x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Mobilepro 900c and TomTom / other GPS?

1 2
ivoryjedi Page Icon Posted 2008-07-16 11:54 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Here's a question for all you HPC gurus. I know that Tom Tom has a Windows Mobile release of their software for use in iPaqs and such. Has anyone managed to get this software running on the *big screen* that the 900c has... seems like it would be an incredibly good Sat Nav if you could mate it with a bluetooth GPS receiver.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-07-16 12:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

It should run fine...

I have tomtom running on my Sig3 and I don't think it needed any special set-up to display at full 800x480 on Sig3.

Find a version for download and give it a go.

John

PS I use a BT GPS reciver with a socket BT card and IIRC in tom tom just set it up to use a NEMA comaptible bluetooth reciver.

Edited by mr-mac 2008-07-16 12:08 PM
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-07-16 12:18 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Your other option is a CF card gps reciver (and use it in a PCMCIA > CF adapter)

You can get an older CF GPS or BT GPS quite cheap... That will let you try it out then get a more modern faster and more accurate reciver if you get everything working.

Or if you have an N95 or other symbian phone with GPS there is an app that will turn it into a BT GPS (not best option as it isn't 100% reliable connection wise but it lets you make sure the software is working)

John
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-07-16 3:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

which version of tomtom, mr-mac?
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-07-16 4:04 PM
#
H/PC Elder

IIRC ver 6 and 7 but will need to check
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-07-16 6:10 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Give it up Ivoryjedi...unless you only want to use it during the night time. The 900C just washes out too badly to use in the daytime...though there are several software applications that run just fine....

Rich
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-07-16 6:40 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I successfully tried Pharos GPS on J720/8 and MP900C, but even J72x was too large/heavy to be mounted on a simple holder. Their display is also a weak point. I finally settled on Dell X51v for GPS use. It's lighter and brighter.

Edited by CAuser 2008-07-16 6:41 PM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2008-07-16 9:44 PM
#
H/PC Elite

TomTom 6 works fine on 900c. No hacks needed. Ive used it with a Holux GR-271 cf gps receiver via pcmcia adapter. Also depending on positioning in the vehicle the screen doesnt wash out. I had mounted mine with velco to a cheap walmart coin and cupholder that sits on the floor hump between driver and passenger seat. It was perfectly visable.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
theoak Page Icon Posted 2008-07-16 10:38 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I've thought about rigging a home made mount, and making a screen shade of some sort because of the washed out screen on 900C. Better yet, i've dreamed that one day someone would make a polarizing backlight reflective screen protector that would convert dstn screens to transflective! (Dream on........)
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-07-17 4:06 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

RTFM, Great for you...but my eyes must not be as good as yours are. Good info nonetheless and a beautiful screenshot. On the other hand, I don't want to look down on the floor to view the GPS info... I guess someone could use a small TFT type monitor via the VGA out jack to improve the visibility.

I guess if you have no choice, then you can live with it...but I've seen Garmin GPS units sell for right at $100 in several places...and saw some no brand GPS device at one of those truck stops for only $70 recently. Prices have dropped on them, and will probably continue to go down with time.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-07-17 8:01 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I like the concept of using a CE tablet (Airpanel, skeye.pad, etc) for GPS navigation, cuz of the big screen, especially for us older folks with tired eyes (right, Rich? ). (Just wish my skeye.pad were still working. )
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-07-18 6:47 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

I wonder how long it will be before we see a heads-up display in our cars with gps units....

Yep CE Geek...bigger is better for us oldies...
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-07-18 2:35 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Would there be any way to make an external touch screen work on 900c?

If it was VGA fro screen and usb for touch screen?

You could then drop the 900c in the glove box and run it from the screen.

John
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-07-24 4:18 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Ok here is R66 V7 working on my Sig3 at 800x480.

Thanks

John

PS I am sure I had V8 working at some point but cant seem to get it to work any more. V8 is even nicer looking with the clearest maps I have seen. Though I tried V7 on way to work today and it did a nice job. Just need to see if Sig3 can play music at same time as running this and I can radio transmit music and directions to car stereo.

Edited by mr-mac 2008-07-24 4:25 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-07-24 5:26 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

So voice navigation works fine with V7, mr-mac?
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 12