x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Gaim port to H/PC?

corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-05-14 12:23 PM
#
My 790 is on the way and I'm already thinking of what I want to be able to do with it.. the first thing I need is a good couple chat programs (AIM/MSN & IRC)... Looking around, I should be able to find a decent IRC program but I haven't seen anything that combines AIM & MSN into something nice.

Gaim is open source and is currently commonly available on Linux and Windows so I don't think it would be terribly impossible to port over to HPC 2000 (and perhaps other versions). Any thoughts on this?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-14 2:46 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

iMov is a Jabber clienht which handles MSN, AIM, YIM and ICQ in one. There is a free and a extended pay version.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-14 3:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

decent irc client? hmmm depends on your definition of a decent irc client
there's only ircce. it has bugs and it's not even free.
and the problem for java irc clients is the available java vm's quality or stability... (ok, maybe the MIPS version of pjava is better than the ARM version..)
anyway, i use ircce and it does the job. i use it for IM too.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-05-15 2:59 AM
#
H/PC Elite

NOTE: This is not an effort to discourage anyone willing to try, it's just a realistic POV

Actually, here would be A LOT of work involved in porting Gaim to winCE. you must port the following

0) some kind of *nix API emu (somebody said cygwin), that will provide the basic to build on the next points

1) GTK toolkit, which it hell lot of code, includes the following
GTK+ 2.6.7
Glib 2.6.4
Pango 1.8.0
Atk 1.9.0
FreeType 2.1.8
FontConfig 2.2.2
gettext 0.13.1
libiconv
Zlib 1.2.2
libpng 1.2.8
libpng 1.2.7
libtiff 3.6.1
libjpeg 6.2
i dunno i all these are required by Gaim, but at least gtk, glib, freetype and libjpeg are mandatory

2) Other libraries
A) aspell (spell checking anyone)
B) NSPR and NSS from Mozilla, or GNUTLS & friends (libgpg, libcrypt, libtasn1) (i suppose u would like 2 use MSN messenger)

after you've satisfactory built at least the ones marked as mandatory, you can continue with:
3) Gaim itself

as far as i know, not even 10% of all these libs exist available for WinCE. so you see, it's a long hard road out of hell.

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-05-15 10:57 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Have a look at CenterICQ instead. (also opensource)

its a textmode msn,aim,yahoo, etc client.
Less libraries to port, and probably the PocketConsole would suffice for usability
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-05-15 8:32 PM
#
PocketDVD - 2005-05-15 8:57 AM

Have a look at CenterICQ instead. (also opensource)

its a textmode msn,aim,yahoo, etc client.
Less libraries to port, and probably the PocketConsole would suffice for usability

Hmm, looks interesting. I think I'll definately take a look at that!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 27