x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

have bricked 900c? your 900c suddenly won't power on anymore? here's a solution

1 2 3 4
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-06-30 8:46 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh, how did you brick the units? that may be useful to know. if it is a hardware fault that's the problem

also, did you install the ioperm? that IS a critical step

yes you can use that connector if you want to build a cable for that specifically. I think I gave pinout for that too, let me know if you cannot find it
 Top of the page
urbex Page Icon Posted 2009-06-30 5:29 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Bricked it while trying to get Linux on it a few years ago. It's been sitting in pieces in a box since, so it's entirely possible that something on the board may have fried in that time as well. Just would suck to trashcan a mobo only to find out later on that it was just because I used the wrong diodes, lol. It's a bit of a drive to the nearest electronics parts store for me, otherwise I would have bought the proper diodes to begin with.

Yep, I did install ioperm, and issued the ioperm -i command before starting jtag

I have the pinout for the connector, but what I was hoping for was to be able to find the female connector half to build the cable out of, rather than repeatedly soldering/unsoldering the wires, since I'm already starting to pull contact pads up. I'm pretty sure this is a molex connector, and I'll be sitting down with my connector data sheets tonight to see if I can match something up. I didn't see any references to part numbers for that connector, but figured I'd least ask just in case it turned out that I missed something.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2009-09-01 3:52 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

did you find any match?
 Top of the page
afweismann Page Icon Posted 2024-04-04 3:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Shot in the dark posting on a 15 year old thread - does anyone have the images for building the jtag cable and attaching it to the MobilePro? I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to and have need (really want) to resurrect my MobilePro 900 that just bricked itself because why not.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-04-04 3:33 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

What happened leading up to it being bricked? Did you try to do an update, or did it just randomly happen?
 Top of the page
afweismann Page Icon Posted 2024-04-05 4:24 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Randomly happened. It worked one day, I put it on my display shelf, tried booting it about a month later and nothing.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2024-04-05 5:52 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

afweismann - 2024-04-05 8:24 AM

Randomly happened. It worked one day, I put it on my display shelf, tried booting it about a month later and nothing.

I can help you troubleshoot this. Your MP900 runs WinCE 3.0 which you really want to upgrade to Cmonex 4.2 ROM anyway IMO.

1. Remove main and backup batteries, disconnect from power cord (12v)

2. Press down on 'C' and 'F' keys simultaneously (as in "CF card" )

3. While holding CF keys down, plug in power cord and wait, then release keys after a few seconds.

4. The MP Logo screen should appear (in Bios mode) and will search for the CF card to locate the Bootloader. (You don't need a CF card in the slot at this point we're troubleshooting not upgrading ROM).

Let me know if you can get this far... if you can it's not likely bricked. A easy upgrade should be possible if a small cf card is available. More later.

you might find this link helpful : https://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20152&posts=56&start=1

Best regards,
Joval

Edited by joval 2024-04-05 5:57 PM
 Top of the page
afweismann Page Icon Posted 2024-04-05 10:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you Joval! Unfortunately I tried both the C+F and R+F methods to enter the bootloader, to no avail.
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2024-04-07 7:47 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Does the green/orange charging light come on when power cord plugged in??.......suggest remove batteries and power, plug in earphones then plug in power cord... do you hear any clicks or sounds?Is your power supply/charger dead? check its output with multimeter... if faulty won't charge dead battery or power up unit, understand?.................................. Joval on his MP900c/CmonexRom4.2/ethernet2wifi/WRP !!! !

Edited by joval 2024-04-07 8:07 PM
 Top of the page
afweismann Page Icon Posted 2024-04-08 1:21 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

No lights whatsoever. I hadn't even thought to plug in headphones to see if there was static when it's powered. I'll have to do that at work...unfortunately my headsets at home are all wireless, which is an oddly frustrating problem to have.

I did use a multimeter to test it and I was able to find voltage across the device. I don't know what voltages should appear where, but confirmed that the battery was receiving 7 volts and may have found a couple 5v lines? Now that I'm typing this out, I probably could have looked up some of the chips to see if there's a schematic for them and validated the correct voltages on the correct pins. I might try doing that next time I have the thing apart.
 Top of the page
torch Page Icon Posted 2024-04-08 1:22 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Have you tried a hard reset ?
Sorry the formatting came out weird copying from manual
original shipping configuration. All data and applications are erased from RAM.All open/unsaved files are lost and all user specific data such as contacts andtasks are erased.You can only restore data that has been backed up to your host PC.If a hard reset is necessary, use the following procedures to perform the reset:Save your data, turn off unit power, and close the display panel.1.Disconnect any cable attached to the unit, such as the AC adapter and PCconnect cables.Remove the installed main battery pack (see "Replacing the Main2.Battery" in Chapter 2 of the NEC MobilePro 900c User's Guide).Remove the backup battery (see "Replacing the Backup Battery" in3.Appendix A of the NEC MobilePro 900c User's Guide).Wait a full minute after removing the backup battery. Then reinstall the4.backup battery (see "Replacing the Backup Battery" in Appendix A of theNEC MobilePro 900c User's Guide).before you reinstall the backup battery.Replace the main battery pack (see "Replacing the Main Battery" in5.Chapter 2 of the NEC MobilePro 900c User's Guide).Open the display panel and power on the MobilePro 900c.6.NoteIf the system does not power on after reinstalling the batteries, waitfive seconds and then press the power button again.Copying FilesWhen copying a file to or from a CompactFlash™ C
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2024-04-08 12:39 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

No lights ... again, have you checked the voltage output of your charger/power supply? Should be 12 volts. I suggest you try another 12 volt power supply. Also, I have a couple MP900 in which the charging port/jack is defective, need to jiggle it to connect, etc. Re: 7 volts ... is that with battery in place or on power charger... sounds too low. Please reassure me your power supply is functioning properly as it could account for all your symptoms. Thanks in advance.
 Top of the page
afweismann Page Icon Posted 2024-04-09 7:37 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Torch and joval, you both are awesome to help as much as you are. Thank you both!

Torch, yes, I tried a hard reset. I actually try to get it to boot once per day and then unplug it and leave it on my desk overnight with the vaguest hope that maybe it will work.

Joval, I'm using an official NEC power supply that I received with a 900C that I purchased. It works and is outputting 12v. The 900C has a defective jack and requires some jiggling--going to open that unit up to fix it (and per your suggestion, I upgraded to cmonex 4.2--amazing).

With the battery out and on the charger, I'm detecting 7 volts on the positive and negative battery rails (and just checked that again now).
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2024-04-21 3:28 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

I'm not certain what you mean by rail voltage but if 7 volts shows on the battery charge it is way too low,
and not charging. Two lithium ion batteries each charge to 4.2 volts, so in series 8.4 volts maximum on battery terminals. So 7 volts means battery not charging. If you can charge the battery another way and then insert it to boot, or alternatively apply about 8 volts to the battery socket leads (watch polarity is correct) it may well boot up indicating major fault in charge circuit or power supply .........joval from a J720/ethernet2wifi/WRP proxy combo

Edited by joval 2024-04-21 4:13 PM
 Top of the page
joval Page Icon Posted 2024-04-21 4:01 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Battery voltage output, note positive terminal on the notched protrusion side. Proper max working charge in range 8.4-8.2. MP900 turns off (when battery "dead" so to speak) at 7.7-7.6 volts. Just tested this as shown...

Need I say more??

Best regards

Edited by joval 2024-04-21 5:52 PM

(MP900Batteryvoltage.jpg)

(MP900(dead)Battery.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MP900Batteryvoltage.jpg (133KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments MP900(dead)Battery.jpg (162KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 12