x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

A newbie with a Pencentra

1 2 3
deepBlue
deepBlue Page Icon Posted 2008-07-09 7:52 PM
#
Well, looks like I'm the new guy here
I've been on HPC:Factor before in the past looking up info I needed for some projects (mainly the Windows 3.1 IE information )

Anyways, I've recently acquired a Fujitsu Pencentra 130 from eBay. $10 buy-it-now didn't seem too bad for a unit with a battery, case (harsh environment case!), stylus, and all (except a power adapter), and $30 later, I have a power adapter and a wireless card on the way, drivers already installed on the tablet, waiting to go...

Can anyone give me some tips I should know about CE 2.11 or the PenCentra in general?
As much as I've used Windows, I'm not a CE person, even though I've tried building a CEPC image once for an old PC in Platform Builder and used it then.

-dB
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-07-09 8:03 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nice deal you got. Some basics about the PenCentra:

1) USB and PS/2 host ports, with mouse and keyboard drivers included in ROM, so both will work out of the box
2) you can use a standard null modem cable to connect to a PC to synchronize/exchange data
3) has built-in flash storage memory, where you can put stuff you don't want to lose in case of a hard reset
4) MIPS processor, so look for software with MIPS versions

See the Downloads page for some essentials for H/PC Pro (CE 2.11) devices:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/downloads/
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2008-07-09 11:10 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

All of what CE Geek says and:

I just recently got one of them, the outdoor style, on ebay also. If you need more storage, you will need either a PCMCIA flash that I have never seen or what I used which is a PCMCIA Compact Flash adaptor. Two PCMCIA slots is a godsend failing having a CF slot.

My 130 might be due for death though, some day I might start a project to take the outdoor screen and swap it to the PC200 w/ HPC2000 and add a front light effect for the indoor use. This is a ways off befoe I verify it can be done and do it. In the meantime I have a lot of software to write!
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-07-10 1:24 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nice project, smb_gaiden. My PenCentra is a 200 with H/PC 2000 and the outdoor frontlit screen. I love it for outdoor use, especially on these sunny summer days.

There are PCMCIA hard drives out there, though they're hard to find these days. I have a 5 GB one. But I prefer using a CF card with the PCMCIA adapter as you mention. Small concession, since these adapters can be found pretty cheap on eBay these days.

Edited by CE Geek 2008-07-10 1:27 AM
 Top of the page
phoenixx100 Page Icon Posted 2008-07-10 9:48 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Greets to deepBlue, and all of the other commentors - this is my very first post...

I also have recently obtained some Fujitsu PenCentra 200 units - five of them in fact, from different vendors. Two of them have the transmissive (indoor) screens, and the other three have reflective screens. They are pleasent to use and behold, and I certainly am happy to have obtained them, however, only the two transmissive models are in excellent condition. Of the other three (reflective) units, only two actually operate (boot up), and one of the two has an extremely dim backlight (or is it a sidelight?). The third relective unit does not boot, but does make system noises when the record button is pressed, or the screen is tapped. I am keeping it for parts. Knowing well that the cost of service on these units by a knowledgeable technician would very likely be cost-prohibitive, I am loathe to even request info on a backlight replacement or other repairs, so I will restrain my request for information to the following topics:

ROM Updates for the PenCentra 200 ... are they available and reasonably easy (and glitch-free) to implement?

WiFi PCMCIA cards ... from experience, can someone recommend the best card(s)?

Software ... although I am fairly familiar with pocket pcs (I own about a dozen, mostly older, models), the confusion re software for CE 2.11 vs H/PC 2000 bothers me [perhaps I really should read through the FAQs, eh folks? - please, no flaming; I saw the evil nature of this forum via the very funny thread {locked by the moderator} where some dude requested a free device]. Simply put, if anyone has actually used a PenCentra 200 extensively, and loaded whatever software successfully upon it, please let me, and other newbies know!

Stylus Replacements ... only one of the units I purchased came with a tethered stylus, and that lone stylus broke (!) soon afterwards, leaving me no choice but to tape it. Now it won't fit into the slot, and I am sad... Where, oh where can I purchase replacement stylii? Fujitsu, apparently, has completely dropped support for the PenCentra line, and offers no links to any third-party vendors. I am not lazy, and have actually looked online for these, and other accessories; I am very interested in purchasing any of the following (Fujitsu model numbers):

• Spare Pen (FMW51PN1)
• Pen Tether (FMW51ST1)
• Docking Station (FMW51DS1)
• 16MB RAM Expansion Module (FMW51EM16)
• 32MB RAM Expansion Module (FMW51EM32)
• Harsh Environment Case (FMWCC36)
• Spare Battery Pack (FMW51BP1)
• External Battery Charger (FMW51BC1)
• Handstrap (FMWHS3)
• Screen Protectors, 12-pack (FMWSP6)
• Compact Folding Deskstand (FMWDS4)
• System Holster (FMWCC34)
• Harsh Environment Case Holster (FMWCC37)
• Slipcase (FMWCC33)
• Portfolio Case (FMWCC35)
• USB Keyboard: US (FMWKB5A)

Of course, I am totally interested in any third-party peripherals which will operate correctly, especially PCMCIA cards of any kind, or any alternate storage devices. Please advise.

Well, that's about it, for now. For those of you that don't know, these are really excellent little devices, with modest capabilities, which should be especially perfect for writers. Certainly, the older technology would somewhat frustrate modern power users, but more humble folk will be pleasantly surprised at what basic functionality is included. All the standard Microsoft propaganda (Word, Excel, Access, even a presentation-only version of PowerPoint)! Whee!

