x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

rom dump - custom roms for bsquare powerhandheld (maui)

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
guaike Page Icon Posted 2008-05-11 7:49 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Great job!
I have two different firmware versions of bsquare,I will try your rom dump program.
I will always concerned about this post!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-12 9:12 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

guaike - 2008-05-12 1:49 AM

Great job!
I have two different firmware versions of bsquare,I will try your rom dump program.
I will always concerned about this post!

hey guaike, this is very interesting, can you list your firmware versions?

i've never managed to get my hands on a different one!

and right now, it would be immensely useful as I could compare the headers, those 8 bytes that I'm not sure about.

if you can upload both dumps to rapidshare.com that's best

p.s.: my program assumes the flash is 64MB, of which ~32 is the OS partition (the morons put all in the binary partition ). it assumes there are 1000 blocks to dump- but I remember there was a bsquare version that was 32MB rom total (and 64MB ram) though I've never seen one of those.

Edited by cmonex 2008-05-12 9:14 AM
 Top of the page
guaike Page Icon Posted 2008-05-12 10:33 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hey cmonex!
actually,A few days ago I contacted you on msn,thank you ,Thank you for your patience to answer my question on msn,
and i told you i have 2 bsquare and witch one can't power on, then You told me how to buy the appropriate size of the battery,now it work fine.hehe,and i found
this one firmware
version:1.10.3320
Build Date:Nov 16 2003
Radio Fireware:GPRS D2.9.6.0 18DB
PIC Fireware:1.28.12

Another:
version:1.52.4041
Build Date:Feb 10 2004
Radio Fireware:GPRS D2.9.6.0 18DB
PIC Fireware:1.28.15

Edited by guaike 2008-05-12 11:00 AM
 Top of the page
guaike Page Icon Posted 2008-05-12 10:50 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

btw:Both memory are the same,128 MB of RAM,64 MB of flash memory, among 32 MB of internal storage.
I never found msn for wince on old version one,

if i dumped rom file,i will send to you,For wince system I was a novice,i don't know how to add or remove bytes.
so i direct send files to you or you tell me using some tools to do.

Top of the page
guaike Page Icon Posted 2008-05-12 12:55 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I had uploaded the dumped rom File of fireware 2003 vesion :
bsqromdump_2003.part1
bsqromdump_2003.part2
bsqromdump_2003.part3

if dowanload,may be you need login rapidshare.com first.

Edited by guaike 2008-05-12 12:58 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-12 6:21 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey, yeah I remember you from msn
glad you got the device running with the new battery.

I downloaded the dump, it's proven really useful, after a filecompare to the newer (and much more common) firmware version I know 4 bytes are timestamp. the other bytes seem static, so probably can be left as is.

so thanks lots for this dump

yes I heard this firmware has no MSN in it, hopefully we can soon update your bsquare to the newer firmware... and after that, custom roms
or I can get the MSN files for you from rom dump of newer fw, but I need to recreate the msn dll's.

on another note... i got a bsquare today solely for the flashing experiments but it turns out the display (slightly cracked lcd) is more screwed than I thought (I was told you could still see an image on it), so that's useless, for now. can't see image while flashing from SD so wouldn't know if it succeeded at all. unless I can get usb download working from platform builder

Edited by cmonex 2008-05-12 6:48 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-17 3:13 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

small status update

I've done more disassembly and reverse engineering of the relevant parts in bootloader

i will list information here for the following reason: document it publicly so I can always look it up later, and others can jump in the discussion too if they want to. I'd really appreciate that

it will be very technical , but I'll do a summary too.. and if you think I'm wrong about something then let me know.

basic facts:

the bsquare powerhandheld (maui) firmware consists of four parts and those are stored on the nand flash, called DOC, diskonchip from now on...
the DOC has two partitions, the binary partition (BIPO) has the second and third bootloader and the OS (very unusual that it has the OS, WM devices never do, so this is why pdocread doesn't really see it). and the internal disk that is user accessible. BIPO is 1000 blocks, blocksize is 0x8000, 32K (sadly when trying to query size of BIPO using the block size information with pdocread we only got 1 block back).

