x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Newbie questions

skearon Page Icon Posted 2004-10-21 7:56 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have purchased a Packard Bell Easymate 800 (I believe its identical to the NEC Mobilepro 800) and have a couple of queries (it is due to arrive in the post within a few days):

Does it come with a Remote Desktop (Terminal Services) client? If not can
one be downloaded and if so from where?

What Bluetooth cards work? Specifically to pair with mobile phone for GPRS connection and then remote desktop

I have done a bit of research on Google and the Ambicom Air2Net BT2000-CF appears to have CE 2.x drives (last updated July 2004 according to their web site), does anyone have experience of this card and can they confirm whether it will provide a reliable GPRS connection?

Any other cards I should be looking at?

Finally what are the main advantages of HPC 2000 over HPC Pro, and are they any 640x480 or 800x600 HPC 2000 machines?
 Top of the page
\~{Foolery}~/
\~{Foolery}~/ Page Icon Posted 2004-10-22 8:08 AM
#
Hi skearon!

OK, if you are correct in saying that the Packard Bell is the same as the NEC then I know the specifications.

The screen is an 800x600 resolution 16bit (65,536 colours) TFT. It has a 131Mhz MIPS processor and 32Mb of RAM (24Mb ROM). It has a built in 56k standard modem and around 10 hours of battery life.

There is indeed a Terminal Services client available to download. This can be found at http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0066.asp

In terms of bluetooth cards have a look at http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/ and see what it says. I personally have no knowledge of the AmbiCom card, so I can't help there, sorry!

However, what is worth bearing in mind is that the NEC has a PCMCIA slot, making Bluetooth and WiFi a lot easier to facilitate!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2004-10-22 9:16 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Welcome to the world of H/PCs.

Bluetooth does exist for HPC Pro, however you may find the drivers limited. So please be sure to check with the manufacturer that you are indeed able to carry out the tasks you need before buying!

The main advantages of 2000 over Pro are that 2000 has a much higher multitasking capability. It is able to handle more information flowing more effieiently through the processor and so you don't see the lags you sometimes get under Pro.
2000 is also more secure, has a degree of DirectX support (for games really) and comes with some more robust out of box applications.

As I'm sure you will see there is a lot of discussion around here about getting a new web browser together for HPC Pro. As a practical case, if you navigated your 800 - once it's arrived - to this forum, and then tried to log in. You would have something of a problem.
It isn't an error with the forum code. This forum is coded to W3C standard (the internet standards body). The issue is with the limitations in the Pro browser. These have been sorted under 2000.

Lastly before you start getting comfortable with the device, please be sure to install at least the PCMCIA and MP77 update from the following page before you start experimenting:
http://support.necsam.com/downloads/search/default.htm?header=False&CIRestriction=358
The updates can negate some potential issues that you may come accross in the future, which will mean you have to completly reinstall the device.
 Top of the page
skearon Page Icon Posted 2004-10-23 1:12 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the replies guys

I installed my Avaya Wireless card and have it working with my access point, plus have the Terminal Services client working well

One thing I cannot get to work is Activesync

It did work with my Office PC, however I cannot get it to work with my home PC (both XP SP2 with Activesync 3.7.1). I have set the correct COM1 as both the PC and HPC say they are connecting... but never do.

Any ideas most welcome! I haven't tried installing the sync software that came on the CD as I don't want it to interfere with Activesync which I need for my Loox 720 PDA

I've just found and purchased a Ambicom Air2Net BT2000-CF Bluetooth CF card on eBay as their web site has CE 2.11 drivers so will test this as soon as it arrives and hopefully will get my dream Terminal Services machine for use in the car.

Does anyone know if a car charger is available ?
 Top of the page
skearon Page Icon Posted 2004-10-23 2:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

skearon - 2004-10-23 6:12 PM

One thing I cannot get to work is Activesync

It did work with my Office PC, however I cannot get it to work with my home PC (both XP SP2 with Activesync 3.7.1). I have set the correct COM1 as both the PC and HPC say they are connecting... but never do.

Any ideas most welcome! I haven't tried installing the sync software that came on the CD as I don't want it to interfere with Activesync which I need for my Loox 720 PDA

Just done a hard reset and Activesync is working :-)

However HPC 3 Service Pack 1 won't install - should it?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 9