x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

H-Bomb, Good News/Bad News

lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 1:45 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

For anybody that's interested, I've just heard news that MobileCubed, who offer M3cro and H-Bomb (amongst others) for the HPC are to stop all new development and H-Bomb will no longer be available to purchase from Handango, etc.

The good news is that the intention may be to release H-Bomb as freeware so it should still be available to download (full version) in a the near future.
I have posted the email I received from Julio of MobileCubed below;

"Hello,

I'm afraid I won't be able to do this. I haven't had
the time nor is it really worth it, for a number of
reasons. I will be de-commissioning H-Bomb (and
closing down Mobilecubed, actually) in a few weeks. I
may be releasing H-Bomb for HPCs as freeware, so I
would say get a refund through Handango and wait, if
you'd like, for the freeware version. I will be
disabling the Handango purchase links in the next few
days.

All the best,
Julio"

Incidentally, Julio is responding to my request for a version of H-Bomb compatible with a 800x600 display as the standard HPC2000 (MIPS) version only works in 'letter box' mode on my Telios. If anybody knows of another HTML editor for the HPC that will work full screen please post a reply here!
 Top of the page
BruceHungerford
BruceHungerford Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 2:56 AM
#
I use BSQUARE's bUSEFUL HTML Editor on my MobilePro 890 (an 880 upgraded to HPC2000). It works fine on the 800 x 600 screen, and I would recommend it. That having been said, getting a copy may be difficult since BSQUARE no longer sells it -- I got mine off of eBay.

Hope this helps.

Bruce
MP890 Evangelist
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 3:21 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. It seems the ever elusive BSquare software had a lot of things going for it. I once tried the demo version of the Utilities Pack (version 2 I think) and I loved some of the apps but of course once the thirty days were up......

I think you were probably lucky to find a copy on eBay
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 9:48 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

grrr I didn't want this announced yet.

Julio is a good friend of mine, I am trying to a) maintain distribution of H-Bomb under the new licensing terms from HPC:Factor and b) trying to get the source code moved to GPL.

Having prempted the announcement that MobileCubed will be closing down, I guess all I can say is Please, Please, Please send your support of this idea to Julio, we don't want to loose another developer, and he's a very kind, grat to know person.
 Top of the page
lextre Page Icon Posted 2005-05-08 9:56 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Oooppss! Sorry C:Amie, I only mentioned it so other potential users didn't buy it from Handango (like I did a couple of days ago ) only to find that it won't work full screen on a 800x600 display.

I will however voice my support here for continued development of the software, assuming Julio is prepared to offer the source code to HPC Factor. I would love to see a fully working 800x600 version too
 Top of the page
JulioAngelOrtiz Page Icon Posted 2005-05-17 2:07 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I thought I'd chime in real quick. I plan on releasing H-Bomb for HPC as freeware to the community sometime in the next few weeks. I need to get with Chris and work out the details. I might even throw out an "old" retired app for HPC, called ListNotes, as well. I also plan to put out a zipped version of my old 600 Spot site (covering HP 620LX/660LX/680/690) HPCs through HPC Factor, if Chris is agreeable.

As for source code... well, that's a trickier question.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-17 2:17 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Nice to see you on the board my friend.

I did email you back on this a couple of weeks ago, haven't heard back since.

Anything we can do, you know that.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-17 4:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

JulioAngelOrtiz,

WOW,

that IS really nice of you. if only every developer were like you then hpc users' life would be easier not having to deal with abandonware that's still shareware.

Top of the page
JulioAngelOrtiz Page Icon Posted 2005-05-17 5:19 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Cmonex, thank you for the kind words.

I can understand the abandonware thing- there are some great apps that aren't available anymore (CSI Project, Bsquare Utilities) that *should* be. I figured I'd leave H-Bomb behind as something that people could still use.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2005-05-17 5:22 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Julio...

You might start a precedent here in the HPC world. Imagine a software graveyard where users could go to get great programs that are no longer marketed or supported.

You release your software to the general community and you'll restore my faith in humanity.

And it's not necessary to release your source code...after all it was your creation and is copyrighted...and who knows, there might be an resurgency of HPCs someday...yeah right...

I remember when HUM was released...I have great respect for them too....now if we could only get Ilium on the bandwagon....

Rich
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-05-17 9:36 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks Julio! I am sorry you are stopping all new development of the HPC software though. But to make it available to us still, that is great!!! That is so cool!!!
 Top of the page
Cindy
Cindy Page Icon Posted 2005-05-18 4:37 PM
#
lextre - 2005-05-08 3:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Bob. It seems the ever elusive BSquare software had a lot of things going for it. I once tried the demo version of the Utilities Pack (version 2 I think) and I loved some of the apps but of course once the thirty days were up......

I think you were probably lucky to find a copy on eBay

Bruce - I also use BSQUARE's bUSEFUL HTML Editor - excellent software. And yes, Lextre, bSquare did have a lot going for it - with unparalleled support I may add. It's unfortunate that they've opted out of the user market.
 Top of the page
JulioAngelOrtiz Page Icon Posted 2005-05-20 11:52 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Chris,

Check your email inbox.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10