x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

PenCentra GPRS????

NightWatchman Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 7:58 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi,

I have a pencentra 200 running Handheld PC Professional Edition, v3.01

I use a WiFi card but want to be able to access the net anywhere.

I have a Smartphone which has GPRS via T-Mobile, is it possible to do this with a h/pc.

or can i connect my smart phone(MDA VARIO, has bluetooth, wifi, IR, and data cable) to my h/pc and transfer the net that way?
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 8:11 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Bluetooth is your friend... Though I guess you'll need to check which are compatible and have DUN profiles that work on your device.

IRDA is a pain in the butt as it needs to be lined up (not always convenient) and a lot of phones don't support DUN over IRDA now.

Top of the page
NightWatchman Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 8:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

sorry, whats DUN?
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 8:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Dial Up Networking
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 2:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It'd be easier if you had the H/PC 2000 ROM in your PenCentra 200 (like I have in mine) - there are several PCMCIA GPRS cards that will work in H/PC 2000 (like my Nokia D311 [D211 in Europe] or my Sierra Aircard 750). There are only a couple of GPRS cards that support H/PC Pro, and it's harder to find Bluetooth cards that will work in H/PC Pro as well. (See the Hardware Compatibility List here for more info: http://www.hpcfactor.com/hcl/ )

Connecting the phone to the PenCentra via infrared, as mr-mac mentions, is probably your best option.

Edited by CE Geek 2008-09-05 2:56 PM
 Top of the page
smb_gaiden Page Icon Posted 2008-09-05 3:08 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Re-iterate CE G's comments. I have used a Sierra AC 775 successfully in my HPC2k ROM based PC. On my PC120, I was successful with IRDA on my TMob SDA.
 Top of the page
mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2008-09-07 12:59 PM
#
H/PC Elder

I am guessing as he asked how to use his phone to connect to the internet that he has a plan with data access in which case the PCMCIA cards may not be the best.

I still stand by Bluetooth as the best option. Though looks like HPC2000 rom would be a good idea for this.

Cheers

John
 Top of the page
NightWatchman Page Icon Posted 2008-09-07 7:51 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Yeah I have a phone with a data package(unlimited)

How do I go about converting from H/PCpro to H/PC2000? sell and buy or can I upgrade?

Edited by NightWatchman 2008-09-07 7:53 PM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2008-09-08 3:01 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

It's a simple matter of swapping out the ROM chip with an H/PC 2000 one. Now finding the H/PC 2000 ROM online will be the hard part. However, there's a bunch of PenCentra 200s on eBay right now, and at least some of them have the H/PC 2000 ROM onboard. The bids are low right now, and I've been hearing that they've been going pretty cheap. Maybe picking one of those up and selling yours would be an option.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 11