x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NetBSD packages in a DOS partition

wntrmute Page Icon Posted 2008-07-26 3:02 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'd like to install NetBSD 4.0 on my MobilePro 780. I can format/partition the card, but don't have any way of getting the packages from FTP/HTTP or even a separate memory storage device other than the 512 CF card that the boot loader is loaded on.

I've made a 50 MB MSDOS partition so that I can download the .comp/.etc/kern-GENERIC files onto the MS-DOS partition, but don't know how to redirect the booting program to look for the binary files in the DOS partition instead of the various directories that it looks through for the kernel install.

Basically, would I need to install from a local directory and what directory would this be? All files are in the root of the DOS partition, so no searching through file folders are needed...just need to know how to redirect the bootloader to look in the DOS partition instead of the NetBSD partition if that's possible.

Thanks in advance, from a UNIX newbie. I want to install UNIX on my mobile pro just to play with and maybe actually learn something. If I can get it running I have an old computer that I hope to load it on, but want to try UNIX before Linux and NetBSD seems to be the way to go on the mobile pro series.

Mark
 Top of the page
HellDragon Page Icon Posted 2008-08-03 8:29 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Maybe that could help you, http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_NetBSD_2.0.2_on_an_NEC_MobilePro_780 it talks about NetBSD 2.02 but it's the exact same thing
 Top of the page
wntrmute Page Icon Posted 2008-08-03 11:27 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for the response, I already had that site bookmarked.

Where I'm stuck is the packages to "get." I can't FTP/HTTP 'em, and I don't have a separate PCMCIA memory card or anything. The ONLY way I have to get the packages to the memory is a single card that is partitioned to both MS DOS and Net BSD on the same disk. I have 100 MB DOS partition with all of the Net BSD packages and need to be able to tell the sysint program where to look for them. This is where I run into trouble; I'm still enough of a UNIX newbie to know what a card is called, or how to get the packages from the DOS partition into the Net BSD partition.

Basically, what do you call the place where the packages are stored so that the install program can find and unzip them to the Net BSD partition?

Thanks again for the help,

Mark
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 42 - Executed queries : 27