Heh heh. Thanks for reading this tripe, and seriously, if any of you large-brained types can point me in the right direction, concerning any of these matters, I (and others, certainly) would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you, and Good Day...

Terry

Edited by phoenixx100 2008-07-10 9:55 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-07-11 12:49 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

As for PCMCIA WiFi cards: make sure 802.11b compatible since neither H/PC Pro nor H/PC 2000 support 802.11g. Some of us (myself included) have struggled with installing the drivers for Agere-based WiFi cards (such as the various ORiNOCO cards), so you might want to try a Prism-based card like the Belkin F5D-6020 or the D-Link DWL-650. Check the Hardware Compatibility List here for compatible cards (and compatible versions thereof):

http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/

And here's a good place to start your search for software:

http://www.hpc.communitypage.net/

BTW, I forgot to mention above that I've even gotten an infrared mouse working with the PenCentra (though it uses its own IR receiver that plugs into the PenCentra's PS/2 port. See this thread:

http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8704&posts=6&highlight=Wireless%20mouse%20working%20with%20PenCentra&highlightmode=1#M85665
 Top of the page
deepBlue
deepBlue Page Icon Posted 2008-07-11 9:06 PM
#
Got a WPC11 working thanks to some tips here of using the WL100 drivers - someone on Amazon has 'em for ~$10 after shipping, but you've got to request a V3 via email.
I bought mine from more4less2008, fast shipping and excellent communication:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000C20HQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215824651&sr=8-1

Will I be able to use ActiveSync over wireless, or will I need to make a partnership via serial first?

Also, trying to search for "Pencentra" on the forum search gives me a SQL timeout error for some odd reason.

Thanks so far for the help! :3

-dB
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-07-11 9:09 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

You have to have a partnership established before you can sync via WiFi.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2008-07-12 12:51 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Agere-based WiFi cards (such as the various ORiNOCO cards), It seems I am the only one who got it to work.

I just tried again after the computer been down for 9 months and it works with the drivers here on both HPC Pro and HPC 2000.

Fujitsu no longer selling parts and is giving limited support now. They stopped in 2007.

Anybody looking for some, let me know.

I will look for the post of what I got working on the computer. If you got the stand it is even better.

My card is the Orinoco classic gold card - Agere- PC24E-11-FC/R, 128bit encryption

S/F<
CEYA!

Edited by Ceya 2008-07-12 12:56 PM
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2008-07-12 1:05 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Cannot search, this comes up. I will do it manually.

S/F<
CEYA!

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e31'

Timeout expired

/forums/search/query.asp, line 215
 Top of the page
Dionisio Koo
Dionisio Koo Page Icon Posted 2008-07-12 1:37 PM
#
Hello Everyone,

If been having Windows CE devices since the LG Phenom 120, Jornada 820, Jornada 540 Pocket PC, Toshiba e740.

Recently this last month I bought on ebay a Hitachi ePlate HPW-600 for my luck the touch screen didnt work, now I bought his cheap and nice Pencentra 130 from ebay at $15.00 nice device, the only question I have is regarding the display, I dont know if the display is damaged or what but the screen is very light is a some kind of difficult to see, I dont see true colors even been a 256 color device, even dealing with the brightness and contrast I dont see true colors. I can see the colors but in a very low resolution, like if the cables are lose or something, even I open the device and reset all the cables that goes connected to the monitor and nothing, I only want to know if this is like this that the screen is not very bright or my LCD is too old or broken.

Thanks,
 Top of the page
phoenixx100 Page Icon Posted 2008-07-12 3:41 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Dear Koo (D...),

The thing to remember, is that the Pencentras came in TWO different models, regarding screen type: Transmissive (indoors) and Reflective (outdoors). Sounds to me like you have a Reflective (again, outdoors) model. Yes, the screen backlight is super-dim, indeed. But take the unit outside on a bright, sunny day, and you'll see. Have you done that yet? NOW you're getting it... Just be sure that your backlight is actually turned OFF before using the unit on that bright sunny day for an extended session, so's that you don't unnecessarily run down your battery charge. Hope this helps. Also, once again, I would like to reiterate my plea for help regarding Pencentra accessories. Yes, the unit stand is one of the items that I would most like to have. Anything (Pencentra-related, you see - I am a brand-loyal fool - a-gurhhh) will be considered... Tanks...
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-07-12 6:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Check Ceya's post above - he may be able to help.

I second phoenixx100 re: the display. Mine is outdoor reflective as well. It will show up nicely under a bright reading lamp. If you have a tall floor-stand reading lamp that you can place next to an easy chair, you should be good to go.
 Top of the page
Nate the great Page Icon Posted 2008-07-12 10:38 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

My Pencentra just arrived today. Nice little gadget.

phoenixx100 - 2008-07-10 9:48 PM
I am very interested in purchasing any of the following (Fujitsu model numbers):

• Spare Pen (FMW51PN1)
• 16MB RAM Expansion Module (FMW51EM16)
• 32MB RAM Expansion Module (FMW51EM32)
• Spare Battery Pack (FMW51BP1)
• Screen Protectors, 12-pack (FMWSP6)
• USB Keyboard: US (FMWKB5A)

Terry

I know that I've seen the items on this list on Ebay. Well, except for the US Keyboard.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-07-13 4:33 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Lots of USB keyboards will work out of the box with the PenCentra.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.296 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 12