now the firmware parts.
1. 4K IPL stored in a special part of the DOC (*not* at block 0), loads to 0x0 in internal RAM on boot and does nothing except load the second bootloader. (also copies itself to 0xA0000000 at RAM start and continues execution from there before loading second bootloader)
2. second bootloader: DOCSPL.NB0, raw image stored in 0th block of DOC (0x0 in flash), 32K size (just the size of one block). gets loaded at 0xA0001400 and all it probably does is load third bootloader.
3. third bootloader: SABOOT.BIN (from now on just called SABOOT or "the bootloader", it's stored as MS BIN from 1st block of DOC (0x8000 in flash), and has a backup of itself at 8th block at 0x40000. gets loaded at 0x940A0000 (=0xA4A00000) and does everything, boot the OS, flash the firmware, send debug messages to terminal (yeah I don't have access to the debug port )
4. OS from 16th block at 0x80000 in flash until end of BIPO, ... loads to ram at 0x94200000.
+1: and the password is stored in 15th block after SABOOT ends

booting OS:
it supports NOR and DOC flash too, I wonder if that 64MB/32MB ram/flash bsquare version had NOR? I never saw any of those bsquare's, anyone else?
it supports loading a raw image only for NOR (and executing it XIP from NOR flash), and supports BIN and supports GZ compressed BIN for both NOR and DOC.
anyway forget NOR now, we have DOC bsquares
if the OS is a BIN file then it just loads it to ram at 0x94200000;
if it is GZ then it expects the following signatures before uncompression starts: first two bytes must be 1F 8B, next two bytes should be 08 08, though the fourth byte may be different from 08, but must not have 0xC0 or 0x20 bits sets, no idea what the rest means. we'll just stick to 08 08
then i think it expects compressed data at 0x80011. the standard zlib signature 78 9C is not needed.
at the end of the OS image, the last 4 bytes for standard zlib are missing (adler32 checksum) but instead there's the crc32 checksum of uncompressed image and size of uncompressed image, in the last 8 bytes.
then it gets uncompressed to BIN and that's copied to RAM and booted.

flashing firmware: this is the interesting part I guess
you can flash OS or do other things in the following ways (not tested yet, will try today! ) :
- key combinations, 7 of them:
U+D: USB download, see below.
R+S: DOC flash from SD/MMC card, by filename DOCSPL.NB0, flashes the second bootloader. hard coded to flash to doc block 0.
R+B: DOC flash from SD/MMC card, by filename BOOT.BIN, flashes SABOOT. hard coded to flash to doc block 1. it is SABOOT packaged as a MS BIN.
R+O: DOC flash from SD/MMC card, by filename NK.BIN or NK.GZ (first it looks for NK.GZ, if not found it tries to find NK.BIN). NK.BIN flashes a BIN image, NK.GZ flashes a compressed image.
it turns out the BIN is flashed as is, no extra header or formatting is needed. the GZ however needs a header, but it is the exact same as seen in the rom dump. you keep the first 17 bytes, the rest is the raw compressed data of the BIN file, then the last 8 bytes are those crc32 and filesize data mentioned above at the OS booting info.
G+K: this takes the bootloader image (SABOOT) from doc at 0x40000 and writes it to block 1 (0x8000). does not need any SD card, so if you press G+K during boot it will perform this action without any extra checks! and if you happen to have erased your flash at 0x40000, this G+K option will result in a neat brick... (unless DOCSPL loads SABOOT from 8th block instead of 1st, but I doubt that!)
B+C: you know what this is... hard reset/cold boot.
D+C (or maybe U+C?): you won't see this one in action without sending something over serial (see below). this is why it wasn't discovered before

