x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Help! How do you use the VGA card?

greg_graham Page Icon Posted 2008-04-18 3:57 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I just bought an HP VGA out card (F1252). It displays an HP logo when I turn on my Jornada, so the card, cable and monitor appear to be working... but I can't figure out how to give a presentation.

There seems to be a system tray icon that toggles on the reproduces of the Jornada's LCD dislay on the external VGA display (top half), but I can't get a PowerPoint slide showing with the entire screen.

I must be doing something bone-headed. The manual shows how to "Set up a slide presentation" and select the VGA display, but it isn't working for me.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, G.
 Top of the page
Z.D.E.T. Page Icon Posted 2008-04-18 4:51 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Is there an application or a driver that needs to be installed?
 Top of the page
greg_graham Page Icon Posted 2008-04-23 11:53 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

The VGA driver software is built into the Jornada 720. Two icons appear in the system tray; one is for video settings (resolution, refresh rate, test) and I'm not quite sure what the other does -- it seems to toggle the VGA card on and off.

Driver software is required for previous CE2 models.

In Pocket Powerpoint, you must select the card for "Slide Show settings" (the other choice is the internal LCD) and then use "View Show". It doesn't seem to work otherwise.

The refresh rate is faster than my Colorgraphic card on my Psion Series 7 was (it was slowwwww!), but colour rendition is not very accurate. I wouldn't use this setup for a presentation until I figure out how to improve this. Simply converting my Powerpoint presentations via ActiveSync does not produce an adequate quality that could be shown to clients. I'm thinking that I might need to produce slides with limited colour choices if I want to use it for business use.

Does anyone know where to find a manual for the HP VGA card (part F1252A)? The information in the J720 User Guide doesn't even cover as much as I've written here!

Moderator, maybe we could start a VGA users thread or support page? How to use the the VGA card, and suggested techniques for PowerPoint?

Thanks! Best regards, Greg.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-04-23 3:49 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Looks like you've done that already right here.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2008-04-24 12:55 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I have all original boxes and manual in 6 languages, but only about 8 pages for each language. It covers these topics (and scant at that):

-Installing the Display Driver
-Using the VGA-out PC Card
-Modifying Display Settings
-Notes on Resolution and Refresh Rates
-Using the 1024x768 color mode (US and Canada only)
-Using HP Screen view
-Removing the Card
-Uninstalling the Driver (for those who installed it from floppy)
-Important Notes on Power
-Other Hints and Tips
-Electrostatic Discharge Warning

It would not be appropriate for me to post the pages here, since it is copyrighted, but if you want selective views, please PM me.

I tried playing movies using this at 640x240 and the refresh is ...very slow.

I have been out of main stream-corporate for 6 yrs, so haven't had the opportunity to do "real work" using the VGA card...just putsing.

I posted a similar thread a few weeks back looking for other aps that can use the VGA, but got no answer. Maybe this thread will spark some response.

Edited by Hal 2008-04-24 1:00 PM
 Top of the page
greg_graham Page Icon Posted 2008-04-28 2:14 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi Hal;

Thanks for your post -- I will let you know what my results are as I continue to try to figure out how to make use of this VGA card. I had the same results with my spare 720 as well. I'm sure that HP would not have released the product if it was total crap!

All the best, Greg.
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2008-04-30 4:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Greg,

Happy to help. I need to try some of the different monitor sync rates and see if the movies can look less like a slide show.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-01 1:13 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i doubt this was made for movie watching.. presentations are just slides
 Top of the page
Hal Page Icon Posted 2008-05-01 10:55 PM
#
H/PC Elite

yes, good point.
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2009-12-31 3:03 PM
#
I have an HP VGA card (F1252A) for my Jornada 720, with the same problem that started this thread... Strangely, the thread never seemed to answered the question.

The VGA card startup page and test display both will show full screen on a VGA display. However, all programs running on the 720 only show as half screen (640x240) on the VGA monitor (just as shown on the 720 screen).

Can the 720 produce a 640x480 output through the VGA card?
If so, how does one activate this mode?

Thanks
 Top of the page
Dave Wurm Page Icon Posted 2010-01-03 1:58 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

The above message was submitted as a guest, because my forum registration evaporated somehow. Now that I'm official again, I'm still wondering how to display 640x480 through the VGA adaptor with a J720.
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2010-01-03 1:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi Dave,

I had a similar problem with Voyager VGA card. I assume there should be a setting that allows you to switch from 640x240 to 640x480. Otherwise there wouldn't be much point in presenting minuature slides now would it. I'll try to google a bit for ya.

Cheers,
Bojan
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 13