x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My NEC is going back to school to get a masters degree

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2008-08-25 2:15 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I am returning to school to get a masters degree. I am about ready to order a new battery or two for it. I want to bounce a few questions off you all.

1. Is there another program out there for the nec 880 that will help me take notes? I like ink writer but I can't seem to find a way to change the size of the file. If i could have an infinitely long file, that would be perfect but as it is, after a page and a half (printed) the page stops and I need to open a new file.

2. Is there other software out there that will help me study? I will be doing mostly reading, note taking and writing - it is a masters degree in theology.

3. which wifi card would you recommend for this - especially important is which one will use the least amount of electricity. I will have five hours of class each day and will need to periodically print to the school's printer via wifi - or do some research online

4. What is the recommended browser for this? Is there a replacement for the native (lousy) IE?
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-08-25 3:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Re 4), there's always WorldTalk, available on cmonex' site:

http://www.hpcmonex.net/izemize.htm

There's a .NET Compact Framework 1.0-based browser called Maximus, but I haven't figured out yet how to make it work in the H/PC Pro version of .NET CF 1.0 (if it'll work there at all).

Re 3), a CF WiFi card will consume less power than a PCMCIA one. I've had some good experience with the D-Link DCF-660W card in H/PC Pro.

Re 2), it sounds like a hierarchical notes/"mindmap" app would be helpful. There are several out there, but most of the ones I've come across are for CE 3.0 devices (other than PhatWare's HPC Notes, though that isn't freeware), leaving two options: a) hexedit them to change the OS version and hope they work; or b) get the NEC 790 ROM and upgrade the 880 to H/PC 2000 (which will also get you a better version of PIE). (Have you considered this last option? I've still seen the ROMs available on eBay recently, for under 20 USD. )

Edited by CE Geek 2008-08-25 3:12 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 9