- extrahidden options:
no idea how you'd set those, I haven't found a reference in the disassembly. maybe over the serial port (see below) but I doubt it.
- flash BOOTFL.BIN - bootloader image to flash directly to flash addresses specified in the BIN header. so either DOC has a fake address mapping to be able to specifiy addresses in the BIN header, or this FL is only for NOR flash. I would think DOC does have the fake mapping (RAM to DOC mapping to be more specific, this is the most likely), as it is required for BIN download from platform builder anyway.
another thing why this might only be for NOR is if this bootloader is SABOOT - should be stored as a BIN file instead of raw, and BOOTFL makes it get stored as raw, but maybe DOCSPL is flexible enough and willing to load raw SABOOT image too.
also, it is possible that this just intended to flash DOCSPL, and not SABOOT. DOCSPL *is* stored raw.
- flash NKFL.BIN - not implemented, but similar to BOOTFL flash, except it would only be the OS.
- load RAM OS NK.BIN - what it says.. copies NK.BIN BIN image from SD card and copies it to RAM... without any error checking. (invalid BIN will just crash it i guess)
this option is inaccessible right now, but I have ideas to get to it I really want to get this one working!! (RAM OS like on 900c)
three ideas so far:
1) patch the SABOOT loaded in ram then reboot to it, but I think DOCSPL reloads it from flash
2) load patched SABOOT in ram and jump to it manually (without true soft reset), this probably needs lots of low level patching to get working (same for 900c)
3) write the patch to the DOC directly (I think this is viable) one thing must be checked before doing so: does DOCSPL check the checksum of BIN file before loading SABOOT to ram on boot, if not then just write patch to doc, if yes, write changed checksum to doc aswell.
4) or just flash patched SABOOT as BOOT.BIN
actually 3rd and 4th options are best because that will make the patch permanent and will work even after hard reset

- download and flash over USB
U+D key combination;
L,U option from terminal;
BIN image download from platform builder... but my PB 4.2 doesn't have USB option, only ethernet and serial, so will need to see what to do, maybe it needs a usb to serial driver to communicate with PB. and I hear PB 5.0 supposedly has direct USB download... anyone got PB 5.0 installed ? the evaluation version from microsoft is fine...

- download and flash over standard ethernet:
L,E option from terminal;
bog standard BIN image download from platform builder. now if I had that debug ethernet card... it is a very straightforward method of flashing images, and you don't really have to install platform builder either, you can just use a tftp client on the PC with the right settings (trick is to set the port to 980 instead of default 69).

- download and flash over serial:
L,S option from terminal;
now I still have no idea where the serial port is, and no idea how to send the image (might be download from platform builder but I've seen no evidence of that), but the image is standard MS BIN.
I guess there is a way to get to the serial port, might involve hacking the docking station, anyone feels up to the task?
you can also start an automatic download over serial before entering serial menu (this one depends on the same special thing sent over debug port. nec 900c has the exact same check!! NOTE, 900c shares some of the code and hardware with bsquare phh, bsquare made the 900c too.)

- terminal over debug port:
there is a debug port that seems to be serial. but not the standard xscale serial port! the bootloader sends messages over it and if that port is activated, then you can also use some SMC ethernet debug card (there is reference to product ethernet card too, can that be bought anywhere?), which I have no idea where you'd obtain. anyone have an idea?

ok, even if only you have the serial port, you already have a very cool menu of options, copypasted from bootloader help menu with my comments in italic:

- menu options:
L - Run the S-Record Loader s-record refers to MS BIN...options within this are E, S, U - download over Ethernet, Serial or USB
E - Completely erases all of system Flash, returns to prompt when complete (now that's dangerous, I don't know yet if it erases bootloader too, need to check before trying )
C <source><destination><length>- Copy memory (RAM or Flash)
D <address>[B, W, D, default D] - Display data from starting address
(B = byte, W = word, D = dword)
S[B, W, D, default D] <address><value> [length] - Sets data at starting address>
G <address> - Starts execution from the address
M[M, U, R, W] <ramaddr><sector><count> - Mount/Unmount or Read/Write Disk data to/from RAM
T - Run the self-test (sort of some POST)
I - Identify. Prints the device identification information (it even shows you the website link to bsquare.com!)
V <start><length> - Verify checksum of specified memory region.
Z <start><length> - Zero memory region.
+ <16bit><16bit><16bit> - program debug ethernet card MAC address
= <16bit><16bit><16bit> - program product ethernet card MAC address (now what is this product ethernet card? I want one!)
PD - Dumps PCO EEPROM contents (PCO is what handles keyboard, touchscreen, backlight, etc. has its own firmware. 900c also has the same PCO = PIC.)
PW <address><value> - Writes value to PCO EEPROM address
PF <address><length><value>- Fills PCO EEPROM address range with a value
PP - Prepares PCO EEPROM with default build configuration
PS <platform setting><value> - sets platform boot configuration
-display <vga|qvga> - sets LCD panel size configuration (wonder what happens if you set qvga!)
-cpuspeed [100|200|300|400] - sets PXA250 cpu speed configuration

