x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Charging an nec 880 battery externally

pengyou Page Icon Posted 2008-08-30 5:45 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

My NEC 880 is a GREAT tool for the classroom! Yes, the software is a little limited but for taking notes it works really, really well. I am going to start trying to record lectures with it while taking notes and see how that goes. It feel sooooo light, as though it could just hop off the desk and fly

I have ordered 2 new batteries for it - the wifi cf card takes a toll, so decided to go with 2. Is there someway to charge a battery outside of the NEC 880? I would like to be able to charge 2 batteries over night.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-08-30 9:27 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Funny you should ask. A few months ago I got the MP 770/780/790 external charger (OP-MP9-CHARGER) and in the NEC provided literature, it indicated that it would also charge 800 batteries. Naturally, I've lost the sheet, so I can't verify it. Perhaps somebody else can.

This is a single desktop unit that can be ganged up to make a multi-bay charger. The charger just "grips" the battery around the contacts nub, so it isn't going to be bothered about the difference in shape between a 790 and 880. I guess.

Edited by hmascience 2008-08-30 9:28 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-08-31 5:46 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmascience - 2008-08-31 3:27 AM

Funny you should ask. A few months ago I got the MP 770/780/790 external charger (OP-MP9-CHARGER) and in the NEC provided literature, it indicated that it would also charge 800 batteries. Naturally, I've lost the sheet, so I can't verify it. Perhaps somebody else can.

This is a single desktop unit that can be ganged up to make a multi-bay charger. The charger just "grips" the battery around the contacts nub, so it isn't going to be bothered about the difference in shape between a 790 and 880. I guess.

oh, any pic of this charger?
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-08-31 9:19 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Images below.

Some additional information:

The NEC part number is actually OP-570-75501. The power supply output is a whopping 24V and 1 A.

Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-08-31 9:21 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm having problems uploading an image. I'll get them to an external server this evening.

Some additional information:

The NEC part number is actually OP-570-75501. The power supply output is a whopping 24V and 1 A.

Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-08-31 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-08-31 8:39 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Very nice, looks like it would work fine with an 800/880 battery...and only $18 via Alancomputech...except they want nearly another $20 shipping...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 9:04 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

heh, I have that charger for my 900c. didn't know it can charge 780/790 batteries too, woo!

not sure about nec 8xx, because that charger outputs only 8.4V DC (not the AC adapter, but the charger itself.)

Rich: I got that thing in 2006, and was happy to pay 50 odd usd shipped (to hungary. thanks H2OGuru ), because they were all 75 usd without shipping otherwise, I just got lucky on ebay. Alancomputech didn't have them back then. of course I realize things changed but 38usd doesn't sound bad for this..

Edited by cmonex 2008-09-01 9:06 AM
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 10:31 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

This is abit odd. Alancomputech's website shows a picture of the 7x0 chargers as a model "2000" which is consistent with my memory of the manual that I received.

In my initial post, I accidentally put in the model number of the external 900 charger and it looks to be the same model "2000" on the pictured manual (i.e., the one for the MP7x0's).

But, my 900 battery packs don't fit into the external charger that I have. :-( The contacts look the same and the internal cells are the same, but the MP900 battery pack has a longer tab so that it won't sit into the cradle to make contact correctly.

I guess it must be a mistake on alancomputech's website. Or, there are 2 (or more) versions of the desktop charger.

Still, it's a handy thing to have.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 11:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ohh, eh, it sure looks like a 900 charger but on closer look, there is less space for the battery to fit into, so... yes, mine is for the 900. 900 batteries fit in fine. I never tried 7xx batts (and yes i remember you put that model number in first post )

I still maintain it'll be no good for 8xx

Edited by cmonex 2008-09-01 11:25 PM
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2008-09-02 7:39 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Probably no good for the 8XX, still the a/c adapter has the power needed...so maybe with a little cutting and glue...hmmmm

Rich
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 8