x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sharp Telios HC-AJ3 - need a miracle !

1 2
tristar1a Page Icon Posted 2008-09-02 11:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello everyone,
My first post here, apologies in advance if I'm not following protocol

I was wondering if anyone could help me with something. I got a gift from a Japanese friend of mine of a brand new Sharp Telios HC-AJ3 with HPC 2000.....

....He's Japanese, and didn't think of that minor problem of language when he bought it... the Telios is entirely in Japanese.

Is there any way at all I could get it switched over to English ?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated (I'll even burn incense for the right one ! )
I've only got little hair left to tear out, I've tried (or I think I have) everything....

Thanks in advance guys...
John.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2008-09-04 3:41 PM
#
H/PC Elite

They did give english support on some.

There was also a Japanese guy that did some in Japan but Sharp and others stop support on these awhile back.

Welcome to the forums!

S/F<
CEYA!

Top of the page
tristar1a Page Icon Posted 2008-09-04 7:33 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks Ceya,
I was also hoping there would be some other rom I could download that might perhaps do the job, guess that's too much to hope for on some Japanese machines. Still, it looks like a really nice machine to use.

Any ideas ?

Regards,
John.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 6:42 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

get the english mui package for hpc2000 japanese devices off my site.

http://hpcmonex.net, go to geared page, you'll find it there

p.s. how come it is brand new? any pics?

Edited by cmonex 2008-09-05 6:44 AM
 Top of the page
Jesus Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 1:55 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

cmonex - 2008-09-05 6:42 AM

Hmm, you have a solution for everything, almost
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 2:35 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I'd like to hear more about this device too. It has a Toshiba MIPS 3922 processor like another Sharp-connected machine, the Intermec 6651, with a faster speed (148 MHz as opposed to the 6651's 129 MHz). Given how lightning-fast my 6651 performs, I'd be interested in the speed of the HC-AJ3.
 Top of the page
complicated
complicated Page Icon Posted 2008-09-09 4:02 AM
#
cmonex - 2008-09-05 6:42 AM

Hi cmonex,

Just out of curiosity, will this package translate text of popup messages from the hpc2000, or just that of menu items and icons?

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-09-22 11:09 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

complicated: much more than just menu items try it if you have a japanese device.
 Top of the page
complicated
complicated Page Icon Posted 2008-09-28 12:13 AM
#
Thanks cmonex, I did.

I bought a Sharp HC-VJ2C, and had the English UI installed. Strangely, it translate Japanese UI only selectively. For instance, only three or four items in the "Control Pannel" are display in English, namely Display, Ower, Regional Setting, and World Clock. Others remain in Japanese. Nothing on the Start Menue is changed. UI of Office Word and Excel are completely in English (Great!).

Is there any set up I need to do after installation, or that's the way it's supposed to be?

BTW, I am experiencing problem with unpluging thumb drive from the usb port. With usbClik running, the machine works fine with my thumb drive, until I tried to unplug it and the machine froze. Unpluging usb mouse is not a problem, though.

Grateful for any help.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2008-09-28 1:04 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Sharp makes cute stuff. I may try to find one though I have the thinnest Sharp notebook (0.67-inch) at the time (~2002). The notebook even has a retractable keyboard.

Um, I saw HJ1 and HJ2, but no HJ3.
http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/auc?p=Telios&auccat=0
As Yahoo Japan teamed up with ebay, we should be able to get some cuties from Japan. I have not seen ebay login yet. Last year, Yahoo Japan users began to log in to ebay to buy stuff outside Japan. They said we could do the opposite way soon.

Edited by CAuser 2008-09-28 1:25 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-28 2:45 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Good news indeed.

(envisions CE device collection growing)
 Top of the page
tristar1a Page Icon Posted 2008-10-07 1:53 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Sorry about the delay in my reply, travelling from Japan to England and back to Dubai then back to Seoul is just NOT fun if not done correctly :/

The device is new as Sofmap has recently started a purge on some of their older inventory. The Telios, a whole bunch of Zauruses, HP Jornadas, IPAQs and some other interesting stuff for sale at some pretty interesting prices. Sadly, what they're lacking in tends to be software for us non Japanese speakers.

Had a field day in Nagoya station and in Osaka, ended up missing my train twice as a result :/ station staff reissuing my ticket shaking their heads and writing me off as "yet another foreigner". Not an easy feat after coming out of a Sofmap purge sale.......

I'd be happy to upload pics of the Telios, can someone tell me how to do it... I still haven't had a chance to try it out properly though, so I don't know how effective the english conversion is. I'll post updates as soon as I can

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-10-07 4:18 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Just click on "Attach a file after posting" before clicking "Submit" for a reply to the thread. The next page will ask you to navigate to the file on your computer. (Make sure the image file is less than 100k in size, and in JPG, GIF, or PNG format. If the original file is in BMP format, you can convert it in the Paint accessory app in desktop Windows.)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-10-07 8:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

complicated - 2008-09-28 6:13 AM

I bought a Sharp HC-VJ2C, and had the English UI installed. Strangely, it translate Japanese UI only selectively. For instance, only three or four items in the "Control Pannel" are display in English, namely Display, Ower, Regional Setting, and World Clock. Others remain in Japanese. Nothing on the Start Menue is changed. UI of Office Word and Excel are completely in English (Great!).

Is there any set up I need to do after installation, or that's the way it's supposed to be?

it is like that i'm afraid, custom items will not be translated, only what is part of the OS.

start menu can be changed by renaming folders under \windows and in registry - programs will still want to install to the japanese "programs" but we fixed that on ce.net (sigmarion) by patching ceshell mui maybe, I haven't looked at that on hpc2000. basically you need to find a resource string and change it to "Program Files", I'll try to dig up old notes on this if you want.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2008-10-07 8:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

tristar1a - 2008-10-07 7:53 PM

Sorry about the delay in my reply, travelling from Japan to England and back to Dubai then back to Seoul is just NOT fun if not done correctly :/

The device is new as Sofmap has recently started a purge on some of their older inventory. The Telios, a whole bunch of Zauruses, HP Jornadas, IPAQs and some other interesting stuff for sale at some pretty interesting prices. Sadly, what they're lacking in tends to be software for us non Japanese speakers.

Had a field day in Nagoya station and in Osaka, ended up missing my train twice as a result :/ station staff reissuing my ticket shaking their heads and writing me off as "yet another foreigner". Not an easy feat after coming out of a Sofmap purge sale.......

I'd be happy to upload pics of the Telios, can someone tell me how to do it... I still haven't had a chance to try it out properly though, so I don't know how effective the english conversion is. I'll post updates as soon as I can

oh hey, very nice trip! what kind of prices do they have on a zaurus c1000 and on hp jornada 728? i love japanese devices
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.220 - Cached queries : 68 - Executed queries : 14