x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

USB to Serial Cable working on 900c

cecrowder
cecrowder Page Icon Posted 2008-03-21 11:26 AM
#
For those who are unable to get a serial cable, I have found that it is possible to get a USB to Serial cable to work on the MP900c. A cable that uses the Prolific PL-2303 USB chip, can use the following driver without modification in most circumstances:

http://www.navpoint.de/images/Freeware/treiber_usb_ce.zip

Simply copy the driver to the 900c and tap on the USBSER.ARM cab file to install the driver. It will say that it is not compatible, simply click install anyway and then do a soft reset. plug in the cable and you are off.

For those cables that use the PL-2303 chip but have a modified VID & PID, follow the instructions below:

A pure generic Prolific 2303 chip cable will also provide the OEM drivers.

An INF file would contain the string:-
VID_067B&PID_2303
where: 067B is the ID for PROLIFIC
and 2303 is (the device ID for the USB-serial chip)

x067B and x2303 translate to (DECIMAL) 1659 and 8963 (this is imprtant! see later :-) )

IF YOUR CABLE CAME SUPPLIED WITH DRIVERS THAT HAVE THIS CODE THEN the manufacturer has retained the OEM ID code in the cable and it should work fine.

If you have an ATEN style cable (UC232A) then your INF files for, say, Windows 2K, will have a string like:-

Vid_0557&Pid_2008

where:-
0557 is the hex ID for ATEN manufacturer. (DEC value 1367)
2008 is the hex value for the device (DEC value 8200)

If your supplied drivers with the cable are neither, thats fine, will sort this one out :-) Just note down the strings similar to above.

To make the driver recognise the non-OEM cable (like the ATEN)we need to change just one keyname in the registry, after installing the USBSER cab the first time.

You need:-
A registry editor for Win CE like PHM Registry Editor

Search for the keyname:-
1659_8963 (this is the DEC values for the generic Prolific drivers as above)

Which is in HKLM\Drivers\USB\LoadClients

RENAME this key (click and hold) to 1367_8200

When you plug in the ATEN cable WIN CE searches the registry for the matching ID and then knows what driver to use.

That's it! Reset the computer and WIN CE wont complain about your cable again. It reads the cable chip, looks for matching the DEC'ed value in the registry and uses that driver.

To verify the device is working plug it in and run the port check and test programs.

Hope this helps!
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-03-21 12:01 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Hm, I once struggled to use a driver from Prolific to drive Pharos/Microsoft USB-to-serial cable for GPS, but failed. I did change VID and PID to the correct ones found on a Win2K machine. It's probably worth another try for people who are interested in using Pharos GPS with a USB connection with MobilePro 900C. Now, I use GPS on my Dell X51v that's much lighter and smaller.

Edited by CAuser 2008-03-21 12:02 PM
 Top of the page
cecrowder
cecrowder Page Icon Posted 2008-03-22 7:14 PM
#
It is possible that the chip used for the USB connection is a different one. I have a driver for the FTDI chip that I can send you if you want.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-03-22 7:55 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes please post all drivers you got.
 Top of the page
cecrowder
cecrowder Page Icon Posted 2008-03-23 2:32 AM
#
Per your request, I have created a public folder on my SkyDrive site that contains all the USB chip drivers I located in my search for a way to get my USB to Serial cable working. It is located at:

http://cid-66ccee17d4e02832.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/USB%20Drivers

I hope that this helps.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-03-23 4:57 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

thanks
 Top of the page
cindy
cindy Page Icon Posted 2008-05-27 5:38 AM
#
Hi.

Where can I find in registry the virtual com port information for the PL-2303 cable?

Thanks,

Cindy
 Top of the page
mr_skater99 Page Icon Posted 2008-08-18 7:39 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks cecrowder.

Edited by mr_skater99 2008-08-18 7:41 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.207 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 13