x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Spectec SD WiFi Card - Problem

nosmoht Page Icon Posted 2008-07-25 5:43 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Bought one of these (an 802.11b SDW-820 to be precise) and upon insertion in my NBPRO the WLAN utility pops up and sniffs around for WiFi networks in range - it connects to my secured home network first time everytime.

The problem comes after browsing for a while - sometimes a long while, sometimes a few seconds - the connection drops and the NBPRO reads the SD slot as "Empty Slot" - the little green light on the WiFi SD card stays lit though so the slot obviously has power. If I take out the WiFi card and put in a normal memory card the slot is still read as empty - even if I disable/enable it in control panel it's status won't change. The only solution is to do a soft reset - which is annoying - especially if you are a good way through an online purchase or similar. I did try re-installing the drivers instead of doing a reset but the "DLL is in user or in ROM" message prevents it successfully installing.

I am using the PPC2003 driver. Bought it off eBay from someone listing it as "Netbook Pro SD WiFi card" - the driver CD has no WinCE drivers on it. maybe there is a better driver somewhere - I haven't been able to find it

Has anyone had an experience of this sort of thing happening with the Spectec card or any other cards?

Cheers
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-07-25 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

reinstall requires reboot, unfortunately.

for me the problem on cenet 4.1 only occurs if i reboot, but then i rebooted anyway so another reboot for reinstall is no problem
 Top of the page
nosmoht Page Icon Posted 2008-07-27 2:57 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

It is a most strange issue I am having - I can browse on BBC News (venture too far away from the mobile site though and things go downhill - from a technical point of view not the sites content), HPC Factor works ok (except for the forum search functionality which returns internal error 500 messages - which probably explains the lack of posts I've seen saying "Search!" to noobs ), Google searching (google mail especially - the netbook was bought for quick email after all so yeay!) and msn news

I come a croper when I attempt to go to youtube, ebay (including the mobile site which says it is unavailable but will come up on my W5 Phone that uses the same WiFi) - after the home pages partially load the connection goes bye bye and I am left having to soft reset. I am most annoyed about ebay as I really want to be able to check my bid status quickly and without too much fuss Youtube doesn't matter really as from what I hear the netbook doesn't do video too well and I doubt I even have the correct version of Flash player (if my NBPRO even has one at all)

I thought of pinging the sites but ebay won't reply from any machine I try and ping from and youtube seems quite happy to be pinged for as long as I want - not a very reliable test clearly.

Maybe it is a problem with internet explorer 6 on the netbook? I'll try getting ebay on GPRS and have a look around for a better browser which I could do with anyway.

I ordered an SD > PCMCIA adaptor on ebay in hope that maybe it is a slot issue - worth a try.

Cheers
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 11