you have more menu options though that I've seen in the disasm, and some of them are not implemented:
F - erase or write flash, it seems you can give it address and length and E is erase, W is write. when you write the data is maybe from RAM.. not sure yet
not supported/not implemented ones from the help menu are: E, M, and "-" (program product eth card).

you can get to this menu (if we get access to serial port!) by using U+D and then just fail usb download. and it goes straight there. (or you can get to this menu right away using that tentative key combo mentioned above but only if it detects something special over serial or from whatever debug port there is)

well I have written enough already,

as summary I'd emphasize the best options to get working would be:
- NK.GZ flash (or NK.BIN flash but that's a waste of space unless you do want a small OS image).
- NK.BIN RAM OS load.
- if flash from SD for some reason won't go, then USB download of NK.BIN.
the rest is just interesting and would be fun to get going.

what I'd like to hear if someone can try:
- find serial port, by disassembling docking station maybe
- try to do USB download from platform builder 5.0 if you have that installed (eval version is just fine!). do not attempt to download a valid BIN though, just try some junk file, so the download will fail, we just want to check if PB can see the bsquare. ... or with PB 4.2, see if there is a usb to serial driver.
- if you have a bsquare with some HW fault or otherwise not sorry for risking it, take the romdump, get the part from 0x80000, until FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF empty part starts in the dump, name it NK.GZ and try to flash it in using R+O option
- any idea on this SMC ethernet card? maybe it is a SD lan card?!

Edited by cmonex 2008-05-17 3:42 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-17 2:55 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

quick update, DOCSPL doesn't get loaded to ram on reboot... direct jump to SABOOT from IPL

so going to try that idea for RAM OS now

also, though indirectly, but you can access the extra FL flash options from serial menu - I really want a serial cable...
 Top of the page
Jesus Page Icon Posted 2008-05-17 6:35 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks for your never ending efforts, Cmonex, keep up the spirit. Your eager newbie
 Top of the page
guaike Page Icon Posted 2008-05-18 3:46 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thank you,Cmonex.
 Top of the page
perazz Page Icon Posted 2008-05-18 7:11 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hi cmonex, again great job!
I'm having really little time these days, buy today I can try flashing using the R+O option on one of my 2 PHHs!

Ok, so I've followed your instructions:

1) Rom dump of my phh through your dumper
2) Hex editing: cut away the first part of the dump (until 0x80000, itself excluded) and the last part (version 1: cut away last FF FF FF FF; version 2: cut away also 00 00 00 00 00 before the last FF zone)
3) Put in a FAT16 formatted 128MB SD card as NK.GZ
4) R+O reset

The results: nothing apparently appened but a common cold boot in each version of NK.GZ: the bootloader shows "Loading from flash..." and then "Starting...". Then, the red welcome wizard appears.

Maybe I've made some mistakes in the procedure?

Edited by perazz 2008-05-18 7:46 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-19 9:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

OK, don't try to flash yet.

the trick is firstly,

the card must be bootable type (otherwise, FAT16 is ok, maybe even FAT12 and FAT32 too).

MBR has to be set to be bootable, first byte in first partition entry must be 0x80

but that's apparently not enough, after this I got a NK.BIN loaded to RAM using patch for bootloader to do this instead of flashing it in.

it neatly says "Loading from external device" and a progress bar that advances to the end, then before launching the image it displays "Starting" so the copy of the file to RAM finished OK.

but it never booted.

back to drawingboard to find out why.

anyone else care to test? maybe your SD works better than mine, until I debug the issue of non booting OS

this involves no risk because it only loads a RAM OS from SD to RAM, no flashing is performed.

after we managed to load a RAM OS we can proceed with actual flashing.

OK, so, steps.

