x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Form Developer Needed

Rickard5 Page Icon Posted 2008-08-09 2:01 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I just bought a Jornada 720 and I'm waiting for it to get here and if I can develop some simple Database and Data analysis apps, but I'm not too brite and have a real hard time with object orientated Languages, I plan to give embedded VB a go but I'm still stuck in Comand line Basics, like I still use my OSI and my Apple to develop apps I need. Seriously though I have done some basic programing in 4GL Rapid Application Environments like Clairon , IEF Case Tols and Small Talk, so what I'm wondering is there a RAD Environment that will run or Develop for the 720? For my Applications all I need is to be able to Create forms and design Reports, and make a sort of Database from those forms, and maybe do some back end calculation based on the data in the Database. the 720 Seams to be the perfect solution to my day to day needs, if I could build some real simple apps. Right now like when we go to the track for test and tune nights or Race days I collect TONS of Data from our Race Paks and end up exporting the date to Apps I've written in DOS or in to Visicalc or Multiplan, I am an unchanging dinosaur, and honestly the main reason I keep these DOS machines Working is that I am not all that bright, and as hard as I've tried I just can't get the hang of C++
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-08-09 9:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rickard5 - 2008-08-09 8:01 AM

I just bought a Jornada 720 and I'm waiting for it to get here and if I can develop some simple Database and Data analysis apps, but I'm not too brite and have a real hard time with object orientated Languages, I plan to give embedded VB a go but I'm still stuck in Comand line Basics, like I still use my OSI and my Apple to develop apps I need. Seriously though I have done some basic programing in 4GL Rapid Application Environments like Clairon , IEF Case Tols and Small Talk, so what I'm wondering is there a RAD Environment that will run or Develop for the 720? For my Applications all I need is to be able to Create forms and design Reports, and make a sort of Database from those forms, and maybe do some back end calculation based on the data in the Database. the 720 Seams to be the perfect solution to my day to day needs, if I could build some real simple apps. Right now like when we go to the track for test and tune nights or Race days I collect TONS of Data from our Race Paks and end up exporting the date to Apps I've written in DOS or in to Visicalc or Multiplan, I am an unchanging dinosaur, and honestly the main reason I keep these DOS machines Working is that I am not all that bright, and as hard as I've tried I just can't get the hang of C++

I'm sure EVB won't be too bad for this stuff. do try it. as for C++, where do you get stuck usually?
 Top of the page
Rickard5 Page Icon Posted 2008-08-09 11:47 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

cmonex - 2008-08-09 8:01 PM
I'm sure EVB won't be too bad for this stuff. do try it. as for C++, where do you get stuck usually?

I'm going to half price to find a book on VB and see if I can't figure that out, Where I get stuck in C++ is basically at the beginning, I'm not very smart and I easily get Overwhelmed trying to learn c from a book most of the development I've done like I say has been 4gl Database stuff - Easy Point and click stuff
 Top of the page
XFer Page Icon Posted 2008-08-10 4:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I second cmonex 'bout EVB (Embedded? Visual Basic).
It's quite easy, it's a RAD, it's free and you can find tons of learning material for it.
If you already had a look at Visual Basic, you're more or less at home.
Visual C/C++ is way more difficult, needed (only) if you have to squeeze some serious performances out of your handheld.
I prefer C (EVC 3.0) but that's because I'm an old(time) Unix C programmer.

Fer
 Top of the page
Rickard5 Page Icon Posted 2008-08-11 2:51 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

XFer - 2008-08-10 3:07 PM I prefer C (EVC 3.0) but that's because I'm an old(time) Unix C programmer.

Fer

Gee XFER you want to devilop a few apps for me? I can draw out all the front end screens and reports if you can handle the back end code
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-08-11 10:09 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Rickard5 - 2008-08-11 8:51 PM

XFer - 2008-08-10 3:07 PM I prefer C (EVC 3.0) but that's because I'm an old(time) Unix C programmer.

Fer

Gee XFER you want to devilop a few apps for me? I can draw out all the front end screens and reports if you can handle the back end code

you're really lazy. have you looked at EVB?
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2008-08-17 10:18 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

eVB is rather hard. it's embedded visual basic so, it doesn't have many functions that the VB has. I can maybe help you out if you mail me, just give me the details...
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-08-18 8:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Rickard5

Actually if you don't mind spending a few dollars, VisualCE from Syware is pretty powerful and will do far more than you need it to without reinventing the wheel. You can write your application in VisualCE and run it far simpler and faster than producing code at machine level.

Go to syware.com and download the trial version. There is even a simpler version available for $29 that might do the job you want...but the software works great on any HPC with CE3.0 or higher OS.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2008-08-18 8:27 AM
 Top of the page
Rickard5 Page Icon Posted 2008-08-19 6:39 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Rich Hawley
Actually if you don't mind spending a few dollars, VisualCE from Syware is pretty powerful

Thanks rich Just got the 30 day wersion and I'm going to play with it

Thanks stingraze, when I get everything figured out I'll drop you an email with what all I'm trying to do. I need to spend some more time looking at the Race pack's Export Data and see what I need from it
 Top of the page
Rickard5 Page Icon Posted 2008-08-19 6:39 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Rich Hawley
Actually if you don't mind spending a few dollars, VisualCE from Syware is pretty powerful

Thanks rich Just got the 30 day wersion and I'm going to play with it

Thanks stingraze, when I get everything figured out I'll drop you an email with what all I'm trying to do. I need to spend some more time looking at the Race pack's Export Data and see what I need from it
 Top of the page
stingraze Page Icon Posted 2008-08-20 7:24 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Vanguard

ok I'll be waiting...
 Top of the page
XFer Page Icon Posted 2008-08-21 9:31 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Rickard5 - 2008-08-11 8:51 PM

Hi Rick, I would be happy to help, but unfortunately I'm quite overwhelmed, so I have basically no spare time left. Sorry.

Fer
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 10