x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Basic interpreter for 720

Rickard5 Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 4:47 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I know this falls under the Category of Special Ed Programing, but is there a Basic Interpreter out there for the Jornada 720. Something like Chipmunk Basic for the Palm? I'm Trying to learn Embedded VB, but I'm really not having an easy time of it. I'm not too smart, and never got the swing of any of the visual environments. I'm kinda a dinosaur and a throw back to the late 70's and 80's and was never smart enough to move on past MS or Applesoft Basic, except I did do a lot of Small Talk and 4GL Database Programing. so end of the day does any one know of a simple Basic interpreter for the 720? or a Small Talk interpreter would be the BEST On Second thought I might be better off looking for something more like the LOGO for Special Ed Students Language most of my real development is more in the world of Script Kiddy stuff, like writing cron Scripts for System V Unix and Novell Login Scripts, and DOS Batch Files. I never got the hang of any of the Visual or Object Orientated Environments!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 7:14 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

nsbasic maybe?
 Top of the page
Rickard5 Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 7:51 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

cmonex Thanks for suggesting NSBasic, I've Got a copy and tried to play with it, but it's really too much of a Object orientated language. I hate to keep going on about it but I really need a Remedial Text based linear Programing Environment. I was a child of the 70's so like I say I'm still sort of Stuck in the Days of

20 for x=1to100
30 print x
40 let k = x*3.14112
50 Print K
60 Next x
70 end
RUN

Seriously I've been Using Basica and Applesoft Interger basic for so long I just don't get the concepts of Visual languages.
Aldo To the rest of the Forun I appolgise for the mistake of this thread Posting twice it was an accident
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 10:59 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Rickards,

Are you still trying to suck in and manipulate racecar data?

How big are these files?

Over the coffee room table, I've shot the breeze with some grad students that were doing the same thing (well, kinda sorta... they were taking some serious hits because of the data density, but from their POV they were doing "something new" ... beats me if it really was) and I was curious about your application.

PM me, if you feel the information is too far afield for hpcfactor.

Thanks.
 Top of the page
hmascience Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 11:00 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

[please delete -- duplicate post]

Edited by hmascience 2008-09-01 11:05 AM
 Top of the page
Rickard5 Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 2:12 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

hmascience - 2008-09-01 9:59 AM
Are you still trying to suck in and manipulate racecar data?

How big are these files?

Over the coffee room table, I've shot the breeze with some grad students that were doing the same thing (well, kinda sorta... they were taking some serious hits because of the data density, but from their POV they were doing "something new" ... beats me if it really was) and I was curious about your application.

hmascience no for this Application I'm working on an electric motor assisted bicycle for my own Commuter use. I'm real interested in monitoring several Variables like Monitoring like Voltage and Current Draw, Battery Drain, and using hall effect Sensors to monitor Wheel, and motor RPM that will also Give me MPH data, so I can work to optimize the Mechanics, and the Allen Braidey Programmable speed Controller , I was able to Salvage. now when I mentioned the Race Pac Stuff, what you have to remember is the Race Pac it's self is a Realtime Data Logger, and all Data is pulled from it in Batch dump. Now I suspect that the "data density" problem your friends are refureing to is one of 2 things Either they are trying too hard to monitor things that realy don't matter, like the F1, and sporty car guys do. I'll give you an example, We had a friend that was an engineer for elf, and he was working on some new Chamber and Port modifications for the Cosworth Indy car engine, and they were using a Desktop Cray YMP to do the Data Acquisition on these Lead Crystal Quartz Heads where they were collecting something like 2048 Channels of Data at something Overly Crazy like 12 KHZ Sample Rate!

The other possible "data density" problem your friends are refuring to is they are trying to collect too many channels at to high a Frequency using a Consumer Windows OS though a slow USB Bus. Years ago Att- Bell Labs developed a Real time Unix OS called Plan9 that even today with such a small limited user base is still an excellent DAQ OS

but for my little Project I'm only using a $25 4 CHANNEL DAQ , working @ maybe 24-48 Hz sample Rate. I'm thinking I'll need 2 720's to get 8 channels of Data logged.
If you are interested in working on aor talking about Realtime Projects on the hand helds Please PM me I'm always up to chat about Real time stuff !
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 4:00 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

There was something called BasiCE, but it goes back to the CE 1 days, and I don't know if there was ever an ARM version.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-01 11:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

those days of basic are long gone - maybe you can hire a programmer to do this job.
 Top of the page
Rickard5 Page Icon Posted 2008-09-02 12:55 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

There not over just less popular as long as I have an Apple ][ or a dos 3.3 box the days of MS BAsic are here to stay

Edited by Rickard5 2008-09-02 12:55 AM
 Top of the page
carld Page Icon Posted 2009-01-06 10:58 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

You could run GW basic or QBasic under PocketDos on your 720. It's not exactly an efficient solution, but for a specialized program you don't plan to distribute it should work well enough.

Carl
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 9