1. download: http://hpcmonex.net/bsq/bsquarebootloaderhack.exe
2. run this exe on your bsquare, patches the bootloader to enable loading of a RAM OS. this will not clear until you do a C+B coldboot. (not even if R+S etc options coldboot your OS ).
2. download: http://hpcmonex.net/bsq/NK.zip
3. get winhex or something that can rawread and write MBR of a disk. if you use winhex, use physical disk option to open the disk!
4. with winhex or whatever, set first partition entry of the SD card in MBR to active if it isn't already active (=bootable). this usually means that the byte at offset 0x1BE will have to be 0x80.
5. unzip NK.zip and copy NK.BIN to your SD card
6. put the SD in bsquare, press R+S keys while resetting, you should see a screen saying "Loading from external device". when the progress bar goes to 100%, tt should then display "Starting" and then attempt to boot the OS.

you can try FAT16 first, can also try FAT32.

let me know if that works ..

Edited by cmonex 2008-05-19 9:23 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-19 9:42 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

another update

I've been reading a bit more disassembly of the OS uncompression code in bootloader and i realized it wasn't simply raw zlib... it has a suspiciously well defined header that is directly to do with the compressed file (the 08 08 etc. etc bytes at 0x80000). so if you download gzip.exe from http://www.gzip.org/ it will perfectly decompress and re-compress the OS file (from 0x80000 in the romdump). identical result to the original file when compressing it back (except for 4 bytes. that's just timestamp).

direct download link just in case: http://hpcmonex.net/bsq/gzip.exe

usage:

in cmd.exe:

uncompression: gzip -d file.gz outfile

compression: gzip filetocompress compressedfile.gz

(must have .gz extension)

Edited by cmonex 2008-05-19 10:15 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-22 9:11 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

no comments? if you need more info on the SD card boot sector, I can help... or maybe release another version of the patch that makes non bootable SD's work

also, I got the OS to load from SD and to boot to calibration but then it froze there. stay tuned
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-05-24 3:16 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok... BIG UPDATE

can boot RAM OS off SD card now just fine

I found out you needed to change two buffer addresses in the bootloader code. anyway, my patcher now takes care of not only that but of the SD boot sector too. you do not need to do any MBR editing with winhex or anything.

just run my patcher then put the NK.BIN on SD card, and reset while pressing and holding R+S

steps

1. download patcher http://hpcmonex.net/bsq/bsquarebootloaderhack_final1.exe
2. download OS image http://hpcmonex.net/bsq/NK2_RAMOS_proofofconcept__24May2008_1_52-4041.zip
3. copy patcher program to bsquare phh, and run it. it should say success, if not, let me know!!!
4. unzip and copy NK.BIN to your SD card (I used FAT16 but I think FAT32 is possibly accepted too).
5. reset while pressing and holding R+S keys until you see: Loading from external device and a progressbar. the load will take about 1 min, then it will (cold) boot the OS.

the OS I posted at the link is unmodified, well, the only modification is the Firmware Info applet in control panel, it says today's date (24th May 2008).
so you can check that in control panel after loading the image, if you wish.

have fun

well, OK now that I verified that image loading from SD card is possible, I think flashing won't be a problem. going to try real soon you can also try...

!!!do not try to flash the above BIN!!! it is only for RAM OS load it must first be compressed with gzip (download gzip here!), and named NK.GZ

OK to scare you with technical stuff too, decided to publish documentation of patcher program... I can give exact assembly code if anyone wants it (also can give source code for the flash read program)

anyway, this is basically three patches

1) forced RAM OS load instead of DOCSPL flash keycombination (R+S)
2) patched two hard coded buffers too that were corrupting the OS image being loaded (the code was expecting 30MB max or so)...
first one is buffer for each BIN record when being read from SD;
second one is buffer for the SD hardware register read;
3) also patched it not to check for bootable partition type

that's it for now

edit:
screenshot of slightly modified OS!

edit2: guaike, I loaded your bsquare's older OS version too for fun works fine. so you may load newer one now on that bsquare with MSN etc

Edited by cmonex 2008-05-24 3:33 AM

(CAPT0000.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments CAPT0000.jpg (38KB - 5 downloads)
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.297 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 11