laptop and claims to be a FAT volume.

Jason
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 5:45 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Generally you shouldn't have to go through this and I know it's a pain but it's probably the only way you're going to find out if the card in the adapter will work on the Jornada. The fact that you first formatted the card on a Palm OS device may hold the key to the problem. If you back up everything on the card and then format it on the Jornada and it still doesn't work, you can then put all the files back onto the card and it will still be OK with your Palm. If you backup the entire card, you have nothing to lose doing this. From your previous posts it seems that in its current state the card will not read correctly at all on the Jornada.

Unfortunately you now need to follow the solution as posted here or go without the 1GB card on the Jornada!
 Top of the page
Jason
Jason Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 7:07 PM
#
Okay I will try it, but answer this. What if I format the card on the Jornada, and it does not work, but then my Palm cant recognize all the files or something goes wrong? Or besides I have no disk cloning software on my PC (or is one not needed)? Typicially its wise to clone a disk to get a exact copy, but then again the Palm only reads the files, so such a clone will not be necessary.

Jason
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-09 2:14 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

OK Jason, here's what to do;

1) Insert the card into the laptop using a card reader
2) Open the card contents (E: or whatever drive name it appears as) in explorer
3) Change the folder view to show all files (including hidden files)
4) You should now see all the files on the card

If you notice any missing files at this point, make sure you have followed step 3. If some files you have on the card still don't show you may need to run scandisk on the card to fix any errors (probably a good idea anyway)

5) Select all the files (Ctrl + A on the keyboard)
6) Now create a new empty folder on your desktop and call it BACKUP
7) Paste (Ctrl + V) all the files into the new folder you just created
8) Verify that the contents match those on the card EXACTLY
9) Assuming 8) is true, close all the open folders
10) Right click on the card in explorer and select fomrat from the menu
11) Windows will ask to confirm - just select 'Yes'
12) Check that the format option is FAT
13) Proceed with the format
14) If no errors are reported, you should be left with a newly formatted card showing the full capacity (right click on the card and select 'properties' to verify)
15) Now put the SD card in the adapter and insert into the Jornada

Now you will see if the card will work in the Jornada or not. If yes, you can connect the card to the laptop again and copy all the files back onto the card and then test it still works on the Jornada and on the Palm. Test that it works OK on both devices.

If the card still won't work on the Jornada then you can connect the card to the laptop again, copy all the files back and it should still work OK on the Palm.

Let us know how you get on
 Top of the page
Jason
Jason Page Icon Posted 2005-05-09 1:34 PM
#
Thank you. Unfortunately I just forget that my PC laptop has run out of disk space down to 300 MB's (only a 4 GB drive). The Card has at least 500MB in it so this is a problem. Hey 4GB is not bad for a 99 laptop. My roomate is using a 486 with a 220MB drive! But then again he's running Windows 3.11 and I Windows 98.

I tried your trick on my Mac, but unfortunately I keep on getting a file write error or something everytime I try the manual copy. I can create a disk image, but unfortunately my Mac is down to 600-800MB's (6 GB drive). Apple disk copy clones the entire drive. I could go buy ShrinkWrap which only clones the used space on a drive in a disk image, but that costs me about $30 unfortunately. Otherwise it would work if I had ShrinkWrap in my present situation, or a larger drive in another scanario.

Looks like I am out of luck. I think I am going to return the adaptor back to Best Buy and just miss out on the idea of using it on my Jornada. But there is one thing you could help me on. How can I transfer photos back and forth between Jornada and Palm via IR? I basicially bought the adaptor as a way for Palm and Jornada to swend files back and forth. But if IR will work, that would be the best.

Thank you,

Jason
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9