x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

MP900C - power issues

doctrdev
doctrdev Page Icon Posted 2008-08-29 7:01 PM
#
Hi There!

My NEC MP 900C has some serious power management issues.

In a previous post I mentioned that it gives the 'main battery is dangerously low' error even on a full charge when the unit is plugged in. The battery itself wasn't prematurely drained, and will operate as normal despite the warnings that the OS is giving me.

NOW the unit gives the warning that the backup battery is drained or missing. I replaced the backup battery, this kept the unit happy for about 3 days (at which time the backup battery was never used to power the unit), it gives the warning constantly now, as it if does not recognize the battery.

If any of you have tried running a MP without the backup battery, the system responsiveness slows to a crawl, to the point where typing on the keyboard takes the unit forever to respond. I checked the contacts, both are connecting with the new backup battery.

This issue has pretty much bricked the unit... I'm wondering if this is an OS problem.. seeing as usedhandhelds charges $150 to fix a unit that only cost me $200, this sucker is about to go in the trash unless there is some way I can repair it myself...
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-08-29 7:25 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I think your original posting came along with another user's power issues. I reviewed your previous posts (well a 2 of them) and an obvious question is whether or not you've done a hard reset. Powering the unit on and off and/or pressing the reset button isn't a hard reset.

I don't think its an OS design flaw (meaning that as far as I know, it isn't a common problem). IM(NS)HO, $150 for a repair is way too high unless you really covet an "expert's" warrantee (and this isn't meant as a slam against usedhandhelds... I hear that they're very good). If it's really heading to the trash, I'll take it off your hands...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-08-31 6:20 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

doctrdev - 2008-08-30 1:01 AM

Hi There!

My NEC MP 900C has some serious power management issues.

In a previous post I mentioned that it gives the 'main battery is dangerously low' error even on a full charge when the unit is plugged in. The battery itself wasn't prematurely drained, and will operate as normal despite the warnings that the OS is giving me.

NOW the unit gives the warning that the backup battery is drained or missing. I replaced the backup battery, this kept the unit happy for about 3 days (at which time the backup battery was never used to power the unit), it gives the warning constantly now, as it if does not recognize the battery.

If any of you have tried running a MP without the backup battery, the system responsiveness slows to a crawl, to the point where typing on the keyboard takes the unit forever to respond. I checked the contacts, both are connecting with the new backup battery.

This issue has pretty much bricked the unit... I'm wondering if this is an OS problem.. seeing as usedhandhelds charges $150 to fix a unit that only cost me $200, this sucker is about to go in the trash unless there is some way I can repair it myself...

er, without backup battery, the 900c runs the same, it doesn't slow down.

apparently you have a hardware fault then, unless you haven't tried hard reset yet. remove all batteries, then put back, then it should ask you to calibrate the screen, then it was hardreset.

don't throw it in the trash though - see, people are interested! (so am I)

by the way if all you want is to make the battery warnings disappear - I can give you an explorer.mui for this which OS version are you running? so i can give you the right version.

Edited by cmonex 2008-08-31 6:22 AM
 Top of the page
doctrdev
doctrdev Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 5:57 PM
#
Thank you for all of your help! I performed the hard reset, that seems to have resolved the issue for now, and the system's responsiveness is improved. I'm runnning CE.net v 4.20, I would appreciate that hack to remove the battery warnings. Thanks!!!
 Top of the page
doctrdev
doctrdev Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 5:59 PM
#
Thank you for all of your help! I performed the hard reset, that seems to have resolved the issue for now, and the system's responsiveness is improved. I'm runnning CE.net v 4.20, I would appreciate that hack to remove the battery warnings. Thanks!!!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 11:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

exactly what firmware version? in nec firmware info applet in control panel.

OK please mail me for it so i dont forget, as i cant do it right now.. contactchan at freemail.hu

Edited by cmonex 2008-09-01 11:22 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 15